Freight Conductors' Train Book available online

Wendye Ware

Hi Everyone

Images of all the pages from a 1951 U.P. Freight Conductors' Train Book and an Excel file of its contents are available online at the Laramie Railroad Depot Association's website: www.laramiedepot.org Hover on "About" and choose "Train Books" to get to the appropriate viewing/downloading page. Here is a direct link:
http://www.laramiedepot.org/About/TrainBooks/tabid/75/Default.aspx

The train book is by a conductor named J.A. Traud who rode the Laramie to Rawlins, Wyoming, Union Pacific mainline and recorded the trains from October 26 to December 6, 1951.

The Excel file has "filters" at the top of the "Headers" and "Cars" pages. They allow one to view only selected records. For example, the filters on the "Cars" workbook allow one to view only the cars from train 15, or only PRR cars, or only cars headed for Council Bluffs that are also in train 12. Tallies at the top of the page give the number of cars and the sum of the tonnages for the selected records. For example, there were 89 eastbound PFE reefers carrying grapes among the cars Traud recorded, and they totaled 4,683 tons with a tare of 2,482 tons.

An Excel viewer is available for free at Microsoft.com As far as I am able to determine, it permits one to use the filters as intended.

If you find any errors in the file or wish to suggest ways to improve its look or functionality, please let me know offlist.

Best wishes,
Larry Ostresh
Laramie, Wyoming

asychis@...

Larry,

Thanks for posting this. Making this sort of information available is
wonderful, and very useful! The Amarillo Railroad Museum has done a similar
thing with timebooks from Mr. Bill Stephens who worked for the Santa Fe from
the 1950s through the 1980s. Bill loaned us his timebooks. I scanned
them and also put all the information into Excel speadsheets and pdf files on
our website. _www.amaraillorailmusuem.com_
(http://www.amaraillorailmusuem.com) . Interesting trips from Amarillo to Clovis and/or Canadian, and on
the branches. Also a nice glimpse of the end of steam in Amarillo and
diesels from first to third generation.

I wish more of this sort of information was available. Of course
conductors' wheel reports, such as yours, are of more interest to this list, but
they are so scarce, I think timebooks help also.

I', waiting for someone to complete my "railroad data" life and offer an MP
timebook or wheel report from the Southern Illinois coal fields in the
1950s!

Jerry Michels

rockroll50401 <cepropst@...>

Thank you Larry, I've been waiting for you to do that : )
Clark Propst

Gary Roe

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "laramielarry" <larryostresh@...> wrote:

Hi Everyone

Images of all the pages from a 1951 U.P. Freight Conductors' Train Book and an Excel file of its contents are available online at the Laramie Railroad Depot Association's website: www.laramiedepot.org Hover on "About" and choose "Train Books" to get to the appropriate viewing/downloading page. Here is a direct link:
http://www.laramiedepot.org/About/TrainBooks/tabid/75/Default.aspx

I started looking at these records this AM and already have a question. The very first train has 2 car loads of "styron". A check of the internet tells me he is "a writer born in 1925"; but for some reason, I doubt that's what's in these cars. A check of the rest of the records in the Excel file brought up no more loads of this type. Could someone tell me what "styron" is?

gary roe
quincy, illinois

Jim Pickett

I think Styron is a kind of plastic or maybe a plastics manufacturer. Or perhaps William Styron was cheap and travelled by freight train to save money.

Jim Pickett