Westerfield AC&F Builder's Photos and Lot List Question

John Kellett

Hello Everyone.

I am slowly getting back into RR modeling after being neck deep into coaching/board member of a local soccer club for about 20 years. The last year I have collected a nice beginning library of Soo Line Historical Magazines and some Soo Line books. And now I see myself expanding my interests because of how the Soo interacted with The Detroit & Mackinac via Chief Wawatam (and yes, I do own a copy of "The Story of A Hand Bomber").

I have also downloaded from Google books a few ORER's & Dictionaries, which are very interesting and informative.

Ok, my question. I am finding I want to learn more, and I am very interested in purchasing Westerfield AC&F Builder's Photos and Lot List for $100.00 (covers 1899 - 1928). Does anyone own one? and how do they like it?

I have bought a few items from ePay site and when I received the CD... lets just say the documents were horribly scanned in, and unledgable.

Thank you for your help.

John K.
Saginaw, MI

Thomas Baker

John, or other knowledgeable parties:

Some time ago I noted an article about a SOO LINE sawtooth box car in
RMC. The article was helpful, but I understand that the SOO LINE
historical and technical group published a two-part series on SOO LINE
sawtooth box cars. I have tried to obtain copies of the issues
featuring these articles but have learned that they are out of print.

If anyone out there has the two issues featuring the articles, I would
be happy to pay for a photocopy. I would like to do this car in S
scale, and the articles would be helpful for such a project.

Tom

[...]

Frank Valoczy <destron@...>

I too would be interested in finding copies of these articles, same terms
as Tom said (but slightly different purpose). Thanks!

Frank Valoczy
Vancouver, BC

Thomas Baker wrote:

[...]

!DSPAM:1291,4baf9b06177558687634262!

S hed <shed999@...>

The AC&F CD is well worth the cost especially if you are planning to model from the 1890s to the 1930s. If you are going to model in that time frame then the CD is a must have.

I have the CD and I use it all the time when ever I am researching a project. And even though there is a large array of car photos, the CD provides the AC&F car lot listing for even more cars.

- Steve Hedlund, Everett, WA

To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
From: soccrdad525@yahoo.com
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 16:04:46 +0000

[...]

http://www.windowslive.com/campaign/thenewbusy?ocid=PID27925::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WM_HMP:032010_1

jim peters

Which RMC's you looking for mo/yr . . .

Jim P

Coquitlam, BC

To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com

[...]

Take your contacts everywhere
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9712959

Dennis Storzek

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Baker <bakert@...> wrote:
...I understand that the SOO LINE
historical and technical group published a two-part series on SOO LINE
sawtooth box cars. I have tried to obtain copies of the issues
featuring these articles but have learned that they are out of print.

If anyone out there has the two issues featuring the articles, I would
be happy to pay for a photocopy. I would like to do this car in S
scale, and the articles would be helpful for such a project.

Tom
Which articles are these? I should have them someplace, but... From what I recall, they are less than useful for modeling. There have been several articles about the Soo car fleet published over the years by the late Guy N. Keichefer (sp?). These are mostly a statistical analysis of the car fleet, using the totals of car types from various years ORERs. In one of the articles, Guy attempted to sort out the different details of the various groups of "sawtooth" boxcars and assign them a "type" code. This has fallen into disuse (if it was ever used at all) because more recently full builder and lot number information has come available that does a better job of explaining what is what than Guy's system. Guy's work was useful at the time it was published, but has subsequently been superseded by better information. None of the articles had darwings beyond the typical sketches found on equipment diagrams.

There are now drawings of almost all the different groups of cars. Some have been prepared from my field work and are awaiting publication, while others are the original Haskel & Barker drawings available from the Pullman Library of the Illinois Railway Museum. Why don't you take a look at the info I posted in the files area of the STMFPH list at:

Let me know (either on list or off) which group of cars you are interested in, and I will direct you to where drawings can be obtained.

Dennis