Sale of Champ Decals

tmolsen@...

List,

I just placed an order for some NYC freight decals from Champion Decal Company. Connie has officially placed the company up for sale. If the company is not sold, she plans to shut down completely.

There is a summary on the website of what is included in the sale along with photos of the worksite and cabinets. See the website at: http://www.minot.com/champ/

I am sure that all would be interested in this upcoming event. Champ has many decal sets for freight cars that are not available from MicroScale, even though some of the Champ sets are not correct as to size, the majority were undergoing revision when Rich passed away.

Hopefully someone will buy the company as a complete shutdown would make it difficult to letter a great many of the freight cars that we currently build. Not always do the decals in many of the kits we buy do the job.

Best regards,

Tom Olsen
7 Boundary Road, West Branch
Newark, Delaware, 19711-7479
(302) 738-4292 (H)
(302) 740-2897 (C)]
tmolsen@...

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Tom Olsen wrote:
Connie has officially placed the company up for sale. If the company is not sold, she plans to shut down completely. Hopefully someone will buy the company as a complete shutdown would make it difficult to letter a great many of the freight cars that we currently build. Not always do the decals in many of the kits we buy do the job.
I couldn't agree more, Tom, but in conversations with Connie it is clear that they do not wish to have the business professionally valued, but are simply setting a very high price, based I guess on their personal feelings for how great a business it is (or was). This is common with hobby businesses, where individuals have poured a great deal of themselves into the work and cannot conceive that it might not be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars.
This is not to criticize Connie--she has labored mightily in recent years to keep Champ alive, and is certainly entitled to every buck she can get from the sale--but I personally doubt her pricing ideas will find a buyer.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Charlie Vlk

The price of Champ should be based on what Walthers got for their decal business......

....from what I understand, they offered the whole works.... screens, plates, etc... to whoever would back a truck up to the warehouse and get rid of it for them. Presumably Whatever research materials existed long since passed over to the manufacturing side of WKW.
They didn't have any takers from what I've heard. The only thing of value for a non-digital based business would be the source material and perhaps some of the original artwork if it were scanable.

Nobody (well, I probably shouldn't make that statement... almost nobody) in their right mind would base a venture on pen and ink drawing of artwork for decal production today.
The costs and quality that computer-based art and processes allow are the only viable basis for a for-profit business. Of course, we are talking about the HOBBY Industry so the rules are apparently a little different.....

We will see some viable tooling become boat anchors because of over-valuation of their worth by retiring owners. There is some stuff worth touching up (maybe so much in rolling stock) but we're going to lose some nice building kits because of this.

Charlie Vlk

Tom Olsen wrote:
> Connie has officially placed the company up for sale. If the company
> is not sold, she plans to shut down completely. Hopefully someone
> will buy the company as a complete shutdown would make it difficult
> to letter a great many of the freight cars that we currently build.
> Not always do the decals in many of the kits we buy do the job.

I couldn't agree more, Tom, but in conversations with Connie it
is clear that they do not wish to have the business professionally
valued, but are simply setting a very high price, based I guess on
their personal feelings for how great a business it is (or was). This
is common with hobby businesses, where individuals have poured a great
deal of themselves into the work and cannot conceive that it might not
be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars.
This is not to criticize Connie--she has labored mightily in
recent years to keep Champ alive, and is certainly entitled to every
buck she can get from the sale--but I personally doubt her pricing
ideas will find a buyer.

Publishers of books on railroad history

WILLIAM PARDIE

Is Champ still selling their decals? I placed an online order last
month and did not get a reply. I wasn't sure if it was them or my lack
of computer skills.

Bill pardie

Tom Olsen wrote:
[...]

al_brown03

They sure are. I placed an order the first of this month, and have received it.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

Tom Olsen wrote:
[...]

4/5/2010 Bill Pardie wrote

Is Champ still selling their decals? I placed an online order last
month and did not get a reply. I wasn't sure if it was them or my lack
of computer skills.

I made an order last week from Champ, and got an automated reply, but
there has been no other email nor any charge to my credit card. Someone
posted that Champ was shutting down... perhaps they already have?

Tim O'Connor

Jim Hayes

Like we sometimes tell others, why not call and ask. 701-852-4938.

Someone did say Champ was shutting down for sure at the end of September.

Jim Hayes
Portland Oregon
www.sunshinekits.com

On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 2:50 PM, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...>wrote:

4/5/2010 Bill Pardie wrote

Is Champ still selling their decals? I placed an online order last
month and did not get a reply. I wasn't sure if it was them or my lack
of computer skills.
I made an order last week from Champ, and got an automated reply, but
there has been no other email nor any charge to my credit card. Someone
posted that Champ was shutting down... perhaps they already have?

pennsylvania1954

Calling them is not a bad idea, but they are only filling orders--and answering the phone--Tues, Wed, Thur.

Steve Hoxie
Pensacola FL

--- In STMFC@..., Jim Hayes <jimhayes97225@...> wrote:

Like we sometimes tell others, why not call and ask. 701-852-4938.

Someone did say Champ was shutting down for sure at the end of September.

Jim Hayes
Portland Oregon
www.sunshinekits.com

mforsyth127

Tim O'Connor wrote:

4/5/2010 Bill Pardie wrote

Is Champ still selling their decals? I placed an online order last
month and did not get a reply. I wasn't sure if it was them or my lack
of computer skills.

I made an order last week from Champ, and got an automated reply, but
there has been no other email nor any charge to my credit card. Someone
posted that Champ was shutting down... perhaps they already have?

I placed an order online last Wednesday (9-9), money was transfered from PayPal on 9-11, decals arrived this AM in the mail.

Matt Forsyth

Modeling the D&H Penn Division
Erie Jefferson Division
In O Scale, Summer 1952

http://mattforsyth.com

Visit my D&H Steam Era Yahoo Group at:

Ken O'Brien

I just received an order from them on Saturday. Their invoice says they are closing the doors at the end of September. HTH

Ken O'Brien