Freight car distribution - a Question

Jim Betz

Hi,

A question for Mike Brock and/or the moderators of this group.

Are discussions of model train layout "train make up" methods
OK for this group?

I'm talking about how our layout trains are manipulated/handled
and how that relates to the G-N model and other such prototype
activities. It is the other side of the same coin - but the
focus would be more on how we do stuff like "set" a layout for a
run ... and how that relates to what actually happened on the
prototype ... rather than mostly about the prototype with hints
at how that might be used on a layout.

I realize that this doesn't fit the raison d'etre of this list
exactly. But we keep dropping hints about stuff like how G-N
might be used on our layouts in order to make up trains. So ...
I'm asking ... perhaps we can open up this for some limited time
such as just for one week?
- Jim

Mike Brock <brockm@...>

Jim Betz asks:

I'm talking about how our layout trains are manipulated/handled
and how that relates to the G-N model and other such prototype
activities. It is the other side of the same coin - but the
focus would be more on how we do stuff like "set" a layout for a
run ... and how that relates to what actually happened on the
prototype ... rather than mostly about the prototype with hints
at how that might be used on a layout.

I realize that this doesn't fit the raison d'etre of this list
exactly. But we keep dropping hints about stuff like how G-N
might be used on our layouts in order to make up trains. So ...
I'm asking ... perhaps we can open up this for some limited time
such as just for one week?
Well, we need to keep in mind that the objective of the STMFC includes the sharing of
information about North American, standard gauge railroad freight cars in
the period 1900-1960 inclusive
including their operation,
distribution and the various techniques of building
models of them. Emphasis is to
be placed on the study of the prototype with
a goal of producing models of them with as great a degree of accuracy as
possible."

So, certainly discussions about the distribution of prototype frt cars is within the scope of the group. As far as how our layout trains are manipulated/handled and how that relates to the G-N model, I think it will only be in scope as it relates to actual RR's. IOW, techniques describing card systems for model RR operation are only remotely associated with the STMFC's subject and, thus, are out of scope. Similarly, operation by itself of model RR's is out of scope. Operation of real RR's is only in scope as it reflects on frt car matters.

Mike Brock...putting on his head judge robes as STMFC Owner