waybills, etc (was Re: Freight car Distribution)

Tim O'Connor

Fast forward to about 7:30 into this Milwaukee Road video -- very
illuminating!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-_u21pg2_M

Tim O'Connor

Tony Thompson can answer better than I can. But if I
understood his clinic correctly, the Agent wrote the empty car order
and waybill BEFORE the car was spotted for loading. So the waybill,
with the car # typed on it, was already completed.
Paul Koehler answered this clearly. I can add this: the
empty car bill was filled out by the yard forces that SENT it to be
loaded, in response (as you say) to an order for an empty car. The
shipper almost always filled out a bill of lading, which gave
particulars of the load and destination. The agent could THEN complete
a waybill, but this was by no means a final piece of paperwork. Agents
were not experts in tariffs or even (many times) in routing, and that
part of the waybill would likely be adjusted by knowledgeable car
clerks farther along in the process. The weight might not be known, if
the car was to be weighed after loading; and as mentioned, loading
multiple cars would require all the waybills to OMIT car initials and
number until that information was available. That might be when the
local came back by the depot after pulling the cars.

Therefore, I conclude that if the industry randomly loads the
car, the paperwork would have to be changed.
Oh, yes, paperwork could be and was changed all the time.

Tony Thompson