new decals added

jerryglow2

I'm gradually adding new sets to my small line of specality decals:
http://home.comcast.net/~jerryglow/decals.html
Recent additions include sets for ACL and P&LE/PMcK&Y rebuilt boxcars, and a single door version of the Soo Line AAR '37 w/ $ sign logo.

My niche is (without criticizing the manufacturers) replacement sets for lesser quality offerings especially in F&C and Tichy kits and "bashable" projects for which no decals exist.

I may be interested in adding a set not listed: as usual, contact me OFF LIST

Jerry Glow

jerryglow2

At John Golden's suggestion, I modified the ACL rebuilt boxcar set to make one for an AAR '37. So you now have your choice (or get both)

Jerry Glow

--- In STMFC@..., jerryglow@... wrote:

I'm gradually adding new sets to my small line of specality decals:
http://home.comcast.net/~jerryglow/decals.html
Recent additions include sets for ACL and P&LE/PMcK&Y rebuilt boxcars, and a single door version of the Soo Line AAR '37 w/ $ sign logo.

My niche is (without criticizing the manufacturers) replacement sets for lesser quality offerings especially in F&C and Tichy kits and "bashable" projects for which no decals exist.

I may be interested in adding a set not listed: as usual, contact me OFF LIST

Jerry Glow

Michael Aufderheide

Jerry,

Are the ACL rebuild changes to the Tichy model described in a magazine article, or is it simpler than that? Sounds like a car I would like to make.

Mike Aufderheide

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups. com, jerryglow@.. . wrote:

I'm gradually adding new sets to my small line of specality decals:
http://home. comcast.net/ ~jerryglow/ decals.html
Recent additions include sets for ACL and P&LE/PMcK&Y rebuilt boxcars, and a single door version of the Soo Line AAR '37 w/ $ sign logo.

My niche is (without criticizing the manufacturers) replacement sets for lesser quality offerings especially in F&C and Tichy kits and "bashable" projects for which no decals exist.

I may be interested in adding a set not listed: as usual, contact me OFF LIST

Jerry Glow

Benjamin Hom

Mike Aufderheide wrote:
"Are the ACL rebuild changes to the Tichy model described in a
magazine article, or is it simpler than that? Sounds like a car I
would like to make."

Mike, not sure which magazine article you're referencing; at any
rate, I wouldn't start with the Tichy HO scale model as it's too
tall and has the wrong roof for the ACL USRA DS rebuilds. Instead,
I'd start with either the Atlas "Rebuilt" boxcar with 5/5/5 ends and
fishbelly underframe (part no 6400-1 undec), rework the side sills
for the proper support brackets and inset, and change out the
trucks; or go with Sunshine kits 64.67-64.70 out of the box.
http://www.atlasrr.com/HOFreight/hosteelrebuilt.htm
http://www.sunshinekits.com/sunimages/sun64h.pdf

FWIW, the Atlas car is a hermaphrodite that doesn't accurately model
any rebuilt SS or DS boxcar; however, the 5/5/5 end version is
closest to the ACL/C&WC/SL-SF prototypes and can be kitbashed as
discussed above.

Ben Hom

Michael Aufderheide

Ben,

I was asking IF the model had been described in a magazine article.  It doesn't sound like it, but I appreciate your suggestions.  Thank you for the information!  Kitbashes like this are always fun.

Mike Aufderheide

[...]

Sorry - been busy setting up the old computer that was downgraded to the train room. The ACL set was inspired by my friend Steve Hoxie who I'm hoping will write it up perhaps in the SCL-Modeler (cuz I know John Golden has been pumping him for input).

I did a similar one years ago for Frisco (see:
http://home.comcast.net/~jerryglow/modeling/SLSF_rebuilt.html
You cut the side/roof casting apart and discard the roof scratching a new one from sheet and strip stock. Assemble the "box" using Tichy's 5-5-5 ends and an Accurail USRA underframe (necessary because the kit is a rebuild from a 50ton SS car and we're modeling a one from a 40ton DS car).

I can go into further detail if necessary but that's the basics.

Jerry Glow

--- In STMFC@..., Mike Aufderheide <mononinmonon@...> wrote:

[...]

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Jerry;

Would you be interested in doing some 1952+ EJ&E box cars decals in the
Billboard orange and green schemes? There are Sunshine mini-kits and other
(incl Branchline 8' dr car) bashes that can be done, for both the 10' and
10'6" IH cars, and photos of same in both new EJ&E book and in old RMJ. There
are also B&W photos in the RPCyc that contained the article on 10' IH cars. I
do not know why no one has done those cars, but it is true!

Elden Gatwood

--- In STMFC@... <mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com> , Mike