Those pesky 40-foot FGE/WFE/BRE/NX steel reefers

WaltGCox@...

Great idea, I could use about 8 such bodies. Walt

In a message dated 5/13/2010 10:15:25 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
midcentury@... writes:

Bill mentions his dread concerning the ladder carving on the ends. Perhaps
Dennis could do us STMFC'ers a favor, and hold off to last the cutting in
the end ladders, and run some bodies with the "unfinished" ends, letting
them be available to us who appreciate such generosity.

Bill Welch

Not to pick too many nits, but technically speaking the hinged doors on reefers are "plug doors" are they not? I have come to prefer "sliding door" and "hinged door' in talking about reefer doors.

From the way Dennis describes the hinged door car version Accurail is doing (diagonal panel roof, improved Dreadnaught ends), these are cars built for FGE (500), WFE (250), BRE (200), and MNX (100) in 1949. I am planning to post a table showing all of the 40-foot steel cars owned by the FGE/WFE/BRE consortium. I have just noticed I did not describe the ends in the table, so I need to fix that. Any of you that have my handout from Naperville or Cocoa Beach on the steel cars has this table. There were variations on the sill configurations, should be an easy fix. The BRE and MNX versions had door handles at a 45 degree angle (or 135 degrees) rather than the usual 90 degrees, another easy fix.

What I am dreading is carving the ladders off of the ends.

Bill Welch

--- In STMFC@..., "devansprr" <devans1@...> wrote:

Yes, plug door version also. Walthers got the info for the 2011 catalog, due out next October; we haven't put any info up because I didn't think Walthers was going to put it up this early. At this point, we are likely looking at a October release. The plug door car will be 8500 series SKU's, and will likely be out first.

The plug door car is specifically a WFEX car (don't have the numbers handy) but FGEX and BREX both had similar cars. spotting features include diagonal panel roof, improved Dreadnaught ends with the one "squished" rib, and plain lapped side sheets with single rivet rows.

The swing door car will have the same roof and ends; most likely double rivet rows (hat section posts).

As planned now, both cars will have acetal sill steps and brake rodding, like our gondola kit.

Now, I need to get back to work on them.

Dennis Storzek
Accurail, Inc.
Dennis,

From what I can find, these cars started being built during WWII, and being in the WWII modeler minority (as opposed to all of the transition era modelers on this esteemed list), a WFEX with only "Great Northern" in the herald, and Ventilator-Refrigerator on the side would be greatly appreciated (swing door only). A good picture of such a lettering scheme is on the RPI site.

A small group of cars is listed under WFEX in the '43 ORER, an additional numbers are reserved for a new group of cars, but noted to be 5 inches taller inside and out than the first batch already built. This is the only ORER I have - don't know for sure if the subsequent cars were taller.

Keep up all the great work! Really appreciate your selling steam era freight car kits!

Dave Evans
(A late arriving SPF who knows not to use hyphens, but has actually encountered one or two official PRR documents with hyphens - don't tell anyone ;-)

Andy Carlson

Bill mentions his dread concerning the ladder carving on the ends. Perhaps Dennis could do us STMFC'ers a favor, and hold off to last the cutting in the end ladders, and run some bodies with the "unfinished" ends, letting them be available to us who appreciate such generosity.

I remember years ago Terry Wegmann ran a few sets of his "Details West" R-40-23 dreadnaught end w/o ladder brackets. Boy, I wish I had grabbed a couple more of those...
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

________________________________
From: lnbill <fgexbill@...>

What I am dreading is carving the ladders off of the ends.

Bill Welch

-

Andrew Miller <aslmmiller@...>

I knew someone would be introducing a 40' plug door iced reefer soon, because I just finished a project to build 15 of them using the old Trains Miniature sides with I/M roofs and ends and an Accurail floor. For the FGEX-WFEX-BREX cars as well as the PFE R40-26 I used the I/M diagonal panel roof and improved dreadnought ends from the R40-25 they did some years ago for the Amarillo Museum. For the various models of SFRD cars I used the I/M SFRD ends and SFRD, rectangular or diagonal panel roofs and straight or fishbelly centersill Accurail floors depending on the SFRD model.

Now to my point. The same technique might be tried to improve the forthcomming Accurail cars. Instead of carving ladders off the ends, you might replace the ends with I/M ends!

regards,

Andy Miller

From: lnbill <fgexbill@...>

What I am dreading is carving the ladders off of the ends.

Bill Welch

-

Tim O'Connor

What I am dreading is carving the ladders off of the ends.

Bill Welch

Bill, I think Stan R. may make correct resin ends for these
cars. I'd just cut off the Accurail ends and replace them. I
avoid carving at all costs :-)

Tim O'Connor

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Walt Cox wrote (about avoiding carving ladders off the Accurail ends):
Great idea, I could use about 8 such bodies.
Or maybe just provide plain ends as parts. That seems at least as practical as running shots with "unfinished" dies.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Frederick Freitas <prrinvt@...>

Tony,

        If only we could convince the manufacturers to add those ends to the parts spru !!
The worst they can do is sell 4 times the amount of kits, easily.

Fred Freitas

________________________________
Walt Cox wrote (about avoiding carving ladders off the Accurail ends):
Great idea, I could use about 8 such bodies.
Or maybe just provide plain ends as parts. That seems at least
as practical as running shots with "unfinished" dies.

Publishers of books on railroad history

SUVCWORR@...

Or Accurail could introduce a "premium" line without the grabs, ladders etc molded on in limited quantities then re-cut the dies to add the modled on parts. Since most who want the cars without the details use wire for grabs and ladders, IMHO, it would not be necessary to include these parts.

Rich Orr

I knew someone would be introducing a 40' plug door iced reefer soon, because I
ust finished a project to build 15 of them using the old Trains Miniature sides
ith I/M roofs and ends and an Accurail floor. For the FGEX-WFEX-BREX cars as
ell as the PFE R40-26 I used the I/M diagonal panel roof and improved
readnought ends from the R40-25 they did some years ago for the Amarillo
useum. For the various models of SFRD cars I used the I/M SFRD ends and SFRD,
ectangular or diagonal panel roofs and straight or fishbelly centersill
ccurail floors depending on the SFRD model.
Now to my point. The same technique might be tried to improve the forthcomming
ccurail cars. Instead of carving ladders off the ends, you might replace the
nds with I/M ends!
regards,
Andy Miller

Bill mentions his dread concerning the ladder carving on the ends. Perhaps
ennis could do us STMFC'ers a favor, and hold off to last the cutting in the
nd ladders, and run some bodies with the "unfinished" ends, letting them be
vailable to us who appreciate such generosity.
I remember years ago Terry Wegmann ran a few sets of his "Details West"
-40-23 dreadnaught end w/o ladder brackets. Boy, I wish I had grabbed a couple
ore of those...
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA
From: lnbill <fgexbill@...>
What I am dreading is carving the ladders off of the ends.
Bill Welch
-

Individual Email | Traditional
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/