Terry Wegmann PFE R-30-16 conversion sets

Andy Carlson

Many will remember the special run Terry Wegmann made 7 years ago of R-30-16 conversion sets, made to change a Red Caboose R-30-12 into the steel roofed rebuild class of R-30-16s, a very large class of PFE reefers. According to Terry, in the post WWll era, this was the most numerous class of reefers on the PFE roster.

Briefly, Terry machined his R-30-18 steel roof to fit the RC body. He also machined the RC wooden ends to fit the roof profile. These parts are included in the set, including steel hatch covers, styrene strip for the end fascia, pre-bent wire roof grabs, molded styrene Bettendorf cross-bearers (to replace the poorly executed ones from the RC kit) and a R-30-18 wood running board (injection molded styrene).

I have been out of these for about 2 years, until this morning when I uncovered an overlooked one dozen of these sets.

I am offering these, the last ones available (Terry has stated that he will not make anymore), for $16.00 each. Shipping is $1.80 in a padded envelope.

I also have 2 of the latest run of RC undec kits as the donor cars for this conversion.
I will sell these for $32.00, shipping postpaid, with a conversion set included. I have only 2 of these.

If interested, contact me off-list at <midcentury@sbcglobal.net>

I accept PayPal, personal checks, and money orders. Thanks Mike, and to all of you out there,
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

Bill Welch

These build into really nice models! An unpaid and unsolicited endorsement.

Bill Welch

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Andy Carlson <midcentury@...> wrote:

[...]

jerryglow2

pullmanboss <tcmadden@...>

Andy Carlson wrote:

Many will remember the special run Terry Wegmann made 7 years ago of R-30-16 conversion sets, made to change a Red Caboose R-30-12 into the steel roofed rebuild class of R-30-16s, a very large class of PFE reefers.
Hmmmm. My R-30-16 kit from Terry says it's "For R-30-9 (Red Caboose #4250)".

Tom Madden

Tim O'Connor

Tom, that's right. I think people just forget that Red Caboose actually
made two different PFE reefers, the R-30-12 and the R-30-9 rebuilds (that
were originally tagged R-30-12-9).

Tim O'Connor

Andy Carlson wrote:

Many will remember the special run Terry Wegmann made 7 years ago of R-30-16 conversion sets, made to change a Red Caboose R-30-12 into the steel roofed rebuild class of R-30-16s, a very large class of PFE reefers.
Hmmmm. My R-30-16 kit from Terry says it's "For R-30-9 (Red Caboose #4250)".

Tom Madden

Andy Carlson

Tom, you are right. The R-30-12 is too low in height. Thanks for pointing out my mistake.

-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

________________________________
Many will remember the special run Terry Wegmann made 7 years ago of R-30-16 conversion sets, made to change a Red Caboose R-30-12 into the steel roofed rebuild class of R-30-16s, a very large class of PFE reefers.
Hmmmm. My R-30-16 kit from Terry says it's "For R-30-9 (Red Caboose #4250)".

Tom Madden

Bill Welch

Hi Jerry

I like your model. I did mine using a special order Champ set of UP heralds with the red and white stripes reversed. There is a photo of one of these in the PFE book and I have since seen a second photo of a car with this herald variation, one of the 47' cars as I recall. This was when Champ was doing custom Alps versions from their art work. Some others on this list participated in this order.

Bill Welch

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, jerryglow@... wrote:

The model, completed when Terry first started doing them:
http://home.comcast.net/~jerryglow/modeling/PFE_74492R-A_end.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~jerryglow/modeling/PFE_74492R-B_end.jpg

Jerry Glow
http://home.comcast.net/~jerryglow/decals.html

[...]

Bruce Smith

"Tim O'Connor" <timboconnor@comcast.net> 05/19/10 7:48 PM >>>
Tom, that's right. I think people just forget that Red Caboose actually
made two different PFE reefers, the R-30-12 and the R-30-9 rebuilds
(that
were originally tagged R-30-12-9).

Tim O'Connor

Tim, folks,

Absolutely! The Wegman/RC kitbash models an R-30-12-16. The R-30-12-16s
were rebuilt from R-30-12 cars, to R-30-12-9 specs so the RC R-30-12-9
(or R-30-9) is the appropriate raw material as it yelids the correct
height body. R-30-13-12s were also used for R-30-16 conversions so for
the more adventurous, the R-30-13-16 variant can be modeled with the RC
R-30-9 body, the Wegman roof and either a Wegman (R-30-18) or Tichy
underbody (R-40-2/4) . If you have a Wegman R-30-18 kit, you can use
the leftover RC underbody to model the R-30-12-18, instead of the
R-30-13-18, which that kit models.

God, I LOVE PFE reefer classes!!

Regards
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

pullmanboss <tcmadden@...>

Bruce Smith offers this clarification:

The Wegman/RC kitbash models an R-30-12-16. The R-30-12-16s
were rebuilt from R-30-12 cars, to R-30-12-9 specs so the RC R-30-12-9
(or R-30-9) is the appropriate raw material as it yelids the correct
height body. R-30-13-12s were also used for R-30-16 conversions so for
the more adventurous, the R-30-13-16 variant can be modeled with the RC
R-30-9 body, the Wegman roof and either a Wegman (R-30-18) or Tichy
underbody (R-40-2/4) . If you have a Wegman R-30-18 kit, you can use
the leftover RC underbody to model the R-30-12-18, instead of the
R-30-13-18, which that kit models.
Maybe I'll just stick with steel PFE reefers.....

Tom Madden

Bruce Smith

Bruce Smith offers this clarification:

The Wegman/RC kitbash models an R-30-12-16. The R-30-12-16s
were rebuilt from R-30-12 cars, to R-30-12-9 specs so the RC R-30-12-9
(or R-30-9) is the appropriate raw material as it yelids the correct
height body. R-30-13-12s were also used for R-30-16 conversions so
for
the more adventurous, the R-30-13-16 variant can be modeled with the
RC
R-30-9 body, the Wegman roof and either a Wegman (R-30-18) or Tichy
underbody (R-40-2/4) . If you have a Wegman R-30-18 kit, you can use
the leftover RC underbody to model the R-30-12-18, instead of the
R-30-13-18, which that kit models.
To which Tom Madden replies:
Maybe I'll just stick with steel PFE reefers....
Tom,

That's BORING <VBG>. What is so much fun for me is the ability to show
the evolution of PFE design from the R-30-12/13 to the all wood
R-30-12/13-9, to the metal roofed R-30-12/13-16 to the metal roof and
ends on the R-30-12/13-18, while showing the presence of 2 differenent
underbodies (-12, -13) throughout that progression!

Regards
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

rwitt_2000

Andy Carlson wrote:

[...]

According to the announcement from IRC they state:

"HO PFE WOOD REFRIGERATOR CAR

Terry Wegman has made parts available to us to produce two
versions and several paint schemes with his PFE Wood
Refrigerator Car. These are unique cars from the transition era
produced using parts that will generate very highly detailed,
accurate models. Don't miss this great opportunity to enhance your PFE
fleet."

Regards,

Bob Witt

Andy Carlson

Yes Bob, Intermountain has announced the latest run(s) of Terry's R-30-18, -19 and -21. This is the car which Terry utilized his steel roof and hatches for his R-30-16 conversion. The -16 retains the wood car body end, which is a significant difference, in that the R-30-18+ uses an early Dreadnaught steel end.

If you think that gee, why not just substitute wood ends for Terry's -18s, and get a nicer -16 (free standing latchbars, fabricated underframe variation), remember that the wood car body side is about 4 boards wider than the steel ended car body because the steel end wraps around the sides. Terry for years planned on making a new tool for an all Wegmann -16, but now that he wishes to sell his R-30-18 tooling, he won't proceed with the project. Has anyone got $6,000???

-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

________________________________

At 5/20/2010 01:53 PM Thursday, you wrote:

Maybe I'll just stick with steel PFE reefers....
Tom,

That's BORING <VBG>. What is so much fun for me is the ability to show
the evolution of PFE design from the R-30-12/13 to the all wood
R-30-12/13-9, to the metal roofed R-30-12/13-16 to the metal roof and
ends on the R-30-12/13-18, while showing the presence of 2 differenent
underbodies (-12, -13) throughout that progression!

Regards
Bruce Smith
Bruce

Of course you know that PFE used THREE different underbodies on these
cars, right? :-) And of course, there was a gradual changeover from wood
hatches to Equipco hatches too... Multiplying the number of variations.
I think Sunshine offered 18 different physical variations and that only
covered a fraction of all of the PFE wood reefer versions. Let's not
even go into cars rebuilt with electric fans...

I think Tom's got a point!

He wants to sell the R-30-18 tooling for $6000?? I am stunned & amazed!!
I thought tooling was much more valuable than that.

Tim O'Connor

At 5/20/2010 09:29 PM Thursday, you wrote:
Yes Bob, Intermountain has announced the latest run(s) of Terry's R-30-18, -19 and -21. This is the car which Terry utilized his steel roof and hatches for his R-30-16 conversion. The -16 retains the wood car body end, which is a significant difference, in that the R-30-18+ uses an early Dreadnaught steel end.

If you think that gee, why not just substitute wood ends for Terry's -18s, and get a nicer -16 (free standing latchbars, fabricated underframe variation), remember that the wood car body side is about 4 boards wider than the steel ended car body because the steel end wraps around the sides. Terry for years planned on making a new tool for an all Wegmann -16, but now that he wishes to sell his R-30-18 tooling, he won't proceed with the project. Has anyone got $6,000???

-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

Gene <bierglaeser@...>

I am confused.

What is it that Intermountain is offering from Terry Wegmann parts, a complete car or parts to upgrade something?

Can anyone comment on the accuracy of the six (6) upcoming PFE reefers from Intermountain?

The photos in the Intermountain mailing do not seem to offer sufficient detail to permit cross-checking with the Thompson/Church/Jones book.

If I have my facts straight the 47402 PFE Experimental Stripe version was a flash in the pan and can only appear on model railroads depicting July to December 1941. I predict it will be a best seller.

Gene Green

Andy Carlson

Intermountain is building, and offering for sale, the STEEL ended wood side reefers from Parts that Terry makes from his own tooling. These are factory finished and I will be offering them for sale later this year.

Terry's conversion sets that I offered (and sold out) were for WOOD ended cars, a hybrid model consisting of Terry's parts for converting the 4150/4250 Red Caboose kit into an earlier PFE class, the R-30-16.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

________________________________

"Gene" <bierglaeser@yahoo.com> 05/21/10 9:23 AM >>>
I am confused.
What is it that Intermountain is offering from Terry Wegmann parts, a
complete car or parts to upgrade something?

Can anyone comment on the accuracy of the six (6) upcoming PFE reefers
from Intermountain?

IM appears to be offering multiple PFE classes as RTR cars using a
variety of Wegman kits and parts.

R-30-12-16, PFE Experimental Stripe
R-30-13-18, Single Herald
R-30-18, PFE Double Herald
R-40-19, PFE
R-30-21, PFE Single Herald
R-30-21, PFE Double Herald

The -16 car seems to indicate that IM has done the same kitbash that we
have been discussing. The -18 cars are built-up Wegman kits. The -19
and -21 cars need further comment form others as I am away from my
resources.

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, Al

Kurt Laughlin <fleeta@...>

Are you sure you are not confusing cost (what someone would have to pay to get it) with value (what someone is willing to pay to get it)?

KL