Wish List.... May 2010 release

Charlie Vlk

Not to rub it in, but we have TWO nice models of Enterprise steel GS gons in N Scale.... the Micro-Trains and a slightly longer Trainworx version.
Doesn't begin to balance off all the stuff that Walthers keeps making in HO but not N, but oh well......
Charlie Vlk

Mike Brock <brockm@...>

I'm always a bit amused to read wish lists for frt cars. I'll also freely admit that I no nothing about scales other than HO [ some will add HO as well ].

I suppose the criteria for asking a manufacturer to expend the loot to generate tooling for a plastic car probably should be dependent upon the number of cars that might reasonably be sold. There have been, over the years, various scenarios that might be used to project such sales. You know...the car needs to have been owned by ATSF, SP, UP, B&O, NYC, Pennsy, C&O, Central Vermont [ just checking to see if Armand Premo is awake ], Southern, GN, NP, ACL and SAL. Actually, a car owned by UP and 5 others would probably be acceptable <G>. However, is that really a good scenario? I mean, since the STMFC has shown time and again that box cars went everywhere, is there any real reason for the other 5...if we're talking box cars? Well...paraphrasing that infamous statement made by a former member of the SP 4449 crew to me at the end of Railfair 81 [ Hmmm. Denny ( Anspach )...isn't it about time for another? Denny? You there? Haven't heard from you for awhile ] when I asked if the SP dispatcher would tell us when 4449 was scheduled to leave Sacramento..."Probably Not", I'll say, Probably. Why? Simple. The STMFC still only gets to about 1650 modelers. Nevertheless, it is difficult to find a car that has not been made that would work for several of the above RR's [ a 50 ft auto car like MDC did sounds good ]. So...abandoning that criteria and speaking of box/auto cars, obviously 3 or 4 come to mind. First, the UP A-50-14 and A-50-15 with and without end doors. Second, UP A-50-19. Trix did the A-50-16...of course calling it a 19. We can add the UP B-50-19 and/or B-50-21. And, while I'm feeling generous...how about an ATSF FE-24? I mean, the thing was painted in green for express service and Mineral Brown for frt service. They could sell 2 to a real Santa Fe guy.

As usual...when this topic comes up, I find myself thinking [ no doubt in error ] that the number of prototype cars should have significance. And...as usual...presto! The AAR Alternate standard 50 ton hopper...of which C&O had about 20,000. I mean...what's the difference between 10,000 and 80,000 when it comes to frt cars? It's sorta like...can you tell the difference between 15� and 25�? I can't. In fact...below freezing [ 53�? ], I can't tell anything. But, regardless of the numbers...we'll likely have another manufacturer produce yet another AAR standfard 50 ton hopper. And...yes...hoppers of all kinds wandered all over the northeast and midwest. Uh oh...a certain dignified, well spoken and extremely knowledgeable frt car historian will no doubt imquire why I think C&O hoppers appeared in Nevada [ midwest ] so...I should say in the region Illinois and east north of Alabama/Jawga/South Carolina....including New York but perhaps not Vermontanada...wherever that is. Armand? So...if one models the C&EI, C&IM, NKP, NC&STL, L&N, Southern, PRR, NYC, B&O, Erie, D&H, RF&P, Mil, Clinchfield, Monon, DT&I, RDG, New Haven, N&W [ yes, even N&W ], IC, W&LE, LV, Wabash, B&LE, P&LE, P&WV [ I know such a modeler ], WM, DL&W, Virginian, and, of course...South Buffalo....you need C&O hoppers.

So...given that...I suppose we'll finally get an AAR Alternate Standard 50 ton hopper...eh? Well...in the words of that infamous SP dispatcher...Probably Not.

Mike Brock

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Charlie Vlk wrote:
Not to rub it in, but we have TWO nice models of Enterprise steel GS gons in N Scale.... the Micro-Trains and a slightly longer Trainworx version.
Trainworx's car s apparently 46 feet (can you confirm, Charlie?), though they freely letter it for several roads' 40-ft. cars. Sigh.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Armand Premo

Yes Mike, I am wide awake. After two days of record breaking heat.my basement offered a welcome sanctuary.Considering regional biases your mention of hoppers made me sit up and take notice.The Anthracite roads have not been given due attention along with the Virginian,Western Maryland B&O. and L&N . Rhetorically speaking,how many roads other than the Pennsy rostered quad hoppers?Personally I would like to see a Magor side dump and a Hart Ballast car.and boxcars for the B&A and TH&B.. While I have been messing with this response I missed a breathtaking sunset over Lake Champlain.Armand Premo

[...]

Frederick Freitas <prrinvt@...>

Armand,

               I second all of those you mentioned; plus a plug for the
Alternate twin off set side hopper.

Fred Freitas
kitbashing at the other end of VT

________________________________

Mike Brock wrote:
I suppose the criteria for asking a manufacturer to expend the loot to generate tooling for a plastic car probably should be dependent upon the number of cars that might reasonably be sold.
Very sound business sense, sir.

There have been, over the years, various scenarios that might be used to project such sales. You know...the car needs to have been owned by ATSF, SP, UP, B&O, NYC, Pennsy . . .
I think when we make these statements we are entirely misunderstanding the market. Modelers buy "neat stuff" above all else, even above their own favorite road. There have been some real oddball things manufactured which sold like hot cakes. So for us on the "excessively serious" end of the spectrum, what we need to do is figure out "neat stuff" which ALSO meets our needs. IF a big OR popular railroad owned it, fine, but . . . neatness, that's the thing.
Suggestions?

Publishers of books on railroad history

Charlie Vlk

Tony-
Yes, the Trainworx car is nominally 46 feet inside and the example I have (D&RGW) has that on the stenciling. They are fine models with etched ladders and stirrups. The MicroTrains car is nice as well and is of a 40 foot car. There are so many choices that one can pick and choose based on how accurate a model has to be. This can be a sliding scale, different for each roadname and prototype... and the purchase may be a placeholder until something better comes along. I try to buy the accurate release from a manufacturer and ignore the foobies in the theory that a product I don't buy because it is inaccurate doesn't offend me unless the base model has 1) major error in the tooling for its prototype or 2) totally screwed up paint job for the roadname that the carbody is accurate for.
You would never make it in N Scale. N Scalers have learned to coexist with Micro-Trains Collectors as we realize that their Smokey the Bear and Republic of Guam cars help finance new carbody types.... and besides, it is fun to see a Collector faint when you show up with a rare car that has been weathered!!!!

Charlie Vlk

Charlie Vlk wrote:
You would never make it in N Scale. N Scalers have learned to coexist with Micro-Trains Collectors as we realize that their Smokey the Bear and Republic of Guam cars help finance new carbody types.... and besides, it is fun to see a Collector faint when you show up with a rare car that has been weathered!!!!
Well, you choose your fun, Charlie, and I'll choose mine. N scale is hardly intrinsically less (or more) prototypical than other scales, though of course they got a big jump on everyone else in learning to live with RTR equipment. I am well aware that foobies can easily spell the difference between viable models and otherwise, scarcely a more prevalent point in N than in other scales.

Tony Thompson writes that I wrote:

There have been, over the years, various scenarios that might be
used to project such sales. You know...the car needs to have been
owned by ATSF, SP, UP, B&O, NYC, Pennsy . . .
I think when we make these statements we are entirely
misunderstanding the market. Modelers buy "neat stuff" above all else,..."
Actually...I quite agree. A really well done model...which has some esthetic appeal, even unique...will likely be a good seller. For example...in the locomotive world...and still within our time period...if I were going to invest in a new locomotive...I would give serious consideration to two rather unexpected choices. Jawn Henry and the Big 3 unit UP gas turbines. I would expect to sell perhaps 5 to STMFC members but I'd sell a bunch to others. And, consider. BLI is apparently going through with a 4-12-2. How many people are modeling UP where they ran? 9? MTH already has one on the market and they were available in brass. No matter. It will attract because of its "neatness"...or uniqueness.

There are no sure things in this hobby, of course, but...hmmm...I might have to acquire one of them big ol' turbines for my display case. Don't tell anyone, but IF someone produced one I'd put it next to my OMI DD40AX in the case.

But back to wishin' and a hopin'...why not a double door 40 ft auto car?

Mike Brock

David Sieber

Mike,
Re AAR Alternate Standard 50 ton offset side hoppers, please don't forget the Santa Fe and the Northern Pacific! It's not just easterners modeling the C&O, etc., that have been praying for someone finally to produce the Alternate Standard 50 ton hopper. I'd put that on a previous wish list, but neglected to mention it this time around, since the initial query was for "signature cars," and sooo many roads owned that very common hopper. And yep, as discussed on this list, yet another manufacturer (Accurail) has announced yet another AAR Standard 50 ton hopper, but still no Alternate Standard. You'd think these firms have no one that reads RPCycs.
As to documented uncommon hopper sightings, there's always that Oct 48 photo of DT&I 1437 (USRA 2-bay hopper I believe) being switched by SP 1293 at Tracy CA.
V/R, Dave Sieber, Reno NV (which is NOT in the "midwest")

--- In STMFC@..., "Mike Brock" <brockm@...> wrote:

As usual...when this topic comes up, I find myself thinking ... that the number of prototype cars should have significance. And...as usual...presto! The AAR Alternate standard 50 ton hopper...of which C&O had about 20,000. I mean...what's the difference between 10,000 and 80,000 when it comes to frt cars? But, regardless of the numbers...we'll likely have another manufacturer produce yet another AAR standard 50 ton hopper.
And...yes...hoppers of all kinds wandered all over the northeast and midwest. Uh oh...a certain dignified, well spoken and extremely knowledgeable frt car historian will no doubt imquire why I think C&O hoppers appeared in Nevada [midwest] so...I should say in the region Illinois and east north of Alabama/Jawga/South Carolina... including New York ... So...if one models the C&EI, C&IM, NKP, NC&STL, L&N, Southern, PRR, NYC, B&O, Erie, D&H, RF&P, Mil, Clinchfield, Monon, DT&I, RDG, New Haven, N&W, IC, W&LE, LV, Wabash, B&LE, P&LE, P&WV, WM, DL&W, Virginian, and, of course...South Buffalo....you need C&O hoppers.
So...given that...I suppose we'll finally get an AAR Alternate Standard 50 ton hopper...eh? Well...in the words of that infamous SP dispatcher...Probably Not.

gn3397 <heninger@...>

If I was a manufacturer looking to tool a new steam era RTR freight car, I would do the X31 in single and double door versions. There are multiple roadnames and schemes that could be done for cars that would be of appeal for modelers of the 30s through the early 70s. I know Bowser does them, but I would prefer a car with separate ladders, etc.

I think the B&O wagontop would fit nicely into the "neat" category. There are a lot of lettering variations of only one roadname, but these cars also have appeal for steam, transition, and diesel era modelers.

It would be nice to have GATC Type 30 and UTL X-3 tank cars in plastic. Hopefully we will see one or the other.

As a final note, does anyone know if Martin is going to send out a "Sun" this year, or will we all just be pleasantly surprised when we walk in the sales room? I certainly don't "need" any more resin kits, but I am sure that I will still make a contribution to the Loftons' retirement!

Sincerely,
Bob Heninger
Iowa City, IA

Steve Lucas <stevelucas3@...>

Armand--

All TH&B boxcars from the steel-frame "Fowlers" of the 'teens' to the takeover by CP Rail in the 1970's have been produced in HO. Westerfield makes the 36' "Fowler" and a kit for the USRA double-sheathed boxcars that TH&B got from the NYC in the 1930's. Branchline and Intermountain made a 40', 10'-6" ih. steel boxcar decorated for TH&B.

Steve Lucas.