From: frtcar <staffan.ehnbom@...>
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Fri, May 28, 2010 3:40:45 PM
Subject: [STMFC] IC 40' box car decal

Where can I find lettering for an HO 40' IC box car like the 18629 in the photo on p. 22 of the RP Cyc 4? The Champ set no. HB-150 seems a bit oversized judging by the Champ Lettering Plan Book. Thanks in advance,

Staffan Ehnbom

Staffan, the Illinois Central (steam era) has really gotten the
short end of the stick decal-wise, even while Dan Kohlberg has
produced a boatload of beautiful IC/ICG decals for the post-STMFC
era. Even CDS, and Mark Vaughan, ignored the IC. I sent a copy of
a beautiful photo of IC 20223 (stenciled for automobile engine
hope they would produce a model of the IC "1940" AAR box cars but
no luck there either. I agree with you about the shortcomings of
Champ HB-150 but that's just about all there is...

Tim O'Connor

At 5/28/2010 03:40 PM Friday, you wrote:
Where can I find lettering for an HO 40' IC box car like the 18629 in the photo on p. 22 of the RP Cyc 4? The Champ set no. HB-150 seems a bit oversized judging by the Champ Lettering Plan Book. Thanks in advance,

Staffan Ehnbom

Maybe Jerry Glow would be interested? He does some great looking accurate sets.

Rich Christie

Staffan, the Illinois Central (steam era) has really gotten the
short end of the stick decal-wise, even while Dan Kohlberg has
produced a boatload of beautiful IC/ICG decals for the post-STMFC
era. Even CDS, and Mark Vaughan, ignored the IC. I sent a copy of
a beautiful photo of IC 20223 (stenciled for automobile engine
hope they would produce a model of the IC "1940" AAR box cars but
no luck there either. I agree with you about the shortcomings of
Champ HB-150 but that's just about all there is...

Tim O'Connor

At 5/28/2010 03:40 PM Friday, you wrote:
Where can I find lettering for an HO 40' IC box car like the 18629 in the photo on p. 22 of the RP Cyc 4? The Champ set no. HB-150 seems a bit oversized judging by the Champ Lettering Plan Book. Thanks in advance,

Staffan Ehnbom

Tim O'Connor

Rich

Jerry needs very clear, straight-on photos or hi-res scans. Got any?

Tim

At 5/28/2010 06:46 PM Friday, you wrote:
Maybe Jerry Glow would be interested? He does some great looking accurate sets.
�
Rich Christie

Staffan, the Illinois Central (steam era) has really gotten the
short end of the stick decal-wise, even while Dan Kohlberg has
produced a boatload of beautiful IC/ICG decals for the post-STMFC
era. Even CDS, and Mark Vaughan, ignored the IC. I sent a copy of
a beautiful photo of IC 20223 (stenciled for automobile engine
hope they would produce a model of the IC "1940" AAR box cars but
no luck there either. I agree with you about the shortcomings of
Champ HB-150 but that's just about all there is...

Tim O'Connor

At 5/28/2010 03:40 PM Friday, you wrote:
Where can I find lettering for an HO 40' IC box car like the 18629 in the photo on p. 22 of the RP Cyc 4? The Champ set no. HB-150 seems a bit oversized judging by the Champ Lettering Plan Book. Thanks in advance,

Staffan Ehnbom

jerryglow2

I am! I wanted an IC car for myself anyway. Send me any (good) pics on info you have. OFF LIST of course.

Jerry Glow

--- In STMFC@..., Rich C <rhcdmc@...> wrote:

[...]

Staffan Ehnbom <staffan.ehnbom@...>

Thanks Fred, Rich and Tim. We have received a couple of threads to pursue.

Staffan Ehnbom

Maybe Jerry Glow would be interested? He does some great looking accurate sets.

Rich Christie

Staffan, the Illinois Central (steam era) has really gotten the
short end of the stick decal-wise, even while Dan Kohlberg has
produced a boatload of beautiful IC/ICG decals for the post-STMFC
era. Even CDS, and Mark Vaughan, ignored the IC. I sent a copy of
a beautiful photo of IC 20223 (stenciled for automobile engine
hope they would produce a model of the IC "1940" AAR box cars but
no luck there either. I agree with you about the shortcomings of
Champ HB-150 but that's just about all there is...

Tim O'Connor

At 5/28/2010 03:40 PM Friday, you wrote:
>Where can I find lettering for an HO 40' IC box car like the 18629 in the photo on p. 22 of the RP Cyc 4? The Champ set no. HB-150 seems a bit oversized judging by the Champ Lettering Plan Book. Thanks in advance,
>
>Staffan Ehnbom

jerryglow2

Coming soon - nearly complete:
http://home.comcast.net/~jerryglow/samples/IC.jpg

Jerry Glow

--- In STMFC@..., "frtcar" <staffan.ehnbom@...> wrote:

Where can I find lettering for an HO 40' IC box car like the 18629 in the photo on p. 22 of the RP Cyc 4? The Champ set no. HB-150 seems a bit oversized judging by the Champ Lettering Plan Book. Thanks in advance,

Staffan Ehnbom

Scott Pitzer

In many cases-- not sure if during this list's era-- the border around the routing or assignment instructions was a dashed line. I modeled this (once) using the separator stripe Champ sometimes used between a box car set's 40' and 50' data sections.
Scott Pitzer

jerryglow2

Yes I have seen that in one of the pictures I'm working from. Thanks for pointing it out.

Jerry Glow

--- In STMFC@..., "scottpitzer2002" <scottp459@...> wrote:

In many cases-- not sure if during this list's era-- the border around the routing or assignment instructions was a dashed line. I modeled this (once) using the separator stripe Champ sometimes used between a box car set's 40' and 50' data sections.
Scott Pitzer

pwkrueger <kruegerp@...>

Could this set be used for pre-"mainline" slogan cars also?

Thanks,
Paul
Seattle, WA

--- In STMFC@..., jerryglow@... wrote:

Coming soon - nearly complete:
http://home.comcast.net/~jerryglow/samples/IC.jpg

Jerry Glow

--- In STMFC@..., "frtcar" <staffan.ehnbom@> wrote:

Where can I find lettering for an HO 40' IC box car like the 18629 in the photo on p. 22 of the RP Cyc 4? The Champ set no. HB-150 seems a bit oversized judging by the Champ Lettering Plan Book. Thanks in advance,

Staffan Ehnbom

jerryglow2

If you look at the pics on the info sheet for MK10 mini-kit on Jim Hayes' excellent "unofficial" Sunshine site, you'll see one with and one without and a date (1949 IIRC) when they started using it.

Jerry Glow
http://home.comcast.net/~jerryglow/decals/

--- In STMFC@..., jerryglow@ wrote:

Coming soon - nearly complete:
http://home.comcast.net/~jerryglow/samples/IC.jpg

Jerry Glow

--- In STMFC@..., "frtcar" <staffan.ehnbom@> wrote:

Where can I find lettering for an HO 40' IC box car like the 18629 in the photo on p. 22 of the RP Cyc 4? The Champ set no. HB-150 seems a bit oversized judging by the Champ Lettering Plan Book. Thanks in advance,

Staffan Ehnbom

golden1014

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for doing this--you're going to be the new Champ. The set looks really great. Would it be possible/practical to add a small variety of different shop dates as well? I model 1950 and really hate having to piece together earlier shop dates.

Thanks for considering!

John

John Golden
Bloomington, IN

--- In STMFC@..., jerryglow@... wrote:

Coming soon - nearly complete:
http://home.comcast.net/~jerryglow/samples/IC.jpg

Jerry Glow

--- In STMFC@..., "frtcar" <staffan.ehnbom@> wrote:

Where can I find lettering for an HO 40' IC box car like the 18629 in the photo on p. 22 of the RP Cyc 4? The Champ set no. HB-150 seems a bit oversized judging by the Champ Lettering Plan Book. Thanks in advance,

Staffan Ehnbom

Ray Breyer

Could this set be used for
pre-"mainline" slogan cars also?
Thanks,
Paul
Seattle, WA

Hi Paul,

"Mostly". Jerry will have to reduce the size of the reporting marks to match the number's size, and add lines above and below. At that point the decal set will be good for the 1930s through the 1960s. (adding and/or deleting specific items as necessary).

Regards,
Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL

Gene <bierglaeser@...>

I second John's motion. I, too, model 1950.
Gene Green

--- In STMFC@..., jerryglow@ wrote:

Coming soon - nearly complete:
http://home.comcast.net/~jerryglow/samples/IC.jpg

Jerry Glow

--- In STMFC@..., "frtcar" <staffan.ehnbom@> wrote:

Where can I find lettering for an HO 40' IC box car like the 18629 in the photo on p. 22 of the RP Cyc 4? The Champ set no. HB-150 seems a bit oversized judging by the Champ Lettering Plan Book. Thanks in advance,

Staffan Ehnbom

Tim O'Connor

John, for modelers of the late 40's to very early 50's the Sunshine
reweigh stencil sets cover those dates nicely -- HOWEVER it appears
even Sunshine did not include the IC in any of the sets I have, E.51
through E.59! Sheesh what have people got against the IC? :-)

Now if it were only possible to find reweigh dates for 1955 to 1965!

Tim O'Connor

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Ray Breyer wrote:
"Mostly". Jerry will have to reduce the size of the reporting marks to match the number's size, and add lines above and below. At that point the decal set will be good for the 1930s through the 1960s. (adding and/or deleting specific items as necessary).
Ray makes a good point for railroads besides IC. Before WW II it was common to use 7-inch characters for both initials and car numbers, but after the war (I don't have the date handy) the AAR recommended 9-inch initials with the 7-inch numbers, and many roads complied. If someone can supply the date easily, that might be useful for all of us to know.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Brian Carlson

What's wrong with the Champ reweight sets? HD-50-53 and HD-60-67

Brian J. Carlson, P.E.

Cheektowaga NY

prrk41361@...

[...]

generic... I've used them because that's all I could find, but
besides the usual Champ issues, they are generic