From: Bob C <thecitrusbelt@...>
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Sat, May 29, 2010 2:16:22 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Armored Payroll Car?

The image on this link is described as an "Armored Payroll Car":

http://www.waymarking.com/gallery/default.aspx?f=1&guid=be82959e-972a-40db-b48d-6f5c64ab61d1&gid=2

Were there such cars?

Bob Chaparro
Hemet, Ca

Frank Greene

Bob C wrote:
The image on this link is described as an "Armored Payroll Car":

http://www.waymarking.com/gallery/default.aspx?f=1&guid=be82959e-972a-40db-b48d-6f5c64ab61d1&gid=2

Were there such cars?

Bob Chaparro
Hemet, Ca

The "ghost" lettering says:

T. C. I. & R. R. CO.
TCIX
MX91

Any trace of paint or letter color is gone and it sits in the middle of a vacant lot near an abandoned TCI&RR/BS branch. It's steel and it was a pay car, but armored? The side and end sheets look like typical steel sheets; thick enough to stop small bullets, but nothing heavy.

--

Frank Greene
Memphis, TN

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Frank Greene wrote:
It's steel and it was a pay car, but armored? The side and end sheets look like typical steel sheets; thick enough to stop small bullets, but nothing heavy.
Typical box car sheathing wouldn't stop much more than a .22 bullet.

Publishers of books on railroad history

tbarney2004

Frederick Freitas wrote:
Bob,

I would doubt the title of the print. Now, if it said milk car, no problem.

Fred Freitas

I noticed the car has small man-size end doors (at least at the one end) and what appear to be small square ports to either side of the side door (gun ports perhaps?) on one of the closer pictures. Could be a modification of some kind at some point, but who knows without knowing the original history of the particular car.

Tim Barney