40 ft gons


Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>
 

Tim O'Connor wrote:
A new reverse-dreadnaught end for the Red Caboose GS gondola would be of great interest to this SP modeler! (Most of the sugar beet gons had these ends.)
How about the War Emergency 41 ft gondolas (only available as resin kits from F&C)?
Good point about the ends. I've managed to fit a Detail Associates Improved Dreadnaught end onto the F&C War Emergency gon to model T&NO's Class G-50-21 cars, but additional end styles could be very useful.

Tony Thompson Editor, Signature Press, Berkeley, CA
2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705 www.signaturepress.com
(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, thompson@...
Publishers of books on railroad history


 

I wrote Stan Rydarowicz and sent him photos of gonodla ends, no word. I agree with your choice, but I also think we need Pullman ends, Pressed Steel and flipped Dreadnaughts.

 
Rich Christie

--- On Sun, 5/30/10, Anthony Thompson <thompson@...> wrote:


From: Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>
Subject: [STMFC] Re: 40 ft gons
To: STMFC@...
Date: Sunday, May 30, 2010, 1:22 PM


 



Tim O'Connor wrote:
A new reverse-dreadnaught end for the Red Caboose GS gondola would
be of great interest to this SP modeler! (Most of the sugar beet
gons had these ends.)
How about the War Emergency 41 ft gondolas (only available as resin
kits from F&C)?
Good point about the ends. I've managed to fit a Detail
Associates Improved Dreadnaught end onto the F&C War Emergency gon to
model T&NO's Class G-50-21 cars, but additional end styles could be
very useful.

Tony Thompson Editor, Signature Press, Berkeley, CA
2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705 www.signaturepress.com
(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, thompson@...
Publishers of books on railroad history











[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]


Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>
 

Rich Christie wrote:
I wrote Stan Rydarowicz and sent him photos of gonodla ends, no word. I agree with your choice, but I also think we need Pullman ends, Pressed Steel and flipped Dreadnaughts.
By "flipped" do you mean reverse Dreadnaught or recessed Dreadnaught? We need the former much more than the latter for gondolas.

Tony Thompson Editor, Signature Press, Berkeley, CA
2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705 www.signaturepress.com
(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, thompson@...
Publishers of books on railroad history


 

Tony, Reversed, "flipped" is modelers jargon that I have seen in gondola articles.
 
Rich Christie

--- On Sun, 5/30/10, Anthony Thompson <thompson@...> wrote:


From: Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: 40 ft gons
To: STMFC@...
Date: Sunday, May 30, 2010, 4:02 PM


 



Rich Christie wrote:
I wrote Stan Rydarowicz and sent him photos of gonodla ends, no
word. I agree with your choice, but I also think we need Pullman
ends, Pressed Steel and flipped Dreadnaughts.
By "flipped" do you mean reverse Dreadnaught or recessed
Dreadnaught? We need the former much more than the latter for gondolas.

Tony Thompson Editor, Signature Press, Berkeley, CA
2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705 www.signaturepress.com
(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, thompson@...
Publishers of books on railroad history











[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]


Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>
 

Rich Christie wrote:
Tony, Reversed, "flipped" is modelers jargon that I have seen in gondola articles.
I wasn't in much doubt about which arrangement, but we already have a word for this, "reverse," so I don't see the need for another--
and flipped could mean a couple of things. There are lots of terminologies one can find in modeling articles, some of which should never have seen the light of day.

Tony Thompson Editor, Signature Press, Berkeley, CA
2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705 www.signaturepress.com
(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, thompson@...
Publishers of books on railroad history


 

Tony, I couldn't agree more, like the friction bearing/Bettendorf issues.
 
Rich Christie

--- On Sun, 5/30/10, Anthony Thompson <thompson@...> wrote:


From: Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: 40 ft gons
To: STMFC@...
Date: Sunday, May 30, 2010, 5:37 PM


 



Rich Christie wrote:
Tony, Reversed, "flipped" is modelers jargon that I have seen in
gondola articles.
I wasn't in much doubt about which arrangement, but we already
have a word for this, "reverse," so I don't see the need for another--
and flipped could mean a couple of things. There are lots of
terminologies one can find in modeling articles, some of which should
never have seen the light of day.

Tony Thompson Editor, Signature Press, Berkeley, CA
2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705 www.signaturepress.com
(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, thompson@...
Publishers of books on railroad history