decal finishing help

Brian Carlson

I've not been happy with my last few decaling projects with Testor's
Glosscote. Lots of work with setting solutions and creative weathering have
helped make them better but I am looking for other decal finishing options.
I've used Glosscote for years originally from spray cans so any thoughts are
appreciated. I've heard about Future from others anything special I should
know. Spray right from bottle or dilute?

Brian J. Carlson, P.E.
Cheektowaga NY
prrk41361@...

Jack Burgess <jack@...>

Yes, Future works GREAT! Use it straight from the bottle and spray light
coats to let it build up slowly. You don't need to apply it to an entire
side of the car if you don't need to...just areas where decals will be
applied. For example, for ends, I generally air brush only the top right
corner. Hold the car up to a light and on an angle as you air brush it to
watch the coverage and build up. I usually let it dry for 24 hour before
decaling the car. As soon as I finish air brushing the Future, I'll run
clean water through the air brush followed by some lacquer thinner just to
make sure all of the water is out of the air brush. After decaling, an
application of Dullcoat will get it back to a flat finish.

If the Future turns yellow in the bottle, it is time to throw it out.

For things like flat cars with wood (real wood) side sills and wood
crossbucks, I'll brush on an application. No problem.

If you would even more confirmation, there is a complete article (which they
do every couple of years) in the current issue of Finescale Modeler.

Future is sold in other countries under different brand names and for more
information:

http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html

Jack Burgess
www.yosemitevalleyrr.com

Kurt Laughlin <fleeta@...>

An equally effective alternative to lacquer thinner but less stinky and more benign to humans and airbrush seals is Windex or another ammonia containing glass cleaner. (It will work for any acrylic paint.) I have two cleaner bottles at my painting station; one with Windex and one with tap water. Alternating the two a couple of times through the brush and color cup cleans it all out.

You ought to try one of the acrylic flat clears, such as PollyScale's or Tamiya's. You mentioned throwing away the Future if it ages and gets yellow, yet we use Dullcoat that's already yellow/brown on the hobby shop shelf !!

KL

From: "WILLIAM PARDIE" <PARDIEW001@...>

I first heard about "Future" from Jack Burgess in Naperville last
year. I put it on a back burner at that time.
After the recent flurry on the topic I charged out this morning to
find some. The only product that I could find on
the shelves was Glade with Future. Is this the same product and is
the original Future still being produced?

Kurt Laughlin <fleeta@...>

I should've looked a little deeper:

Where is Future Floor Wax

"I'm trying to find Future� Floor Wax. Is it still available? - John from L.A."

Glad to hear from you, John! The Future� Floor Polish product was renamed under the Pledge� brand in November of 2007. It is now Pledge� Premium Finish with Future� Shine. Don't worry - it is still the same great Future� formula, just a new name and still provides that durable, long lasting shine. You should be able to find it in your local grocery or home needs stores but if you still have trouble, please call our Consumer Relationship Center at 1-800-558-5252 for more details.

http://www.scjohnson.com/en/products/asked-and-answered/ask-question-comment.aspx?title=Where-is-Future-Floor-Wax

Jim Hayes

It's now Pledge with Future. It replaces old Future and is the same with a
new label. Glade is that stinky stuff that's supposed to make the house
smell nice.
I haven't found Pledge with Future in several of my local supermarkets. In
fact they carry little in the way of floor care products. People just don't
seem to polish their floors anymore.

Jim Hayes
Portland Oregon
www.sunshinekits.com

Jim wrote:
<In fact they carry little in the way of floor care products. People just
<don't seem to polish their floors anymore.

That was my conclusion too....a sign of the times....

Jack Burgess

Frederick Freitas <prrinvt@...>

guyz,

        Way back in the 50's I got the bright idea to try glass wax to put a sheen on a car.
Good thing I only did one car; you can guess why.  Did any of you ever try this one?
Today, I'm sticking to my favorite paints and fiishes.

Fred Freitas

________________________________

I've not been happy with my last few decaling projects with Testor's
Glosscote. Lots of work with setting solutions and creative
weathering have
helped make them better but I am looking for other decal finishing
options.
I've used Glosscote for years originally from spray cans so any
thoughts are
appreciated. I've heard about Future from others anything special I
should
know. Spray right from bottle or dilute?

Brian J. Carlson, P.E.
Cheektowaga NY
prrk41361@...

rashputin1 <rashputin@...>

If you can't find Future locally, try Ace Hardware. They carry it and if it's not in the store will order it for you. You can also order it online yourself from Ace.

Regards
R Hume

StephenK

The real answer to a good base finish is to use glossy paint in the first place. I use Scalecoat and Scalecoat II (for plastic) sprayed right from the bottle. It covers well and dries glossy. Dry time is a little long but the finish is worth it.

Steve Kay

--- In STMFC@..., "Brian J Carlson" <prrk41361@...> wrote:

I've not been happy with my last few decaling projects with Testor's
Glosscote. Lots of work with setting solutions and creative weathering have
helped make them better but I am looking for other decal finishing options.
I've used Glosscote for years originally from spray cans so any thoughts are
appreciated. I've heard about Future from others anything special I should
know. Spray right from bottle or dilute?

Brian J. Carlson, P.E.
Cheektowaga NY
prrk41361@...

Tim O'Connor

Pierre

That is the main reason that I love Dullcote!! :-)

Tim O'Connor