BLI NYC all-steel box cars

Gene <bierglaeser@...>

Broadway Limited has announced NYC steel boxcars. Would anyone care to comment on their accuracy judging from the available advertising material?

It appears these cars are intended to represent the NYC's 102500-106999, 107000-111999 and 121000-121999 number series as well as possibly other series. Will these be correct or close for these series? What about other series?

The paint schemes are identified as pre- and post-1955. Are the "pre-1955" correct for 1950 and earlier?

Here is a link:
http://www.broadway-limited.com/nycsteelboxcars.aspx

Gene Green

Brian Carlson

Gene these were discussed extensively on the list less than one month ago.
search the archives for "NYC Spec 486 boxcars." (Also look for spec 468
since I see many of the subject lines of the emails I saved had the 8 and 6
transposed)

Brian J. Carlson, P.E.

Cheektowaga NY

prrk41361@yahoo.com

Tim O'Connor

As Brian said you can find the discussion from last month... I'll just
say that my experience with BLI models is that they are good quality.
I have a GACX express reefer and some H2a hoppers. The reefer is very
well done. The question I have: are there decals/dry transfers out there
to letter these cars correctly for NYC?

Tim O'Connor

Broadway Limited has announced NYC steel boxcars. Would anyone care to comment on their accuracy judging from the available advertising material?

It appears these cars are intended to represent the NYC's 102500-106999, 107000-111999 and 121000-121999 number series as well as possibly other series. Will these be correct or close for these series? What about other series?

The paint schemes are identified as pre- and post-1955. Are the "pre-1955" correct for 1950 and earlier?

Here is a link:
http://www.broadway-limited.com/nycsteelboxcars.aspx

Gene Green

pullmanboss <tcmadden@...>

Tim O'Connor asked:

The question I have: are there decals/dry transfers out there
to letter these cars correctly for NYC?
See: http://www.speedwitch.com/Decals/d107.htm

Tom Madden

Tim O'Connor

Thanks Tom, but I should have been more specific -- I meant
decals for the mid to late 1950's. After a search through my
catalogs and decals I've found nothing appropriate to model
this car or cars like it:

http://www.broadway-limited.com/images/NYC%20105065%20%28resized%20for%20web%29.jpg

CDS and Mark Vaughan did sets for this style of repaint but
only for postwar AAR (CDS) and prewar AAR (MV) -- so the data
are in the correct style but are not for the much smaller
spec 486 cars. And of course Ted is not interested in the
later 50's (although he did a nice set for SP repaints).

So it's factory paint for me! (Not my preference.)

Tim O'Connor

At 6/8/2010 01:08 AM Tuesday, you wrote:
Tim O'Connor asked:

The question I have: are there decals/dry transfers out there
to letter these cars correctly for NYC?
See: http://www.speedwitch.com/Decals/d107.htm

Tom Madden

barryb2again <Barrybennetttoo@...>

Having reviewed tha earlier posts and then read the BLI blurb I note that BLI have said that they will not be producing models with repair patches.

Taking Richard Hendrickson's manuscript comments that the cars suffered the same body rot problems as the X29 cars and that all of them received patch panel repairs then the BLI cars are not much use as produced for anyone that models the 1950's.

So it looks like buy undecs, add patch panels and then paint and decal. Or maybe I will just build my store of Westerfield kits instead.

Barry Bennett

gn3397 <heninger@...>

Tim (and Group),
An alternative would be to supply Mr. Glow with a nice broadside photo or twelve, and ask him if he would be interested in generating the artwork. A set that includes the later 50s style of NYC lettering would be useful to many modelers, especially as a larger portion of the hobby moves to a post STMFC era for their modeling.

Sincerely,
Bob Heninger
Iowa City, IA

Thanks Tom, but I should have been more specific -- I meant
decals for the mid to late 1950's. After a search through my
catalogs and decals I've found nothing appropriate to model
this car or cars like it:

http://www.broadway-limited.com/images/NYC%20105065%20%28resized%20for%20web%29.jpg

CDS and Mark Vaughan did sets for this style of repaint but
only for postwar AAR (CDS) and prewar AAR (MV) -- so the data
are in the correct style but are not for the much smaller
spec 486 cars. And of course Ted is not interested in the
later 50's (although he did a nice set for SP repaints).

So it's factory paint for me! (Not my preference.)

Tim O'Connor

pennsylvania1954

Hi Barry--I had to go back and read Richard Hendrickson's piece again. I found that he didn't write "all", which, like "never," is a dangerous word to use in prototype modeling! I have taken the liberty of quoting from his piece here:

"By the 1940s it was becoming necessary to apply patches to the lower sections of the side sheathing on some cars, and these patch panels became increasingly common until, in the late 1950s, most cars had them."

My plan is some with and some without patch panels for my 1953 date.

Steve Hoxie
Pensacola FL

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "barryb2again" <Barrybennetttoo@...> wrote:

Having reviewed tha earlier posts and then read the BLI blurb I note that BLI have said that they will not be producing models with repair patches.

Taking Richard Hendrickson's manuscript comments that the cars suffered the same body rot problems as the X29 cars and that all of them received patch panel repairs then the BLI cars are not much use as produced for anyone that models the 1950's.

So it looks like buy undecs, add patch panels and then paint and decal. Or maybe I will just build my store of Westerfield kits instead.

Barry Bennett

Gene <bierglaeser@...>

Thanks, Brian. Apparently my memory isn't what it once was. I wonder why I just found out about these cars yesterday and the rest of you discussed them a month ago. I shall search as you suggested.
Gene Green

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Brian J Carlson" <prrk41361@...> wrote:

Gene these were discussed extensively on the list less than one month ago.
search the archives for "NYC Spec 486 boxcars." (Also look for spec 468
since I see many of the subject lines of the emails I saved had the 8 and 6
transposed)

Brian J. Carlson, P.E.

Cheektowaga NY

prrk41361@...

Barrybennetttoo@...

Yes, I know that is the work I have to do.

My patch panel plans are to use thick (ie Champ or left over Walthers)
decal sheet, which should produce enough of an edge to the panels without the
add-on crudity of thin plastic sheet, which isn't thin enough at any grade I
can get.

I suppose another alternative would be thin plastic sticky tape, but my gut
feeling is that the decal film will be infinitely easier.

Cheers

Barry Bennett

prrk41361@yahoo.com writes:

Barry: As discussed recently on the list you'll have to reroof your
westerfield cars and add patch panels for your era. Additing Patch panels to
painted cars is not that difficult. I've done it to the RC X29's before the
newest runs.
brian carlson

--- On Tue, 6/8/10, barryb2again <_Barrybennetttoo@aol.com_

From: barryb2again <_Barrybennetttoo@aol.com_
(mailto:Barrybennetttoo@aol.com) >
Subject: [STMFC] Re: BLI NYC all-steel box cars
To: _STMFC@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:STMFC@yahoogroups.com)
Date: Tuesday, June 8, 2010, 12:02 PM

I read, and filed, Richard's piece before I mailed and ...

" By the 1940s it was becoming necessary to apply patches to the lower
sections of the side sheathing on some cars, and these patch panels
became increasingly common until, in the late 1950s, most cars had
them."

As I model 1957 then 'most cars had them' applies.

It seems to me a little odd to offer late 50's paint schemes on pristine
un-patched bodies. Because of the extra work I'll pass on them and build
up my Westerfields instead.

Barry Bennett

--- In _STMFC@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:STMFC@yahoogroups.com) , "Steve
Hoxie" <stevehprr@...> wrote:

[...]

The Archer idea could be a good one for a pre-decorated car, saves matching
car lettering.

Barry Bennett

prrk41361@yahoo.com writes:

Champ Decal film does work as does, Bare metal foil, (never tried that on a
painted car), also I plan to try an Archer fine weld bead to see if it
will suggest a patch panel.

Brian Carlson
--- On Tue, 6/8/10, _Barrybennetttoo@aol.com_

From: _Barrybennetttoo@aol.com_ (mailto:Barrybennetttoo@aol.com)
<_Barrybennetttoo@aol.com_ (mailto:Barrybennetttoo@aol.com) >
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: BLI NYC all-steel box cars
To: _STMFC@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:STMFC@yahoogroups.com)
Date: Tuesday, June 8, 2010, 2:35 PM

(mailto:_Barrybennetttoo@aol.com_ (mailto:Barrybennetttoo@aol.com) ) >

From: barryb2again <__Barrybennetttoo@aol.com_
To: __STMFC@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:_STMFC@yahoogroups.com) _
(mailto:_STMFC@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:STMFC@yahoogroups.com) )
Date: Tuesday, June 8, 2010, 12:02 PM

(mailto:_STMFC@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:STMFC@yahoogroups.com) ) , "Steve
Hoxie" <stevehprr@...> wrote:

[...]

There's a good idea.

Cheers

Barry Bennett

In a message dated 08/06/2010 18:59:40 GMT Standard Time, atsf@izap.com
writes:

On 6/8/2010 11:35 AM, _Barrybennetttoo@aol.com_
(mailto:Barrybennetttoo@aol.com) wrote:
Yes, I know that is the work I have to do.

My patch panel plans are to use thick (ie Champ or left over Walthers)
decal sheet, which should produce enough of an edge to the panels
without the
add-on crudity of thin plastic sheet, which isn't thin enough at any
grade I
can get.
Adding that coating for old decal paper, with one or more
applications, might be a way to thicken up the decal sheet! :-)

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941

Barrybennetttoo@...

I've got one of them to do as well, in fact I have about 40 or so resin
kits to build.

Barry Bennett

stevelucas3@yahoo.ca writes:

I can vouch for the use of Bare-Metal foil. I used it to represent patch
plates on a Westerfield Canada Southern car. Even under a layer of Scalecoat,
the thickness of the foil is obvious as a "welded" patch".

Steve Lucas.

--- In _STMFC@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:STMFC@yahoogroups.com) , Brian

From: barryb2again <_Barrybennetttoo@..._
(mailto:Barrybennetttoo@...) >
To: __STMFC@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:_STMFC@yahoogroups.com) _
(mailto:_STMFC@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:STMFC@yahoogroups.com) )
Date: Tuesday, June 8, 2010, 12:02 PM

Hoxie" <stevehprr@> wrote:

Hi Barry--I had to go back and read Richard Hendrickson's piece again.
I found that he didn't write "all", which, like "never," is a dangerous
word to use in prototype modeling! I have taken the liberty of quoting
from his piece here:

"By the 1940s it was becoming necessary to apply patches to the lower
sections of the side sheathing on some cars, and these patch panels
became increasingly common until, in the late 1950s, most cars had
them."

My plan is some with and some without patch panels for my 1953 date.

Steve Hoxie
Pensacola FL
> --- In __STMFC@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:_STMFC@yahoogroups.com) _
(mailto:_STMFC@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:STMFC@yahoogroups.com) ) ,
"barryb2again" Barrybennetttoo@ wrote:

Having reviewed tha earlier posts and then read the BLI blurb I note
that BLI have said that they will not be producing models with repair
patches.

Taking Richard Hendrickson's manuscript comments that the cars
suffered the same body rot problems as the X29 cars and that all of them
received patch panel repairs then the BLI cars are not much use as
produced for anyone that models the 1950's.

So it looks like buy undecs, add patch panels and then paint and
decal. Or maybe I will just build my store of Westerfield kits instead.

Barry Bennett

Ray Breyer

Steve Hoxie wrote:
I had to go back and read
Richard Hendrickson's piece again.  I found that he
didn't write "all", which, like "never," is a dangerous word
to use in prototype modeling! I have taken the liberty of
quoting from his piece here:
"By the 1940s it was becoming necessary to apply patches to
the lower sections of the side sheathing on some cars, and
these patch panels became increasingly common until, in the
late 1950s, most cars had them."
My plan is some with and some without patch panels for my
1953 date.
Hi Steve,

I just checked my NYCS digitized database. Of the 25 postwar photos I have of these cars, only three show up without patch panels. All are in older schemes, including one (107127) in 1947 with a black herald background. The latest repack date on any of the cars is 2-54 (car 107054). Moving the date back to 1940 gives me six additional photos, two of which don't show patch panels.

So based on this unscientific study, I'd only go with about 1/8 of your NYC cars without patches!

Regards,
Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Hoxie" <stevehprr@...> wrote:

[...]

Bob

Yes, but I am reluctant to impose too much on Mr. Glow. He
is a hobbyist like most of us and the decals are not so much
a business as a small sideline that distracts him from his
own modeling. :-) I don't have the software or knowledge to
do my own artwork for decals -- and if I did, I'd probably
get bogged down in it too, since there's an infinite supply
of ideas in that direction. NYC in general is highly neglected
for late 50's to the late 60's when it comes to decals.

Tim O'Connor

[...]

jerryglow2

The first offer of a free undec car might induce me to do the set. <g>. I already have 2 or 3 Westerfield models and IIRC the decals were fine. I think I had to add a Champ road name to do my Peorida Eastern one but think Al has that one now. BUT act quickly as he is closing down next year.

Jerry Glow

From: barryb2again <_Barrybennetttoo@aol.com_
(mailto:Barrybennetttoo@aol.com) >
To: _STMFC@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:STMFC@yahoogroups.com)