Liquid chloride Tankcar help

Charles Hladik

Chris,
Can't help with the drawings, but Dad worked there for over 20 years.
You might want to check the Fairport, Painesville and Eastern site,
_www.rsworld.com~nix66/fpemain.html_
(http://www.rsworld.com~nix66/fpemain.html) +it has a lot of info on the Diamond.
Chuck Hladik
Rutland Railroad
Virginia Division

In a message dated 6/8/2010 4:51:35 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
CSchmuck@... writes:

Hello,
I am looking for information to model this tiny tankcar:
_http://picasaweb.google.com/ErieChris333/ProtoPhotos#5480125587635072754_
(http://picasaweb.google.com/ErieChris333/ProtoPhotos#5480125587635072754)
I got DIAMOND ALKALI COMPANY Painesville, OH D.A.X.
The tank dia. looks small, I guess it to be around 63" from the photo.

Can you guys help, drawings would be a big plus!

Thanks
Chris

schmuck804_99 <CSchmuck@...>

Hello,
I am looking for information to model this tiny tankcar:
http://picasaweb.google.com/ErieChris333/ProtoPhotos#5480125587635072754
I got DIAMOND ALKALI COMPANY Painesville, OH D.A.X.
The tank dia. looks small, I guess it to be around 63" from the photo.

Can you guys help, drawings would be a big plus!

Thanks
Chris

Garth G. Groff <ggg9y@...>

Chris and friends,

Can't help with the tank car (neat, though!), but note the NP boxcar to the right. Can't have a freight train without an NP box in the first ten cars.

Kind regards,

Garth Groff

schmuck804_99 wrote:

Hello,
I am looking for information to model this tiny tankcar:
http://picasaweb.google.com/ErieChris333/ProtoPhotos#5480125587635072754
I got DIAMOND ALKALI COMPANY Painesville, OH D.A.X.
The tank dia. looks small, I guess it to be around 63" from the photo.

Can you guys help, drawings would be a big plus!

Thanks
Chris

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Had you already passed on the Trix car? It is about 6k, like that one, and
is also an insulated car with valve casing instead of dome. Admittedly, some
work to bring up to standard.

Elden Gatwood

schmuck804_99 wrote:
Hello,
I am looking for information to model this tiny tankcar:
http://picasaweb.google.com/ErieChris333/ProtoPhotos#54801255876350727
54 I got DIAMOND ALKALI COMPANY Painesville, OH D.A.X.
The tank dia. looks small, I guess it to be around 63" from the photo.

Can you guys help, drawings would be a big plus!

Thanks
Chris

al_brown03

Well, the car has a pressure bonnet not a dome. The 1/53 ORER shows 81 tank cars, AAR type TPI, ICC classes 105A300 (66 cars) and 105A300W (15 cars), 30 and 40 tons, in eleven groups between DAX 200-299. All but four cars are said to be marked "Chlorine Gas Tank Car". I could convince myself this car's number is 212, one of three 40-ton cars in series 211-213. The capacity looks to be maybe 5000 gallons, which IIRC is a typical size for a steam-era chlorine tank; the tank mounts differ from those on the other tank car shown, and suggest to me this car may have been built by General American or Standard Tank. (See pictures in Ted Culotta's tank car book.)

-- hth --

-- Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

schmuck804_99 wrote:
Hello,
I am looking for information to model this tiny tankcar:
http://picasaweb.google.com/ErieChris333/ProtoPhotos#5480125587635072754
I got DIAMOND ALKALI COMPANY Painesville, OH D.A.X.
The tank dia. looks small, I guess it to be around 63" from the photo.

Can you guys help, drawings would be a big plus!

Thanks
Chris

schmuck804_99 <CSchmuck@...>

Al,
Thank you. This info "sounds right" to me from my guess.

So this tank would be similar to the SHPX 4000gal car in the June 94 MR, but longer and a different dome?

Thanks for your help!
Chris

schmuck804_99 wrote:
Hello,
I am looking for information to model this tiny tankcar:
http://picasaweb.google.com/ErieChris333/ProtoPhotos#5480125587635072754
I got DIAMOND ALKALI COMPANY Painesville, OH D.A.X.
The tank dia. looks small, I guess it to be around 63" from the photo.

Can you guys help, drawings would be a big plus!

Thanks
Chris

schmuck804_99 <CSchmuck@...>

Chuck,

Thank you for the link. I live right where the Fairport branch of the B&O started. I used to be the Painesville & Youngstown RR and at one time was 3' gauge.

Chris

CSchmuck@... writes:

Hello,
I am looking for information to model this tiny tankcar:
_http://picasaweb.google.com/ErieChris333/ProtoPhotos#5480125587635072754_
(http://picasaweb.google.com/ErieChris333/ProtoPhotos#5480125587635072754)
I got DIAMOND ALKALI COMPANY Painesville, OH D.A.X.
The tank dia. looks small, I guess it to be around 63" from the photo.

Can you guys help, drawings would be a big plus!

Thanks
Chris

schmuck804_99 <CSchmuck@...>

Eldon,
I model in N scale this car will be a kitbash with a new tank for me...

Chris

schmuck804_99 wrote:
Hello,
I am looking for information to model this tiny tankcar:
http://picasaweb.google.com/ErieChris333/ProtoPhotos#54801255876350727
54 I got DIAMOND ALKALI COMPANY Painesville, OH D.A.X.
The tank dia. looks small, I guess it to be around 63" from the photo.

Can you guys help, drawings would be a big plus!

Thanks
Chris

Bryan Busséy

Chris,

If an HO model already exists at a reasonable cost, that along with
prototype photos might be a viable alternative to scale drawings since
you are scratchbuilding the N scale tank in any event.

bb

--- In STMFC@... <mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com>,

schmuck804_99 wrote:
Hello,
I am looking for information to model this tiny tankcar:
http://picasaweb.google.com/ErieChris333/ProtoPhotos#54801255876350727
54 I got DIAMOND ALKALI COMPANY Painesville, OH D.A.X.
The tank dia. looks small, I guess it to be around 63" from the photo.

Can you guys help, drawings would be a big plus!

Thanks
Chris

al_brown03

They're both small tank cars, so the dimensions are somewhat similar; in addition to the differences you mention and the tank mounts, the DAX car is pressurized and insulated so the tank has a jacket. In Kaminski's tank car book, p 227, are general arrangement drawings (with dimensions) of AC&F insulated Type 27 cars from 2600 to 10,000 gallons.

The HO scale Trix model mentioned in this thread is of a 6,000-gallon insulated car; Richard Hendrickson discusses prototypes in Railmodel Journal 9/04, pp 49-53. The cars shown were all built by AC&F, and all the pictures but one show 6,000-gallon cars, which to me look fatter than the DAX car. The exception is SPX 8010, a 4,000-gallon car, so I suspect that's what DAX 212(?) may be.

-- hth --

-- Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

schmuck804_99 wrote:
Hello,
I am looking for information to model this tiny tankcar:
http://picasaweb.google.com/ErieChris333/ProtoPhotos#5480125587635072754
I got DIAMOND ALKALI COMPANY Painesville, OH D.A.X.
The tank dia. looks small, I guess it to be around 63" from the photo.

Can you guys help, drawings would be a big plus!

Thanks
Chris

Tim O'Connor

Note: In the Diamond Alkali equipment listing of the January 1953 ORER,
it states that ICC regulations prohibited the loading of any tank car with
more than 60,000 lbs of chlorine. Since chlorine weighs over 12 lbs/gallon
any size in excess of 5,000 gallons was unnecessary. Nevertheless the
equipment register shows various cars with 80,000 lbs as well as 60,000 lbs
capacity for chlorine. Several tank cars are specially noted as having
30,000 lbs capacity (Note A).

Tank cars could be smaller -- I have a photo of a 3,000 gallon car built
for tetraethyl lead (which weighs over 14 lbs/gallon).

Tim O'Connor

They're both small tank cars, so the dimensions are somewhat similar; in addition to the differences you mention and the tank mounts, the DAX car is pressurized and insulated so the tank has a jacket. In Kaminski's tank car book, p 227, are general arrangement drawings (with dimensions) of AC&F insulated Type 27 cars from 2600 to 10,000 gallons.

The HO scale Trix model mentioned in this thread is of a 6,000-gallon insulated car; Richard Hendrickson discusses prototypes in Railmodel Journal 9/04, pp 49-53. The cars shown were all built by AC&F, and all the pictures but one show 6,000-gallon cars, which to me look fatter than the DAX car. The exception is SPX 8010, a 4,000-gallon car, so I suspect that's what DAX 212(?) may be.

-- Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

Richard Hendrickson

On Jun 8, 2010, at 1:47 AM, schmuck804_99 wrote:

Hello,
I am looking for information to model this tiny tankcar:
http://picasaweb.google.com/ErieChris333/
ProtoPhotos#5480125587635072754
I got DIAMOND ALKALI COMPANY Painesville, OH D.A.X.
The tank dia. looks small, I guess it to be around 63" from the photo.

Can you guys help, drawings would be a big plus!
That's a GATC Type ICC-105 high pressure 4,000 gal. high pressure
chlorine car of 30 tons nominal capacity. AFAIK there are no
drawings available for a GATC car. However, Diamond also owned AC&F
cars which were essentially identical except for their underframes,
so the AC&F general arrangement drawings in Kaminski's book, in '40s
editions of the Car Builders' Cyclopedias, and in Train Shed
Cyclopedia #12
will give you the dimensions you need. I will send you off-list a
couple of scans that will help.

Richard Hendrickson

Charles Hladik

Years ago I got a Champ set for Diamond Alkali. It even included
"Painesville, Ohio. I do not recall the set number.
Chuck Hladik

In a message dated 6/13/2010 11:15:28 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
1payne1@... writes:

What year were these cars built? And, are there any decals available for
Diamond Alkali (DAX)?

Dean Payne

--- In _STMFC@... (mailto:STMFC@...) ,

On Jun 13, 2010, at 8:14 AM, Dean wrote:

What year were these cars built? And, are there any decals
available for Diamond Alkali (DAX)?
Several photos I have show built dates from 1929 through the early
1930s. No decals, AFAIK.

Richard Hendrickson

Tim O'Connor

Diamond Alkali also owned chlorine cannister flat cars like
the model imported by Metro (and claimed to be available from
Train Cat as well although the web site photos appear to be
the Metro model). I've checked my lists and I can't find any
decals ever made for Diamond Alkali. There is a Soph Marty shot
of GATX 32991 for caustic soda, taken in 1956 -- black with
a red & white herald. The car is similar to the Overland 3270,
and Richard and I discussed the decal problem for this car back
in 2003.

Decals (lack of) for tank cars is a real problem!

Tim O'Connor

What year were these cars built? And, are there any decals
available for Diamond Alkali (DAX)?
Several photos I have show built dates from 1929 through the early
1930s. No decals, AFAIK.

Richard Hendrickson

David Sieber

Dean,
I've never seen any decals for the older DAX car in that photo. However, RMC May 1958 had a 2-page "Craftsman Lettering Guide" for Diamond Chemicals' then-new lettering scheme featuring their new herald of a red diamond in a stylized looping black "d" on (apparently) white GATX tanks for liquid chlorine and caustic soda. There were four photos and a lettering diagram, plus a sidebar offering:
"Free HO decals for these cars! Diamond Alkali Company offers a complete set of HO Diamond tank car decals to RMC readers FREE of charge. They can be attached to any HO chemical type tank car of the type shown in the photos. These decals have been especially prepared by Wm. K. Walthers from authentic data supplied by the firm. For your decals, write legibly to: Tank Car Decals, Advertising and Public Relations Dept., Diamond Alkali Company, Cleveland 14, Ohio"
By the time I began actively modeling in the mid-60s, Diamond Alkali's PR Dept. had exhausted their stock of decals and I couldn't find them from Walthers. While this doesn't help you for decals of either lettering scheme, it reemphasizes the lack of tank car decals for the steam and early diesel eras.
Even if/when you find an old tank car decal, it's tough to find documentation to use it correctly. What color shades approximate (much less match) Celanese light green and cream (Champ HT-222) or Victor Chemical Works yellow (Champ HT-221), assuming that you match the "medium green" dome and tank center band to the green of the Victor Chemicals decal. I've found great b&w photos for Victor phosphorus tank cars, but none in color. I keep hearing rumors of a "Color Guide to Tank Cars," possibly multiple volumes, but I'm still waiting and hoping ...
Dave Sieber, Reno NV

--- In STMFC@..., "Dean" <1payne1@...> wrote:

What year were these cars built? And, are there any decals available for Diamond Alkali (DAX)?

Dean Payne

Bryan Busséy

The TrainCat website outdated pic might be of the Metro brass import,
but the N scale kit has been available for at least a couple of years
and renders a nice model. The lack of decals are an issue though.

bb

On 6/14/2010 5:03 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:

Diamond Alkali also owned chlorine cannister flat cars like
the model imported by Metro (and claimed to be available from
Train Cat as well although the web site photos appear to be
the Metro model). I've checked my lists and I can't find any
decals ever made for Diamond Alkali. There is a Soph Marty shot
of GATX 32991 for caustic soda, taken in 1956 -- black with
a red & white herald. The car is similar to the Overland 3270,
and Richard and I discussed the decal problem for this car back
in 2003.

Decals (lack of) for tank cars is a real problem!

Tim O'Connor

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Tim;

I also have the HO brass model imported by MTS, and no, I have also never
been able to find any source for decals, although someone I know got a
pre-lettered version of the car. It is a more important prototype than most
believe, as water treatment plants were all over the place, and they used the
canisters to transport chlorine around their facilities, as an alternative to
having a large holding tank on-site. I think GenAm and AC&F both made the
106 cars.

Elden Gatwood

Diamond Alkali also owned chlorine cannister flat cars like the model
imported by Metro (and claimed to be available from Train Cat as well
although the web site photos appear to be the Metro model). I've checked my
lists and I can't find any decals ever made for Diamond Alkali. There is a
Soph Marty shot of GATX 32991 for caustic soda, taken in 1956 -- black with a
red & white herald. The car is similar to the Overland 3270, and Richard and
I discussed the decal problem for this car back in 2003.

Decals (lack of) for tank cars is a real problem!

Tim O'Connor

What year were these cars built? And, are there any decals available
for Diamond Alkali (DAX)?
Several photos I have show built dates from 1929 through the early
1930s. No decals, AFAIK.

Richard Hendrickson

jerryglow2

I wonder if Whistle Stop in Pasadena CA might ever had some done. They had connections with Thin Film and did decals for the Arrowhead water car although admittedly that has more SoCal roots.

As a young teen, I remember sending off to Diamond Chemical themselves who offered a free decal set.

Jerry Glow