From: ottokroutil
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 2010 6:41 AM
Subject: [STMFC] GN ore jennies

I am about to upgrade the wheels on my string of GN ore cars. Looking at photos, the wheels under 40's era GN ore jennies look larger than 33". Is this an optical illusion because of the diminuitive size of these cars, or did they ride on 36" wheels???
Thanks for any help, Otto Kroutil

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

otto kroutil wrote:
I am about to upgrade the wheels on my string of GN ore cars. Looking at photos, the wheels under 40's era GN ore jennies look larger than 33". Is this an optical illusion because of the diminuitive size of these cars, or did they ride on 36" wheels???
I'd bet on the illusion. Same thing happens with small tank cars, which at first glance appear to ride on enormous trucks.

Publishers of books on railroad history

gary laakso

All of the ore car diagrams in the 1948 edition of the Great Northern Freight Car Diagrams show 33" wheels.

gary laakso
south of Mike Brock
vasa0vasa@earthlink.net