Mystery Boxcar

olin4812

Along the old Wabash near Minneola Iowa, are three wrecked boxcars lying on their sides tilted down into a gully. One appears to be a N&W B-5 or similar (flat X29 type roof, 5-4 blank W corner post ends, full length side sill with slight fish belly. The other one is a classic steel side rebuild of a USRA single sheathed boxcar with underframe widening gussets, 4:4 sides and a high tack board like the Wabash cars.

The third car however, is a bit of a mystery to me:

50', Enterprise type ends, diagonal panel roof, double youngstown doors, DF rails, full length side sills that extend all the way to the car end and 4 channels on the center sill, possibly an early sliding center sill. The ends have the remains of some black car cement on them. No paint markings remain on any of the cars. With a diagonal panel roof and Enterprise ends, it's clearly a rebuild of some type.

Anyone have any ideas of what this car might be, or what it was rebuilt from? Also, if it turns out this car was a post 1960 rebuild, my apologies for posting this question on the list!

Olin Dirks
Omaha, NE

Gary Roe

Olin Dirks wrote:

Along the old Wabash near Minneola Iowa, are three wrecked boxcars lying on
their sides tilted down into a gully.

Olin,

I can't help you with identifying the car; but the Wabash commonly used old,
tired box cars for embankment protection along major creeks and streams. If
you walk the Wabash Trace Trail northward (railroad west) from Malvern,
Iowa, you can see a number of cars in Silver Creek, including an x-Pennsy
round roof car the Wabash bought second hand. This is best done in the
Winter or very early Spring, as the underbrush was extremely thick last time
I was there.

gary roe

quincy, illinois

olin4812

Thanks Gary, If Wabash was in the habit of using boxcars for erosion control, then maybe that means that it's likely that the double door car is a "system" car, which could narrow my search a bit. I do know that NKP reroofed a lot of older cars with diagonal panels ....

Olin Dirks
Omaha, NE