From: ed_mines
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, June 24, 2010 1:10 PM
Subject: [STMFC] demise of kits

I think the facts that most model railroaders have 2 lifetime supplies of kits and that they ruin many of those kits when they try to build them are mostly responsible for the demise of kits. Better to buy one built up model and enjoy it on the shelf than have 3 more in boxes in the closet.

Now if we had some new blood coming into the hobby they'd be building up collections of boxes in the closet but that's not the case.

It must be tough on new guys to pay big bucks for everything.

Atleast they're potential customers for kits in the closet.

Ed

Mark

I had a chance to get to the basement and run some trains. While they ran I got busy with three RTR Proto NKP 50' boxcars with horn hook couplers! replaced them with knuckle ones and noticed a derailment. An Accurail kit, three bay hopper was on the ground. Replaced the trucks with metal wheels and removed the plastic knuckles for #58's.
Got back to operating and noticed the better cars, rivet drooling :-). Turned around to a set of drawers and looked at some stock. Pulled out three wagon top cars, two brass and one heavily worked styrene put them on the track and boy they look good. That drawer has seven M53, four M26, eight mather stockcars and about fourteen other kits. A plastic container with fifty resin kits and another 50 Branchline cars!

What we need are 10' H boxcars with a variety of roofs, doors and ends. There are others.

Mark Morgan

From: STMFC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:STMFC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Ed
Mines.

Now if we had some new blood coming into the hobby they'd be building up
collections of boxes in the closet but that's not the case.
There are lots of new guys coming into Model Railroading but it's not your
particular incarnation -- they're sitting at their PC's doing rail
simulators. Teenagers and college students are very common participants on
train sim boards.

It must be tough on new guys to pay big bucks for everything.
Again, WRT your incarnation of Model Railroading, yeah, it must be. Over in
mine (sims) it's dirt cheap. Sure, I have to shell out big bucks for a high
performance gaming rig... but compared to a house with enough room for a
nice sized layout... and all the expense of lumber & other materials, I'm
waaay out ahead on the savings. I can put dozens of full-sized routes on my
PC, most of which are free, and hundreds upon hundreds of freight cars,
locomotives, etc., most of which are free. Consider: I can buy a dozen
professionally painted, high detail steam era diesel locomotives for less
than $20. What's that going to cost in HO?

I know the standard rebuttal of "That's not model railroading"... but it
really is: it's equivalent to a different scale. Pretty much requires all
the same skills, albeit using different media and tools and the same
knowledge.

Back to kits... yes, we're I still participating in the "older form" of
Model Railroading, I too would be moaning at the demise of kits -- I really
like assembling kits, be they plastic or resin (as in I still do, on
occasion). But I could see that both cost and space constraints made it
impossible to build a physical model railroad... but my PC enabled me to
build waaaay beyond what I ever considered for a garage layout: whole
subdivisions.

Anyway, I understand all the financial issues of cutting tooling and what
that means for everybody... I think the demise of inexpensive entry products
is deadly and the demise of kits is but one example.

Dave Nelson

Scott Pitzer

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Nelson" <Lake_Muskoka@...> wrote:
I can put dozens of full-sized routes on my
PC, most of which are free, and hundreds upon hundreds of freight cars,
locomotives, etc., most of which are free. Consider: I can buy a dozen
professionally painted, high detail steam era diesel locomotives for less
than $20. What's that going to cost in HO?

I know the standard rebuttal of "That's not model railroading"... but it
really is: it's equivalent to a different scale. Pretty much requires all
the same skills, albeit using different media and tools and the same
knowledge.
----------------------------
Not to mention, Ben Hom wouldn't have to worry about "ham-handed operators" knocking off the grab irons!
Scott Pitzer

Thomas Vanderlip <thomasvanderlip@...>

Clark,
A couple of my friends who complain bitterly about the demise of kits have at least 300 unbuilt Athearn Blue Box kits stored under their unfinished layouts. But they are still looking for more kits to BUY.

If they ever start buillding, the have at least one year of kits if they only build one a day
Thom

Brian Carlson

I have 300+ unbuilt kits plastic and resin. I sold two to Armand a while back. Bought some extra's from Clark recently too. I build them as I have time, Yet I am always looking for more to fill in the holes in the fleet. I am also as far as this list is concerned relatively young at 1937.

Seriously though this kit vs. RTR  discussion comes up every 6 months or so, (next week the bananna one will start), we should really turn it into a drinking game, and I don't even drink.
Brian carlson

At Naperville guys buy arm loads of kits from Martin. Last show a guy was selling his collection. I don't know how many kits there were, but there were a bunch. Maybe more that Martin's inventory?

How many more guys like him are out there with dozens of unbuild kits? Why would they want more?

I might buy something to build at the Nation Train show next month....Got my eye on that F&C little C&O DD. Have documentation of one on my RR with a lumber load. Got two lumber yards on the layout.

Clark "No Kit Stockpile" Propst

Pierre <pierre.oliver@...>

Brian,
Your suggestion here is probably the best thing I've heard on this subject for years.
Pierre Oliver

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Brian Carlson <prrk41361@...> wrote:

I have 300+ unbuilt kits plastic and resin. I sold two to Armand a while back. Bought some extra's from Clark recently too. I build them as I have time, Yet I am always looking for more to fill in the holes in the fleet. I am also as far as this list is concerned relatively young at 1937.

Seriously though this kit vs. RTR  discussion comes up every 6 months or so, (next week the bananna one will start), we should really turn it into a drinking game, and I don't even drink.
Brian carlson

Bill Welch

I don't know Brian, if you are really one thousand, nine hundred and thirty seven years old, I am very impressed that not only can you still build these kit but you are looking into the future.

And you consider yourself relatively young. What a great attitude and perspective!

Bill Welch

[...]

How the heck did I type that? I'm 37, and just received two more HO P2k flat
cars I purchased from the HO Yardsale group. Those lamenting kits need to
check that group out (Type HO Yardsale in Yahoo groups) also a lot of p2k
kits have been appearing on Ebay at reasonable prices lately, kinda odd,
lots of tank cars. Kits are out there. Plus our own Andy Carlson (No
relation) almost always has kits.

Brian J. Carlson, P.E.

Cheektowaga NY

prrk41361@yahoo.com

I don't know Brian, if you are really one thousand, nine hundred and thirty
seven years old, I am very impressed that not only can you still build these
kit but you are looking into the future.

And you consider yourself relatively young. What a great attitude and
perspective!

Bill Welch

jerryglow2

Neat assembly of prepainted kits (at least for me) is not all that easy esp those containing tiny parts that need to be glued. I recently assembled my ART reefer kit purchased from the Amarillo RR Museum and had so much trouble getting good adhesion of the roof details I wound up stripping the roof and ends so I could assemble them as raw plastic. Luckily I found a perfect match for the roof/end color while I was doing a kitbashed R40-10 clone. I did loose the end lettering but made decals of what had been on them. See my ART project in progress at:
http://home.comcast.net/~jerryglow/modeling/ART_steel_reefers.html

Jerry Glow

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "ed_mines" <ed_mines@...> wrote:

I think the facts that most model railroaders have 2 lifetime supplies of kits and that they ruin many of those kits when they try to build them are mostly responsible for the demise of kits. Better to buy one built up model and enjoy it on the shelf than have 3 more in boxes in the closet.

Now if we had some new blood coming into the hobby they'd be building up collections of boxes in the closet but that's not the case.

It must be tough on new guys to pay big bucks for everything.

Atleast they're potential customers for kits in the closet.

Ed

tmolsen@...

Brian,

I wouldn't worry about collecting kits as someday in the near future we are going to lose Sunshine to retirement (Tricia will be 65 next year and she has hinted at retirement) and Al Westerfield is closing and retiring at the end of April 2011.

I have approximately 1100 urethane kits and almost 1000 plastic injection kits. In the next year I will thin out the plastic heavily as the urethane kits now duplicate most of the plastic in my 1953 time frame.

Some needle me about having so many unbuilt kits, but so what! If you like freight cars, there are so many railroads and so many different cars. When you lived almost your entire life around the railroad as I have, freight cars have been like old friends. Having a large inventory allows me the ability to pick and choose what I want to build when I want to build it, not having to wait until I can buy it somewhere and hoping that the manufacturer will still be in business.

Built up cars are fine, but many still leave you having to modify and in many cases repaint or renumber them!

Also, I like to invoke a line that Richard Hendrickson once said on this list when this type of string came up in the past: "When I see a freight car kit I like, I buy it and put in my basement! If I do not get to build it, then it is my heirs problem! Amen brother!

Tom Olsen
7 Boundary Road, West Branch
Newark, Delaware, 19711-7479
(302) 738-4292
tmolsen@udel.edu
54 years as a modeler and railfan: 38.5 years as a professional railroader!

Dennis Williams

I add as much as I can to my inventory!! Building my own equipment is a little on the slow side  for I am building for everyone else.
  One thing of interest, I have not become bored with building the resin kits. As long as people need them built, I will keep building!!!
  As for Sunshine and Westerfield hanging it up, the price of 2nd hand kits have really spiked  within the last few months.
Dennis Williams / Owner
Resinbuilders4u.com

[...]

ed_mines

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Vanderlip" <thomasvanderlip@...> wrote:
A couple of my friends who complain bitterly about the demise of kits have at least 300 unbuilt Athearn Blue Box kits stored under their unfinished layouts.
300 all together or 300 each?

Thomas Vanderlip <thomasvanderlip@...>

Probaboly 300 each
Thom