From: almabranch <harperandbrown@gmail.com>
Subject: [STMFC] Drill source
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sunday, June 27, 2010, 6:39 PM

Someone on this list helped me with a source for small drills, but I have lost the info. My pack of a dozen #80's is about gone. Can someone help? Thanks.
Jared Harper
Athens, GA

Todd Horton

McMaster Carr in Atlanta, excellent source for almost everything. Todd Horton

________________________________
From: almabranch <harperandbrown@gmail.com>
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sunday, June 27, 2010, 6:39 PM

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Jared Harper wrote:
Someone on this list helped me with a source for small drills, but I have lost the info. My pack of a dozen #80's is about gone. Can someone help? Thanks.
Small Parts has them, which I like because I buy other stuff from them. And they have high-speed steel (HSS) drills, which are IMMENSELY superior to carbon steel (cheaper) drills.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Jack Burgess

I believe Widget is the one who had the broken tip bits...I asked for replacement drills without broken tips but they couldn't supply them and refunded my money.

Jack Burgess
www.yosemitevalleyrr.com

<Try Widget Supply. Dennis resinbuilders4u.com

Schuyler Larrabee

Super-fast service, too . . .

Generally:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#

Specifically:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#drill-bits-for-brass/=7q06pa

Also note drills specifically for plastic.

SGL

McMaster Carr in Atlanta, excellent source for almost everything. Todd Horton

________________________________
Someone on this list helped me with a source for small drills, but I have lost the info. My pack of a dozen #80's is about gone. Can someone help? Thanks.
Jared Harper
Athens, GA

=======
=======

=======
http://www.pctools.com/
=======

Rob M.

IIRC I got this off of Gene Deimling and the P:48 list:

http://www.shorinternational.com/Drilling.htm

http://www.shorinternational.com/DrillPivotBur.htm

Rob Mondichak

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "almabranch" <harperandbrown@...> wrote:

Someone on this list helped me with a source for small drills, but I have lost the info. My pack of a dozen #80's is about gone. Can someone help? Thanks.
Jared Harper
Athens, GA

WILLIAM PARDIE

Since we are discussing tools there is an item that I am desperately
seeking. Waaay back when Brookstone
actually sold tools and was not a mall outlet they sold an item called
a Macro File. It was available in square
and round and was about half the size of anything on the market
today. There was an article in Model Railroader
about that time by someone who built an operating HO handcar using
these files to create the gears.

I may have asked this before,however, I am still looking. I;m not
sure if the one that I have left has any grooves
left but I still use it.

Thanks for any help or suggestions:

Bill Pardie

Jeweler's supply houses have not been helpful

On Jun 27, 2010, at 5:17 PM, Rob wrote}

IIRC I got this off of Gene Deimling and the P:48 list:

http://www.shorinternational.com/Drilling.htm

http://www.shorinternational.com/DrillPivotBur.htm

Rob Mondichak

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "almabranch" <harperandbrown@...> wrote:

Someone on this list helped me with a source for small drills, but
I have lost the info. My pack of a dozen #80's is about gone. Can
someone help? Thanks.
Jared Harper
Athens, GA

Dennis Williams

Jack.
  I have not had any problems as of yet with them.  I do look at every one I use, just in case!!  Dennis

I believe Widget is the one who had the broken tip bits...I asked for replacement drills without broken tips but they couldn't supply them and refunded my money.

Jack Burgess
www.yosemitevalleyrr.com

<Try Widget Supply. Dennis resinbuilders4u.com

Walter

Try Craig Marten at BLMA. I bought my last dozen from him and had good luck, he also has brass
grab iron templates.

WLO

Walter

Try Craig Marten at BLMA. I bought my last dozen from him and had good luck, he also has brass
grab iron templates.

WLO

Jim Betz

If you want your #80 drills to last longer ... just use a #78.
I challenge you to tell the difference when the model is complete.
Try it on some scrap if you don't believe me.

Jack Burgess

It was only the #79 and #80 bits. I noticed because I was trying to drill brass using them in a micro drill press and wasn't getting any chips.

Jack

<
<--- On Sun, 6/27/10, Jack Burgess <jack@yosemitevalleyrr.com> wrote:
<
<
<I believe Widget is the one who had the broken tip bits...I asked for
<replacement drills without broken tips but they couldn't supply them and
<refunded my money.
<
<Jack Burgess
<www.yosemitevalleyrr.com

ed_mines

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "almabranch" <harperandbrown@...> wrote:
Someone on this list helped me with a source for small drills, but I have lost the info. My pack of a dozen #80's is about gone.
That about 2 hours worth for me.

ed_mines

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Jack Burgess" <jack@...> wrote:

Drill City is good. I ordered some drills from another on-line dealer once and the small drills weren't sharp (they appeared under a lope to be broken).

The cheap ones sold by a vendor in one of the 2 major magazines were certainly inferior to ones form McMasters.

Jared Harper

I am drilling holes for the scale size spikes from Proto87 Stores. The #80 drills are just barely small enough. I am using the small spikes in a cosmetic situation where glue is actually holding the rail down. A #81 or #82 would be better, but not readily available. A #78 would be waaay too big.
Jared Harper
Athens, GA

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Jim Betz <jimbetz@...> wrote:

If you want your #80 drills to last longer ... just use a #78.
I challenge you to tell the difference when the model is complete.
Try it on some scrap if you don't believe me.

Jared Harper

Ed,
A ha! It was Mc Master Carr that I ordered from. Thanks!
Jared Harper
Athens, GA