Sunshine on Ebay

Tim O'Connor

this is the highest I've ever seen for a Sunshine mini-kit
(basically a Tichy box car with new ends & fishbelly)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190412933632

Tim O'Connor

Pierre <pierre.oliver@...>

But very well executed by a very talented modeler.
That mini-kit can represent the same amount of time to complete as a conventional resin kit, so I'm not sure what a "reasonable" price might have been.
I think that selling price is well within line for the item.
Pierre Oliver

pullmanboss <tcmadden@...>

this is the highest I've ever seen for a Sunshine mini-kit
(basically a Tichy box car with new ends & fishbelly)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190412933632

Tim O'Connor
Yes, but the seller was Bob Smaus. His stuff always brings high prices.

Tom Madden

Clark Propst

I'll sell my finished model for a hundred : )

That's nuts, good for the seller.

Clark Propst

this is the highest I've ever seen for a Sunshine mini-kit
(basically a Tichy box car with new ends & fishbelly)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190412933632

Mostly true, but I lost the bidding on this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190412927423

this is the highest I've ever seen for a Sunshine mini-kit
(basically a Tichy box car with new ends & fishbelly)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190412933632

Tim O'Connor
Yes, but the seller was Bob Smaus. His stuff always brings high prices.

Tom Madden

Frederick Freitas <prrinvt@...>

Guyz,

          For those intimidated by resin kits, there is a resin4U company that
will build your kit, paint & letter for $100.00 piece each. I would figure
this as the "norm" for piece work in the hobby.

Fred Freitas

________________________________
But very well executed by a very talented modeler.
That mini-kit can represent the same amount of time to complete as a
conventional resin kit, so I'm not sure what a "reasonable" price might have
been.
I think that selling price is well within line for the item.
Pierre Oliver

this is the highest I've ever seen for a Sunshine mini-kit
(basically a Tichy box car with new ends & fishbelly)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190412933632

Dennis Williams

Thank you, Fred for letting everyone know.
Dennis Williams/ Owner
www.resinbuilders4u.com

But very well executed by a very talented modeler.
That mini-kit can represent the same amount of time to complete as a
conventional resin kit, so I'm not sure what a "reasonable" price might have
been.
I think that selling price is well within line for the item.
Pierre Oliver

this is the highest I've ever seen for a Sunshine mini-kit
(basically a Tichy box car with new ends & fishbelly)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190412933632

Dennis Williams

Pierre.
  I would have to agree with you on the price.  I followed the prices for a year before I came up with mine.  Some are out there, Vinager tank car, Pickle car for instance. All in what people are willing to pay.  Look at the brass market, now that is crazy!!

Dennis Williams
www.resinbuilders4u.com

But very well executed by a very talented modeler.
That mini-kit can represent the same amount of time to complete as a conventional resin kit, so I'm not sure what a "reasonable" price might have been.
I think that selling price is well within line for the item.
Pierre Oliver

this is the highest I've ever seen for a Sunshine mini-kit
(basically a Tichy box car with new ends & fishbelly)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190412933632

Tim O'Connor

Bill Welch

Recently someone sent me the results on the bidding for one of Sunshine's AC&F insulated tank car kits. Note I said kit, as in unbuilt. The price was well over $200. (I built two of these, wonder what they would bring?)

I should add that every time I see the IM folks at one of the prototype meets I remind them all they need to do is cut a tool for this insulated tank and they would have a whole new model with many colourful (eye-candy) schemes.

Bill Welch

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@> wrote:

this is the highest I've ever seen for a Sunshine mini-kit
(basically a Tichy box car with new ends & fishbelly)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190412933632

Tim O'Connor

pullmanboss <tcmadden@...>

this is the highest I've ever seen for a Sunshine mini-kit
(basically a Tichy box car with new ends & fishbelly)
Among the multitude of almost-finished projects on my workbench is a Sunshine mini-kit for converting an IM 10'-6" IH boxcar into a 1942 MoP ACF car. So far the project has absorbed the mini-kit, one IM undec boxcar kit, one RC/IMWX roof, 6 RC bracket grabs, 4 A-Line sill steps, 1 Tichy AB brake set, 4 Tichy turnbuckles (for brake rod clevises - clevii?), 1 Kadee Apex roof walk, 2 Hi-Tech Details air hose assemblies, 4 scratchbuilt ladders and 1 pair Accumate scale couplers. Trucks (with semi-scale wheelsets), brake wheel and brake step, and painting & lettering still to come. Yes, the mini-kit wasn't all that expensive, but add in all the other stuff, and an assembly time just as great as for a full resin kit, and a $100-plus price tag seems more than reasonable.

Tom Madden

Dennis Williams

Bill.
  That price was unbelievable.  I have 1 with a price tag on the box of $28.95.

Dennis Williams/ Owner
www.resinbuilders4u.com

But very well executed by a very talented modeler.
That mini-kit can represent the same amount of time to complete as a conventional resin kit, so I'm not sure what a "reasonable" price might have been.
I think that selling price is well within line for the item.
Pierre Oliver

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@> wrote:

this is the highest I've ever seen for a Sunshine mini-kit
(basically a Tichy box car with new ends & fishbelly)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190412933632

Brian Carlson

I think tom meant his Resin stuff. I bid on the Wabash car, but not nearly
that high. why? Because, I have plenty of my own kits to build and if I can
get a built kit for what I think is a reasonable price I will bid. (of
course everyone' s definition of reasonable will be different) I've bid on
Bob's stuff before and lost.

Brian J. Carlson, P.E.

Cheektowaga NY

prrk41361@yahoo.com

Mostly true, but I lost the bidding on this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem
<http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190412927423>
&item=190412927423

this is the highest I've ever seen for a Sunshine mini-kit
(basically a Tichy box car with new ends & fishbelly)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem
<http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190412933632>
&item=190412933632

Tim O'Connor
Yes, but the seller was Bob Smaus. His stuff always brings high prices.

Tom Madden

Pierre <pierre.oliver@...>

It is occasionally remarkable what some people are prepared to pay for an unbuilt Sunshine kit. But the long turn around time from Martin is a major factor. It's that instant gratification thing.
I would venture to suggest that one of your built tank car kits would fetch at least $150.00, maybe upwards of $200.00, depending on timing of auction.
And for anyone who thinks that that is an out of line price ask yourself how many hours of time go into one of those projects and how much do you earn in the course of your working day.
I earn far less an hour building resin kits than I do in the entertainment business, but show biz is not steady work and not near as fun.
Pierre Oliver
http://elgincarshops.com/

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "lnbill" <fgexbill@...> wrote:

[...]

           The costs discussed are well within the reason of craftsman's work.
How much do custom painters charge to tear down a steam loco, paint,
and reassemble, detail and weather?  Last one I priced was $325.00; I
passed on it. If you are one of those who is terrified of trying the resin
market, then by all means Dennis is your man.
Some folks will never have 50% of the skills most on this list have built up
over the years; that does not mean they cannot participate in the proto
side of the hobby.  It's your money, spend it however you desire for
those signature cars each of us looks for constantly. When my hands give
out with age I may well being calling Dennis myself. Why? I have seen
his work.

Fred Freitas

________________________________
[...]

Ed Hawkins

On Jul 11, 2010, at 2:01 PM, lnbill wrote:

Recently someone sent me the results on the bidding for one of
Sunshine's AC&F insulated tank car kits. Note I said kit, as in
unbuilt. The price was well over $200. (I built two of these, wonder
what they would bring?)

I should add that every time I see the IM folks at one of the
prototype meets I remind them all they need to do is cut a tool for
this insulated tank and they would have a whole new model with many
colourful (eye-candy) schemes.
Bill,
An insulated tank could certainly be made for installation on the
existing IM Type 27 underframe. The last thing I want to do is throw
cold water on the idea, but it should be pointed out these cars weren't
real "common" with only about 300 Type 27 insulated 8,000-gallon or
10,000-gallon cars built on the same size underframe offered by
InterMountain (36'-2 3/8" over end sills and 25'-8 1/4" truck centers).
Of the 300 total cars, 84 were 8,000-gallon and 216 were 10,000-gallon,
and most were built in very small groups. When considering other
parameters such as dome sizes that varied considerably, jacket design,
and different types of dome platforms, identifying an insulated tank
with common dimensions and characteristics that would be accurate for
multiple paint/lettering schemes is one that yields limited results.

My search for the most common insulated tanks for use on the IM
underframe came up with 81 single-compartment 10,000-gallon cars
including CDLX 1104-1106 and 78 SHPX cars numbered 13116-13193. The
most common arrangement for an 8,000-gallon insulated tank with
dimensions fitting the IM underframe applied to 30 single-compartment
SHPX cars numbered in series 4004-4034 and one Monsanto car. All other
choices were significantly fewer in number.

Do you think this is enough to convince IM to tool 8K and/or 10K gallon
insulated tanks? Of course, there are other cars that might be
considered "close enough" by some to justify expanding the list.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

Tim O'Connor

Pierre

Hah! Have you seen Bill's tank cars? I'll open the bidding at $150,
and I'm sure it will go much higher...

I would never imply that building resin kits to the level that we
build them (as Tom Madden describes in his bill of materials) is a
reasonable business model -- you can make more money working at a
McDonald's for minimum wage!

The guys who make money turn sow's ears (Athearn and Walthers $10
cars) into silk purses (weathering, graffiti, etc). With practice I
think you can at least double that minimum wage! :-)

Tim O'Connor