Sunshine 69.4 - ATSF Bx-58

bnpmodeler

Greetings all;

I am currently building a Sunshine kit #69.4 ATSF Bx-58 boxcar for a friend. I have tried the search function here on the group to see if any discussion has occurred regarding these cars, but have not had any luck. I was hoping to find some pointers to photos for reference. If anyone can help out, especially with a B-end view showing the end ladder (the kit instructions don't provide any indication of exact length of the ladder, only that it was "cut down to 7 rungs").

Also, I would like to confirm that the roof was black, the carlines were black, and the running board was NOT black (unpainted wood or weathered Mineral red?).

Were the ends black (I think not)?

Any insight would be most appreciated.

Jim Harr
Stella Scale Models
www.stellascalemodels.com

Raymond Young

Hello,

One side photo in Santa Fe Freight in Color...the Series by Stephen Priest and
Thomas Chenoweth on page 31 appears to be painted in mineral brown, including
the roof.  I would infer the ends are also mineral brown from the parts in
view.  Ladders are not clear to my eyes.

Regards,
Virgil Young
Amarillo, TX

________________________________
I am currently building a Sunshine kit #69.4 ATSF Bx-58 boxcar for a friend. I
have tried the search function here on the group to see if any discussion has
occurred regarding these cars, but have not had any luck. I was hoping to find
some pointers to photos for reference. If anyone can help out, especially with a
B-end view showing the end ladder (the kit instructions don't provide any
indication of exact length of the ladder, only that it was "cut down to 7
rungs").

Also, I would like to confirm that the roof was black, the carlines were black,
and the running board was NOT black (unpainted wood or weathered Mineral red?).

Were the ends black (I think not)?

Any insight would be most appreciated.

Jim Harr
Stella Scale Models
www.stellascalemodels.com

Dennis Williams

Hi Jim.
  Roof was black and the walk was mineral red.  Ends were not black. I built mine with 7 rungs.
Dennis Williams/ Owner
www.resinbuilders4u.com

I am currently building a Sunshine kit #69.4 ATSF Bx-58 boxcar for a friend. I have tried the search function here on the group to see if any discussion has occurred regarding these cars, but have not had any luck. I was hoping to find some pointers to photos for reference. If anyone can help out, especially with a B-end view showing the end ladder (the kit instructions don't provide any indication of exact length of the ladder, only that it was "cut down to 7 rungs").

Also, I would like to confirm that the roof was black, the carlines were black, and the running board was NOT black (unpainted wood or weathered Mineral red?).

Were the ends black (I think not)?

Any insight would be most appreciated.

Jim Harr
Stella Scale Models
www.stellascalemodels.com

Richard Hendrickson

On Jul 14, 2010, at 7:21 AM, bnpmodeler wrote:

I am currently building a Sunshine kit #69.4 ATSF Bx-58 boxcar for
a friend. I have tried the search function here on the group to see
if any discussion has occurred regarding these cars, but have not
had any luck. I was hoping to find some pointers to photos for
reference. If anyone can help out, especially with a B-end view
showing the end ladder (the kit instructions don't provide any
indication of exact length of the ladder, only that it was "cut
down to 7 rungs").

Also, I would like to confirm that the roof was black, the carlines
were black, and the running board was NOT black (unpainted wood or
weathered Mineral red?).

Were the ends black (I think not)?
I'm sending you, attached to a separate e-mail, an end view which
will answer your questions about the end, as well as a 3/4 taken
shortly after the car was converted from Fe-P. Roof color depends on
the date the car you're modeling was repainted. On all Santa Fe
house cars from ca. 1930 through the mid-1950s, metal roofs were
painted anti-skid black (black car cement with coarse granules mixed
in) and wood running boards were mineral brown, the same as the rest
of the car body. Ends were NOT black. After the mid-1950s, roofs
were painted anti-skid mineral brown, same as the earlier black roofs
except that the coarse granules were mixed into mineral brown paint,
not black car cement. This practice was intended to provide secure
footing for trainmen, so after running boards were removed and
ladders cut down, it was discontinued. I'm not sure what you mean by
carlines, since those were inside the car body, but only the metal
roofs themselves, not the car body eaves, were painted black.

Richard Hendrickson

tmolsen@...

Jim,

There are two "B" end photos of composite BX-58's on page 106 of John C. Dobyne III's Santa Fe Boxcars 1869-1953, a Santa Fe Railway Historical and Modeling Society publication.

One car is numbered 32485 and the other is numbered 32434. The first car is in sawdust service and has roof hatches for easy loading, while the other is a true single door boxcar. Both have 7-5-5 Corrugated doors with flat steel extensions to make up the height difference. Both have second hand radial roofs.

The end ladder has seven rungs. The bottom of the ladder stiles begin above the first bottom corrugation of the car end. There is a riveted steel reinforcing strip that goes across the top of the car end with another which appears to be the upper riveted eave strip (which wraps around the edge of the car side at the end corners) above it that partially overlays the first. The top of the curved ladder stiles end at the point where the top strip overlays the lower one. The running board end supports are riveted to the top riveted eave strip.

The cars are equipped with AB brakes and have Ajax hand brake gear. The trucks are Andrews cast sideframe with bolted journals. The retainer valve pipe runs up the end of the car just to the right of the ladder and at the base of the Ajax brake gear housing curves to the right around the housing with the retainer valve attaching to the car end just above the top riveted eave strip between the gear case and the running board left support strip. The brakeman's step is located by the 2nd rung of the ladder from the top (between the 5th and 6th end rib from the top) of the car.

According to Mr. Dobyne's book, cars were painted mineral brown with metal roofs (after 1931) coated with black car cement with slate granules sprinkled in it to provide a non-slip surface. He also states that outside wood roofs continued to be painted mineral brown. He added that in or about 1951 the railroad began using a brown car cement on roofs or spraying them with mineral brown paint and that by the late 1950s the majority of car roofs would have been brown.

I hope that this information helps. The SFRH&MS has published a number of very well executed books on freight rolling stock (shameless plug) and are a must if you are building Santa Fe freight rolling stock.

Tom Olsen
7 Boundary Road, West Branch
Newark, Delaware, 19711-7479
(302) 738-4292
tmolsen@udel.edu

bnpmodeler

Tom, this is great info, thank you so much. And thanks also to everyone else who contributed, it is greatly appreciated.

Jim Harr
Stella Scale Models
www.stellascalemodels.com