Milwaukee convention report

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

An amazing observation was made at the Milwaukee NMRA convention last week. Only a single individual wearing the traditional "vest" with a patch collection was spotted. Either the fun poked at vesties has caused them to retire those garments, or maybe the older crowd which favored them has passed on. But the days when masses of NMRA members were synonymous with vest wearing appear to have passed.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Garth G. Groff <ggg9y@...>

Tony,

Could it be they just left their vests at home because they thought it was too hot in Milwaukee?

Kind regards,

Garth Groff

Garth G. Groff wrote:
Could it be they just left their vests at home because they thought it was too hot in Milwaukee?
Always possible, but weather there was actually pretty pleasant last week, and the convention center was correctly air conditioned: it seemed neither warm nor cool. BTW, I meant to mention that Walthers was showing their 10,000 gallon insulated tank car, which looks pretty nice. I asked them if they were going to do smaller sizes, like 8000 and 6000 gallons, and their booth reps all said "Huh?"

Publishers of books on railroad history

Frederick Freitas <prrinvt@...>

Tony,

        There was a time in the 60's when this was fashion, now we have moved on.
No doubt the "vesties" comments have had an effect as well. Either way, Those awful
red rags had to go. Does this mean that they have finally embraced the proto modeler?
Time will tell. Thanks for reporting the good news.

Fred Freitas

An amazing observation was made at the Milwaukee NMRA
convention last week. Only a single individual wearing the traditional
"vest" with a patch collection was spotted. Either the fun poked at
vesties has caused them to retire those garments, or maybe the older
crowd which favored them has passed on. But the days when masses of
NMRA members were synonymous with vest wearing appear to have passed.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Not passed; moved on. It could be that many vesties have become valued
trophies, due to their brightly colored plumage and often colorful facial
expressions, that is when properly mounted. I have a prime male vestie,
nicely stuffed and oriented in an angry, "mid-opinion" motif. My wife wants
me to get rid of it.

Elden Gatwood

Anthony Thompson wrote:
An amazing observation was made at the Milwaukee NMRA convention last
week. Only a single individual wearing the traditional "vest" with a
patch collection was spotted. Either the fun poked at vesties has
caused them to retire those garments, or maybe the older crowd which
favored them has passed on. But the days when masses of NMRA members
were synonymous with vest wearing appear to have passed.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail,
thompson@... <mailto:thompson%40signaturepress.com>
Publishers of books on railroad history

Scott Pitzer

Perhaps there are some prototype modelers (for whom a 50' box car is as short as they come, and "Fallen Flag" means Conrail) who snicker at the "shirties" aka Friends of the Freight Car (and other similar group names.)
Scott Pitzer

pullmanboss <tcmadden@...>

Perhaps there are some prototype modelers (for whom a 50' box car is as short as they come, and "Fallen Flag" means Conrail) who snicker at the "shirties" aka Friends of the Freight Car (and other similar group names.)
Scott Pitzer
Touché! My black FOFC and coach green SP Society golf shirts are very subdued, but the orange shirt I received as a clinician at the Santa Fe Society's Amarallo convention is something else entirely. My wife will not permit me to wear it in public, unless I get a job as a traffic cone. Guess convention shirts are like bridesmaid's dresses - wear once and bury.

Tom Madden

Frederick Freitas <prrinvt@...>

Scott,

         I'll be a "shirtie" any day !

Fred Freitas

Perhaps there are some prototype modelers (for whom a 50' box car is as short as they come, and "Fallen Flag" means Conrail) who snicker at the "shirties" aka Friends of the Freight Car (and other similar group names.)
Scott Pitzer

Randy Williamson

I did not get a clinician shirt at Milwaukee. I wore my Ry-Opsig shirt.

Randy Williamson
www.prrfreight.com

Quoting pullmanboss :

> Perhaps there are some prototype modelers (for whom a 50' box car
is as short as they come, and "Fallen Flag" means Conrail) who snicker
at the "shirties" aka Friends of the Freight Car (and other similar
group names.)
Scott Pitzer
Touché! My black FOFC and coach green SP Society golf shirts are very
subdued, but the orange shirt I received as a clinician at the Santa Fe
Society's Amarallo convention is something else entirely. My wife will
not permit me to wear it in public, unless I get a job as a traffic
cone. Guess convention shirts are like bridesmaid's dresses - wear once
and bury.

Tom Madden

Frederick Freitas <prrinvt@...>

Tom,

          wear it grocery shopping with your honey; when she sees how many people understand it, she will think you are a very popular person ! My wife has gotten used to
an assortment of PRR shirts, and they never fail to start a conversation. Made some very good friends that way, too.

Fred Freitas

Perhaps there are some prototype modelers (for whom a 50' box car is as short as they come, and "Fallen Flag" means Conrail) who snicker at the "shirties" aka Friends of the Freight Car (and other similar group names.)
Scott Pitzer
Touché! My black FOFC and coach green SP Society golf shirts are very subdued, but the orange shirt I received as a clinician at the Santa Fe Society's Amarallo convention is something else entirely. My wife will not permit me to wear it in public, unless I get a job as a traffic cone. Guess convention shirts are like bridesmaid's dresses - wear once and bury.

Tom Madden

Richard Hendrickson

On Jul 19, 2010, at 10:26 AM, Anthony Thompson wrote:

...BTW, I meant to mention that Walthers
was showing their 10,000 gallon insulated tank car, which looks pretty
nice. I asked them if they were going to do smaller sizes, like 8000
and 6000 gallons, and their booth reps all said "Huh?"
At the time the development work was done for the Life-Like/Walthers
P2K 10K gal. insulated tank car, there was some discussion about
doing an 8K gal. equivalent, but there simply were not enough
prototypes to justify tooling it. Insulated cars were not built in
large numbers during the 1920s, when AC&F was turning out the Type
21s, and though some Type 21 ICC-103s had insulation and jacketing
added by their owners in later years, there was no standard practice
for doing so and thus a lot of variation among the prototype cars.
Give Bill Wischer and his colleagues some credit; they did consider
modeling the smaller insulated tanks but, wisely, I think, elected
not to do so. In any case, trying to get more than "huh?" from the
booth reps is bound to be a waste of time, as they are sales guys who
typically know less than nothing about either prototype research or
model R&D. They're sort of the duller male equivalents of the sexy
female booth babes the aircraft and armor modeling companies have on
hand at conventions, who also are entirely ignorant but much more
decorative.

Richard Hendrickson

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Scott Pitzer wrote:
Perhaps there are some prototype modelers (for whom a 50' box car is as short as they come, and "Fallen Flag" means Conrail) who snicker at the "shirties" aka Friends of the Freight Car (and other similar group names.)
Perhaps so. But some of them have "shirty" attire too, Scott.

Richard Hendrickson wrote:
In any case, trying to get more than "huh?" from the booth reps is bound to be a waste of time, as they are sales guys who
typically know less than nothing about either prototype research or model R&D. They're sort of the duller male equivalents of the sexy female booth babes the aircraft and armor modeling companies have on hand at conventions, who also are entirely ignorant but much more decorative.
Very true, as I'm well aware. But there were REAL booth babes at a couple of the vendor locations, kind of a surprise in some ways, but after all, this is a 99% male hobby. Or at least it is at the NMRA.

Richard Hendrickson wrote:

In any case, trying to get more than "huh?" from the
booth reps is bound to be a waste of time, as they are sales guys who
typically know less than nothing about either prototype research or
model R&D. They're sort of the duller male equivalents of the sexy
female booth babes the aircraft and armor modeling companies have on
hand at conventions, who also are entirely ignorant but much more
decorative.
Bill Schneider - Rapido's "Booth Babe".

Tom Madden

Frederick Freitas <prrinvt@...>

GUYZ,

           Do any of you want to see Bill "scantilly clad" at the next meet?

Fred Freitas

glgpat@...

An amazing observation was made at the Milwaukee NMRA convention last week.
Only a single individual wearing the traditional "vest" with a patch
collection was spotted.

Tony,

There weren't a whole lot of other people spotted in Milwaukee last week
either. Especially not at the show in a venue that close to Chicago.

I didn't see a single vestie at the show.

Pat Wilkinson

Kurt Laughlin <fleeta@...>

From: pullmanboss <tcmadden@...>
To: STMFC@...
Date: Monday, July 19, 2010, 5:26 PM

Richard Hendrickson wrote:

In any case, trying to get more than "huh?" from the
booth reps is bound to be a waste of time, as they are sales guys who
typically know less than nothing about either prototype research or
model R&D. They're sort of the duller male equivalents of the sexy
female booth babes the aircraft and armor modeling companies have on
hand at conventions, who also are entirely ignorant but much more
decorative.
Bill Schneider - Rapido's "Booth Babe".

Tom Madden

Mike Brock <brockm@...>

More importantly...certainly more in scope [ hmmm. maybe I need to post the definition of the word? ]...did anyone notice any new or proposed frt cars? How about the Athearn SP MT-4 with shroud. Did they show it?

Mike Brock
STMFC Owner

Tim O'Connor

Tony Thompson wrote

BTW, I meant to mention that Walthers was showing their 10,000 gallon
insulated tank car, which looks pretty nice.
Tony, you mean the Proto 2000 Type 21 insulated car that's been
available for several years? Or a new model?

As for the response to your question, in all the years I've seen
Walthers display booths, I've never been able to get an answer to
any question about any models.

Tim O'Connor