SHPX 13141


Charles Hladik
 

Peter,
The Naugatuck Chemical Company also had a large plant in Painesville,
Ohio on the Fairport, Painesville and Eastern (FP&E). In the 50's all I
recall were black tank cars with no logo.
Chuck Hladik
Rutland Railroad
Virginia Division

In a message dated 7/22/2010 7:23:51 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
prness@... writes:





First off, forgive me if this car is beyond the scope of the group. I
don't think it is, but perhaps the lessee may be. If so, apologies in
advance.

This car appears to be either a 10000 gallon or insulated 8000 gallon
car. The car is of interest to me for several reasons;

The photo of the car is from beyond the time of this group by about 6
years and the roadnumber lettering seems fairly "modern" to my eye (but
I am darned sure the car itself qualifies!) and it has (to me) an
interesting logo on the tank side; The logo is circular and perhaps 2/3
the diameter of the tank dome. It has a white outer trim ring with a
red band inside that, containing lettering (illegible in photo). Inside
of this red circular band with white lettering is a white circle that
contains what resembles a yacht pennant. The pennant is blue and
contains a white shape that may be an elongated diamond on the middle,
with possible more detail in this white shape. This interests me
because by the time the photo was taken it seems most leased tank cars
were becoming bland without much lessee identification, and if present
more likely to be lettering and not a flashy, colorful logo!

It's also interesting to me because the tank car immediately behind SHPX
13141 has the same logo, so there were at least two cars so painted!

Even more (to me), I've been told by a trusted source that this "may"
(operative word) have been leased by US Rubber, which was affilated wtih
Naugatuck Chemical, which was located on the New Haven Railroad, which I
model!

In the best of all worlds, someone could confirm for me that SHPX 13141
fits within the era of this group, who leased it with the fancy logo
which is also within the era of this group, be able to identify the car
type and number series and wonder of wonders, perhaps share (or point me
to) a photo that clearly shows the logo. I guess all that would be left
after that would be if someone could educate me to what model would be
correct (if there is one) and who makes the decals (Ha! might as well
ask for the moon, right?)

Thanks in advance,

Peter Ness


Peter Ness
 

First off, forgive me if this car is beyond the scope of the group. I
don't think it is, but perhaps the lessee may be. If so, apologies in
advance.

This car appears to be either a 10000 gallon or insulated 8000 gallon
car. The car is of interest to me for several reasons;

The photo of the car is from beyond the time of this group by about 6
years and the roadnumber lettering seems fairly "modern" to my eye (but
I am darned sure the car itself qualifies!) and it has (to me) an
interesting logo on the tank side; The logo is circular and perhaps 2/3
the diameter of the tank dome. It has a white outer trim ring with a
red band inside that, containing lettering (illegible in photo). Inside
of this red circular band with white lettering is a white circle that
contains what resembles a yacht pennant. The pennant is blue and
contains a white shape that may be an elongated diamond on the middle,
with possible more detail in this white shape. This interests me
because by the time the photo was taken it seems most leased tank cars
were becoming bland without much lessee identification, and if present
more likely to be lettering and not a flashy, colorful logo!

It's also interesting to me because the tank car immediately behind SHPX
13141 has the same logo, so there were at least two cars so painted!

Even more (to me), I've been told by a trusted source that this "may"
(operative word) have been leased by US Rubber, which was affilated wtih
Naugatuck Chemical, which was located on the New Haven Railroad, which I
model!

In the best of all worlds, someone could confirm for me that SHPX 13141
fits within the era of this group, who leased it with the fancy logo
which is also within the era of this group, be able to identify the car
type and number series and wonder of wonders, perhaps share (or point me
to) a photo that clearly shows the logo. I guess all that would be left
after that would be if someone could educate me to what model would be
correct (if there is one) and who makes the decals (Ha! might as well
ask for the moon, right?)

Thanks in advance,

Peter Ness


Ed Hawkins
 

On Jul 22, 2010, at 6:18 PM, Peter Ness wrote:

First off, forgive me if this car is beyond the scope of the group. I
don't think it is, but perhaps the lessee may be. If so, apologies in
advance.

This car appears to be either a 10000 gallon or insulated 8000 gallon
car. The car is of interest to me for several reasons;
<snip>

Peter,
SHPX 13141 was one of 53 10,000-gallon insulated ICC 103 Type 27 tank
cars built by AC&F as part of lot no. 2141A. They were used for asphalt
and assigned to series 13123-13175. All of the cars had heater pipes. A
builder's photo of 13125, built 11-40, was plainly lettered for
Shippers' Car Line without any lessee stencils. No doubt that through
the years different lessees used the cars and some with sporty
lettering.

There were 17 additional cars built to the same specs (but without
heater pipes) in lot 2141, numbered 13116-13122 and 13176-13175. SHPX
13119 was the only car having a full dome platform with hand rails.
These latter 17 cars were for latex and were leased to a number of
companies in small groups painted/lettered a variety of ways for
Revertex Corp. of America, Heveatex Corp., Charles T. Wilson Co.
(liquid latex), General Latex and Chemical Corp., Wecoline Products,
and 9 cars simply lettered for Shippers' Car Line.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins


Peter Ness
 

Hi Chuck,

OK, now I'm getting a creepy feeling. I grew up in MA in a town served
by the New Haven which I model. Now I live in OH two towns away from
Painesville and Fairport Harbor - and commute to work through
Painesville 5 days a week.

I know historically this part of OH was "the Western Reserve" since it
was part of CT for a while, but the Naugatuck Chemical connection is
just plain eerie (not Erie, which is about 50 miles East).

Thanks for the information!

Regards,

Peter Ness


--- In STMFC@..., RUTLANDRS@... wrote:

Peter,
The Naugatuck Chemical Company also had a large plant in Painesville,
Ohio on the Fairport, Painesville and Eastern (FP&E). In the 50's all
I
recall were black tank cars with no logo.
Chuck Hladik
Rutland Railroad
Virginia Division


Peter Ness
 

Hi Ed,

Thanks very much for the additional information. I have some photos of
SHPX cars from the late '40's and early '50's in which "SHPX" and the
road number are in a "railroad roman" font. In the photo of SHPX 13141
the fonts are more like a Futura type (i.e., no serif, tails or
whatever). Was there a time period in which SHPX changed their font
style or could it have been up to the lessee or during inspection,
repainting or repair that they style may have changed? Can I tell
anything about what year(s) the car was in this service by the lettering
style?

Many thanks,

Peter Ness


--- In STMFC@..., Ed Hawkins <hawk0621@...> wrote:
Peter,
SHPX 13141 was one of 53 10,000-gallon insulated ICC 103 Type 27 tank
cars built by AC&F as part of lot no. 2141A. They were used for
asphalt
and assigned to series 13123-13175. All of the cars had heater pipes.
A
builder's photo of 13125, built 11-40, was plainly lettered for
Shippers' Car Line without any lessee stencils. No doubt that through
the years different lessees used the cars and some with sporty
lettering.

There were 17 additional cars built to the same specs (but without
heater pipes) in lot 2141, numbered 13116-13122 and 13176-13175. SHPX
13119 was the only car having a full dome platform with hand rails.
These latter 17 cars were for latex and were leased to a number of
companies in small groups painted/lettered a variety of ways for
Revertex Corp. of America, Heveatex Corp., Charles T. Wilson Co.
(liquid latex), General Latex and Chemical Corp., Wecoline Products,
and 9 cars simply lettered for Shippers' Car Line.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins


Ed Hawkins
 

On Jul 22, 2010, at 9:49 PM, Peter Ness wrote:

Thanks very much for the additional information. I have some photos of
SHPX cars from the late '40's and early '50's in which "SHPX" and the
road number are in a "railroad roman" font. In the photo of SHPX 13141
the fonts are more like a Futura type (i.e., no serif, tails or
whatever). Was there a time period in which SHPX changed their font
style or could it have been up to the lessee or during inspection,
repainting or repair that they style may have changed? Can I tell
anything about what year(s) the car was in this service by the
lettering
style?
Peter,
I looked through a lot of SHPX tank car photos, both builder's and in
service from the late-1920s to the mid-1950s, and the overwhelming
majority had reporting marks and car number stencils in sans-serif
style lettering. As you state, there were some SHPX tank cars that used
serif-style reporting marks and car number stencils (i.e., Railroad
Roman). I found this on cars leased to Sparton Oils (1927-1928),
Southern Alkali (late-1940s to 1952), and Wyandotte Chemicals
(late-1940s to 1952). However, there were at least two examples of SHPX
cars leased to Wyandotte Chemicals had sans-serif lettering, so they
all weren't always consistent. There may have been a few others having
serif-style stencils, but this is what I found doing a relatively quick
search.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins


Donald Ford <ford.donald77@...>
 

Peter
I read your post about CT and Paniesville and Fraiport Harbor and the Western
Reserve.
Let me add that area is also known as the "Fire Lands" because after the
revelution that area was granted to the people from CT that were burned out by
the British during the war. Just some bit of info I picked up alonge the way.
Don Ford Kanab UT




________________________________
From: Peter Ness <prness@...>
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Thu, July 22, 2010 8:31:15 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Re: SHPX 13141

 

Hi Chuck,

OK, now I'm getting a creepy feeling. I grew up in MA in a town served
by the New Haven which I model. Now I live in OH two towns away from
Painesville and Fairport Harbor - and commute to work through
Painesville 5 days a week.

I know historically this part of OH was "the Western Reserve" since it
was part of CT for a while, but the Naugatuck Chemical connection is
just plain eerie (not Erie, which is about 50 miles East).

Thanks for the information!

Regards,

Peter Ness

--- In STMFC@..., RUTLANDRS@... wrote:

Peter,
The Naugatuck Chemical Company also had a large plant in Painesville,
Ohio on the Fairport, Painesville and Eastern (FP&E). In the 50's all
I
recall were black tank cars with no logo.
Chuck Hladik
Rutland Railroad
Virginia Division






[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]


Eric Hansmann
 

--- Donald Ford wrote:

Peter
I read your post about CT and Paniesville and Fraiport Harbor and the Western
Reserve.
Let me add that area is also known as the "Fire Lands" because after the
revelution that area was granted to the people from CT that were burned out by
the British during the war. Just some bit of info I picked up alonge the way.
========================


Donald,

You are correct in part of your description of The Firelands, but the area encompassed only the western-most counties of the Western Reserve; those counties west of Lorain County.
http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~maggieoh/western.html

The entire Western Reserve hosted a network of railroads during the steam era. PRR, NYC, B&O, NKP, ERIE, and W&LE owned large fleets of freight cars that served the industrial scene. It has been fascinating to discover details on a very small portion of this network that came together in Newburgh, Ohio just south of Cleveland.
http://designbuildop.hansmanns.org/

Hopefully I'll meet Peter sometime soon as he seems to live about 40 miles north of me and we can trade freight car building ideas.

Eric


Eric Hansmann
Chagrin Falls, Ohio