Raised panel roof replacement

Ken O'Brien

I'd like to change the roof of some of my Lehigh & New England Red Caboose X-29 type cars. The last series of L&NE boxes were delivered with raised panel roofs. The original style flat roof leaked and since the LNE hauled bagged cement, better water-tight roofs were needed. I have a Speedwitch conversion kit for an older series LNE car and this started me thinking of this conversion.
The few car pictures I've seen aren't real definitive. I suppose they used a Murphy raised panel roof; these were used by other roads in that area. These roofs had the raised rectangular panels between the roof ribs.

Does anyone make a drop-in replacement roof? I'd like at least two. Thanks.

Ken O'Brien

Bill Welch

Dear Ken

I did the pattern Ted used in his modernized LNE car using the RC X29/1923 kit and I am mystified as to which LNE kit you are referring to from Speedwitch as I think he only offers the rebuilt version with the Murphy roof.

My pattern involved narrowing a styrene Murphy roof (Branchline, with permission) and using the roof furnished with the RC kit as a base to glue it to. I am leaving out details but as to what I did to the kit roof to prepare it as a base because I am too lazy to type them.

The same roof, plus a diagonal paneled which I also did can be come in two versions of a Maine Central re-roofing. I need to redo the pattern for the CNJ rebuild.

Does this help?

Bill Welch

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Ken" <kobrien1600@...> wrote:

I'd like to change the roof of some of my Lehigh & New England Red Caboose X-29 type cars. The last series of L&NE boxes were delivered with raised panel roofs. The original style flat roof leaked and since the LNE hauled bagged cement, better water-tight roofs were needed. I have a Speedwitch conversion kit for an older series LNE car and this started me thinking of this conversion.
The few car pictures I've seen aren't real definitive. I suppose they used a Murphy raised panel roof; these were used by other roads in that area. These roofs had the raised rectangular panels between the roof ribs.

Does anyone make a drop-in replacement roof? I'd like at least two. Thanks.

Ken O'Brien

boyds1949 <E27ca@...>

Quick Question. Do the LNE cars use the X-29 body or were they built to the ARA design? Two photos in "The Lehigh and New England Railroad" by Douglas Lilly (p 62 and 115)showing 8367 (flat end) and 8641 (dreadnaught end) both appear to show the ARA side panel placement.

The factory pained RC car I have uses the X-29 body but I think that is wrong.

John King

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "lnbill" <fgexbill@...> wrote:

[...]

pullmanboss <tcmadden@...>

Here's what Ted's web site says about the LNE re-roofed cars:

"The LNE started later [than the MEC], using the diagonal version exclusively (the LNE did buy NEW ARA cars in 1934 that used rectangular panel roofs and Dreadnaught ends, but those cars should not be confused with these more numerous, re-roofed cars.)"

So, the LNE flat-ended re-roofed ARA boxcars use the diagonal panel roof only. That's what's in my two Speedwitch kits of those cars.

Tom Madden

[...]

You are correct Tom. I have too many models in my head. Regardless the correct roof is available with Speedwitch's kit. I am not sure if LNE used the X29 or "1923" style of body but I am sure the Speedwitch kit has the correct part.

The MEC kit comes with a choice of roofs.

Bill Welch

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "pullmanboss" <tcmadden@...> wrote:

[...]

Tim O'Connor

The LNE 8001-8500 series used the 1923 ARA side pattern. Red Caboose
did these correctly as unmodified cars. Later Red Caboose released
"patched" cars in black LNE billboard paint, but the patched RC body
uses the X29 side pattern so it is incorrect for LNE 8001-8500.

According to a Greg Bartek email of 11/12/2005 (RPM-Forum] not all of
the flat-roof cars received replacement roofs. But I haven't seen any
photos of flat-roof cars in the 1950's, yet.

Tim O'Connor

You are correct Tom. I have too many models in my head. Regardless the correct roof
is available with Speedwitch's kit. I am not sure if LNE used the X29 or "1923" style
of body but I am sure the Speedwitch kit has the correct part.

The MEC kit comes with a choice of roofs.

Bill Welch

boyds1949 <E27ca@...>

Tim,

Thanks. I will keep my eyes open for the correct ones when visiting hobby shops. They apparantly have done the red cars both ways. The kit I have is RC-7014-4 and, unfortunately, it is done on the X-29 body with no patch panels. My plan was to buy one of the Speedwitch kits for the decals, use a flat roof from another kit and paint it in the red color.

John King