stringers

Staffan Ehnbom <staffan.ehnbom@...>

Would anyone know how many stringers were under the floor of IC box cars series 17000-18999 blt 1938? Two or four?

Staffan Ehnbom

Ed Hawkins

On Jul 28, 2010, at 11:13 AM, Staffan Ehnbom wrote:

Would anyone know how many stringers were under the floor of IC box
cars series 17000-18999 blt 1938? Two or four?
Staffan,
I don't know for sure without checking, but general arrangement and
brake arrangement drawings for these cars are at the Museum of
Transportation. They are AC&F drawing no. 6152497 and 6152498,
respectively. I can check on this the next time I visit the MOT, but I
don't know when that will be.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

Tim O'Connor

Staffan if you ever find out please let us know! :-)

The AAR 1940 Car Construction recommendation was two on each side
of the center sill. But prior to that I just don't know, and AFAIK
none of the 1937 AAR box car models has gotten it right (I mean, I
can't confirm if any of them is correct).

Tim O'Connor

Would anyone know how many stringers were under the floor of IC box cars series 17000-18999 blt 1938? Two or four?

Staffan Ehnbom

Andy Carlson

Look at the Branchline shake-the-box (Yardmaster) '37 AAR boxcar-it has a single
stringer along each side of the center sill.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

________________________________
From: Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@comcast.net>

The AAR 1940 Car Construction recommendation was two on each side
of the center sill. But prior to that I just don't know, and AFAIK
none of the 1937 AAR box car models has gotten it right (I mean, I
can't confirm if any of them is correct).

Frank Greene

Drawings for Southern 40 ton 1937 box cars (10000-, 260500-, 306000-) show one stringer each side of the center sill.

Tim O'Connor wrote:

The AAR 1940 Car Construction recommendation was two on each side
of the center sill. But prior to that I just don't know, and AFAIK
none of the 1937 AAR box car models has gotten it right (I mean, I
can't confirm if any of them is correct).

Frank Greene
Memphis, TN

Staffan Ehnbom <staffan.ehnbom@...>

Ed,

Thank you very much for wanting to check out the drawing. When you do, please, report to the list as more persons than I seem to want to know.

Gratefully,
Staffan

On Jul 28, 2010, at 11:13 AM, Staffan Ehnbom wrote:

> Would anyone know how many stringers were under the floor of IC box
> cars series 17000-18999 blt 1938? Two or four?

Staffan,
I don't know for sure without checking, but general arrangement and
brake arrangement drawings for these cars are at the Museum of
Transportation. They are AC&F drawing no. 6152497 and 6152498,
respectively. I can check on this the next time I visit the MOT, but I
don't know when that will be.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

Staffan Ehnbom <staffan.ehnbom@...>

The A.A.R. 1937 design had two stringers, one on each side. But MILW rib side boxes had four stringers already in 1939 at least, ahead of the 1940 recommendation and 1942 design. Unfortunately IC diagrams don't show the stringer arrangement whereas the GN diagrams I'm used to do.

Staffan Ehnbom

--

Frank Greene
Memphis, TN

Staffan Ehnbom <staffan.ehnbom@...>

Andy,

Still no guarantee the IC didn't put extra stringers on in 1938 even if slightly less likely.

Staffan