Reefer Storage

Bob C <thecitrusbelt@...>

I understand that on some railroads wood sheathed refrigerator cars were parked in groups of five for extended storage . The groups were separated by a space to inhibit the spread of fire in the string of stored cars.

Would this also have been the case for steel sheathed cars with wood interiors? Were other kinds of cars stored in this manner?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

rwitt_2000

Bob,

I once observed a string of "bad order" boxcars on the B&O in storage at
Caseyville, Illinois in ~1962 that stretched for a mile or more without
any breaks. These, of course, were all steel-sheathed with wood linings
with lots of class M-26 ARA boxcars.

Regards,

Bob Witt