sheet brass

Al and Patricia Westerfield <westerfield@...>

It wasn't until recently that I was told that Russ Simpson had died. We bought out brass strips from him (1,000 at a time, therefore the delay). Does anyone know of another source? I'd hate to purchase a cutter for the last few months we'll be in business. - Al Westerfield

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Al Westerfield wrote:
It wasn't until recently that I was told that Russ Simpson had died. We bought out brass strips from him (1,000 at a time, therefore the delay). Does anyone know of another source? I'd hate to purchase a cutter for the last few months we'll be in business.
I bought lots of No. 5 turnouts from Russ, along with his very nice wye turnouts. Hopefully I have a sufficient stock that I can finish the layout now under construction. But Al raises a good point: has anyone heard of a purchaser for Russ's business? It was a good line and we can hope that it won't vanish.

Tony Thompson Editor, Signature Press, Berkeley, CA
2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705 www.signaturepress.com
(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, thompson@signaturepress.com
Publishers of books on railroad history

proto48er

Al -

I have a couple of Di-Acro shears tuned up to cut thin brass shimstock (half hard). What thickness and what dimensions do you need? Have a 12" shear and a 36" shear (a second 36" shear is down for modification of the holddown to cut thin angle and Z stock), but the 12" one cuts best. All three have freshly sharpened blades. I also have a 6" roller and an 18" roller to flatten out rolled shimstock, if that is what you use for material.

I am an "O" scale guy, so have no idea what kind of brass stuff goes in your kits??

Let me know the details - looks like it will be good exercise!!

A.T. Kott

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Al and Patricia Westerfield" <westerfield@...> wrote:

It wasn't until recently that I was told that Russ Simpson had died. We bought out brass strips from him (1,000 at a time, therefore the delay). Does anyone know of another source? I'd hate to purchase a cutter for the last few months we'll be in business. - Al Westerfield

Kurt Laughlin <fleeta@...>

I think K&S will do custom cuts in quantity. Check their website.

KL

----- Original Message -----
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2010 10:56 AM
Subject: [STMFC] sheet brass

Kurt - Thanks, we deal with K&S but hadn't thought to ask. - Al

Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2010 7:20 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] sheet brass

I think K&S will do custom cuts in quantity. Check their website.

KL

Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2010 10:56 AM
Subject: [STMFC] sheet brass

A. T. - Thanks for calling. The strap stock is .005" thick brass, 3 HO inches wide, and nominally 30 HO feet long. Length doesn't matter as long as it's at least 30' long. We normally ordered 1,000 pieces from Simpson and that lasts us about 18 months. Since we'll be out of business in nine, I guess 500 pieces would tide us through. Simpson charged us $0.14 apiece. - Al

Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2010 5:20 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Re: sheet brass

Al -

I have a couple of Di-Acro shears tuned up to cut thin brass shimstock (half hard). What thickness and what dimensions do you need? Have a 12" shear and a 36" shear (a second 36" shear is down for modification of the holddown to cut thin angle and Z stock), but the 12" one cuts best. All three have freshly sharpened blades. I also have a 6" roller and an 18" roller to flatten out rolled shimstock, if that is what you use for material.

I am an "O" scale guy, so have no idea what kind of brass stuff goes in your kits??

Let me know the details - looks like it will be good exercise!!

A.T. Kott

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Al and Patricia Westerfield" <westerfield@...> wrote:
>
> It wasn't until recently that I was told that Russ Simpson had died. We bought out brass strips from him (1,000 at a time, therefore the delay). Does anyone know of another source? I'd hate to purchase a cutter for the last few months we'll be in business. - Al Westerfield
>
>
>