From: Tim O'Connor
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Sunday, August 01, 2010 7:10 AM
Subject: [STMFC] Re: NYC wreck (was Black Car Cement on roofs)

You're right Tom, it is a NYC car, as this view shows part of
the NYC reporting marks behind the man's right shoulder
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/nyc/nyc-elywrk-erc.jpg

Verrrrryyy interesting.... :-) Now the mystery is, why does a car
with 4/4 dreadnaught ends have wood running boards, since they were
outlawed for new car construction before anyone began using 4/4 IDE
ends??

Now, 8xxxx (5-digit box cars) tended to be 40' rebuilds of older cars.
Looking at your photo, the number of roof panels is consistent with a
50' box car http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/nyc/nyc-elywrk-drc.jpg

This may be it: http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/nyc/nyc-elywrk-irc.jpg

There was Lot 742-B, 50' single door box cars built in 1946, e.g. NYC 80868
(Railway Age Jan 1947). These cars were specially equipped, which may account
for the horizontal rows of rivets shown in the photo.

Still, this does not settle the mystery of wood running boards and a modern IDE.

I imagine that steam loco with elephant ears was a Niagara (4-8-4) or
a Mohawk (4-8-2).

How would you have liked to watch this whole wreck from the vantage of
that crossing guard's tower? :-)

>There are 14 pictures in that wreck sequence. It was obviously on the NYC,
>and in the last photo of the sequence an in-service NYC steam engine (with
>elephant ears - I'm not familiar enough with NYC steam te say what it is)
>passes by. In the <-frc.jpg> portion of the link below, just substitute
>letters "a" through "n" for the "f" to see the rest of the photos. Some
>really interesting stuff there.
>
>Photo "d" is of the A end of the subject car. It's fairly low resolution, but
>by processing the image I can make out what looks like the letters N and Y above
>the number 80735. It also appears to have 4/4 IDE ends. Was there an NYC 80735???
>
>Tom Madden

Tim O'Connor

The GATX tank car looks like it would be an easy kitbash from
the Red Caboose welded 10,000 gallon model -- it even has the
squared off handrails. The number looks like 76375 or something
close to it...

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/nyc/nyc-elywrk-grc.jpg

Tim O'

Tim and Tom,

80735 was a NYC car number. It was from the series 80500-80999. Which was NYC Lot no 742-B built in 1946/47 by ACF. According to Terry Link's Canada Southern site, it's a Branchline kit #1000C with 4/4 ends.

The steam loco is definately a 4-8-4 Niagara. As we can't read the road number, it is either the sole S-1a class engine #6000, or one of the S-1b class #6001 to 6025.

Regards,

Robert Bogie
Melbourne, Australia

pullmanboss <tcmadden@...>

Tim O'Connor:

How would you have liked to watch this whole wreck from the vantage of
that crossing guard's tower? :-)
Probably would have required a change of underwear afterward.

Tom Madden

Todd Horton

My thoughs exactly :-)  Todd Horton

________________________________
How would you have liked to watch this whole wreck from the vantage of
that crossing guard's tower? :-)
Probably would have required a change of underwear afterward.

Tom Madden

Clark Propst

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/nyc/nyc-elywrk-jrc.jpg

In the above photo it looks like the flooring has been replaced in the doorway of the NYC box car. Unpainted wood?
Clark Propst

rwitt_2000

Clark Propst wrote:

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/nyc/nyc-elywrk-jrc.jpg

In the above photo it looks like the flooring has been replaced in the
doorway of the NYC box car. Unpainted wood?
Clark,

I would not find this unusual because after the introduction of loading
with forklifts the flooring by the doors took a real beating. Many cars
receive steel plates to cover this area. I know the B&ORR did this as
drawings exist showing these perforated steel plates.

Bob Witt