From: STMFC@... on behalf of Steve Lucas
Sent: Tue 8/3/2010 11:47 AM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: [STMFC] That Shorpy freight shed photo...

There is so much else to see in this photo, which IMHO deserves a thread of its own. I like the piecemeal replacement of the running boards on the Pennsy boxcar in the lower left of the photo.

http://www.shorpy.com/node/704?size=_original

There literally is something for every STMFC modeller in many of Delano's photos. What a treasure trove they are!

Steve Lucas.

pullmanboss <tcmadden@...>

Steve Lucas wrote:

There is so much else to see in this photo, which IMHO deserves a thread of its own. I like the piecemeal replacement of the running boards on the Pennsy boxcar in the lower left of the photo.

http://www.shorpy.com/node/704?size=_original

There literally is something for every STMFC modeller in many of Delano's photos. What a treasure trove they are!
Notice that there is no end tack board on the MILW wood boxcar on the right, nor any lateral roof walks.

Tom Madden

Rob M.

Lots of valuable STMFC info can be gleaned from Delano's Chicago area Kodachromes as well as his other railroad subjects. I've been trying to catalog a list of reporting marks and numbers for future reference.

I check back on the Shorpy site often since he has been adding material from other photographers of that era that are not part of the LOC archives.

Rob Mondichak.

soolinehistory <destorzek@...>

--- In STMFC@..., "pullmanboss" <tcmadden@...> wrote:

Notice that there is no end tack board on the MILW wood boxcar on the right, nor any lateral roof walks.

Tom Madden
That's because you can tack a card anywhere on a wood end :-)

The ARA at one time recommended a tack-board sized rectangle to be painted black, in an attempt to minimize damage to the siding, or at least confine the damage to one place, but not all roads did this, either. This recommendation dates back to 1914; I haven't bothered to try to determine when it was dropped.

The purpose of lateral running boards was to give a man climbing to the roof something other than metal to stand on, the theory being that smooth metal was more slippery than wood. Since either double board roofs or "inside" metal roofs already had a wooden outer surface, most roads didn't bother adding the laterals.

Dennis

Andy Sperandeo <asperandeo@...>

Of course, Tom, on a wooden carbody EVERYTHING is a tack board. - Andy

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Dennis Storzek wrote:
The ARA at one time recommended a tack-board sized rectangle to be painted black, in an attempt to minimize damage to the siding, or at least confine the damage to one place, but not all roads did this, either. This recommendation dates back to 1914; I haven't bothered to try to determine when it was dropped.
I have a wonderful photo of a PFE reefer with such a black rectangle, and there are remnants of cards tacked almost everywhere AROUND the rectangle, and just a couple IN the rectangle.

Publishers of books on railroad history

soolinehistory <destorzek@...>

I have a wonderful photo of a PFE reefer with such a black
rectangle, and there are remnants of cards tacked almost everywhere
AROUND the rectangle, and just a couple IN the rectangle.

Tony Thompson
Some roads went as far as to stencil TACK CARDS HERE in the rectangle to try to get the message across.

Dennis

Clark Propst

Ted Culotta included this photo in his first (and last) calendar. If this is the first time you've seen this photo it's no wonder Ted never did another : )

Clark Propst

coronadoscalemodels

With the article about Muncie & Western "Ball Line" boxcars in the latest RMC (August 2010), here is another Shorpy photo by Jack Delano showing one of these cars in color.

http://www.shorpy.com/node/1605?size=_original

Stan Schwedler
Coronado Scale Models

Garth G. Groff <ggg9y@...>

Stan and friends,

All the factory-painted models of the M&W "Ball" cars I've seen have been more-or-less a bright yellow (Proto 2000, Mainline and Train-Miniature come to mind). I would expect this color to be generally correct, especially if Proto 2000 did their car in yellow. But this car is about the same color as the PFE reefer at left, a definite orange. Hmmm.

Also of interest are the interiors of the various gondolas. I note that they are not really colored much by lading, but the composite cars are largely weathered gray, and the NYC steel car is mostly rust. Also note the drop bottom car at lower center. The tops of the frame bolsters show, and are quite rusted.

Finally, I'm quite taken by the little man-powered railway we've discussed before in relation to another photo of this site. One of the push cars can be seen near the flatcars with the wood loads. That is really a neat detail.

Kind regards,

Garth Groff

coronadoscalemodels wrote:

With the article about Muncie & Western "Ball Line" boxcars in the latest RMC (August 2010), here is another Shorpy photo by Jack Delano showing one of these cars in color.

http://www.shorpy.com/node/1605?size=_original

Stan Schwedler
Coronado Scale Models

Stokes John

I see the color differently than you do, Garth. To me there is a definite shade of difference between the Ball car and the reefer, the latter being more orange. And, the reefers in question were not an orange orange, but more to the yellow side, and with weathering even more so. I see the Ball car as about as seen on the painted models, taking into consideration that they are fresh painted while again weathering is evident in the prototype car. In all the magazine color photos of the Ball cars I have never seen one that was orangish, but more straight yellow, like this car.

Plus, your computer screen may project the colors differently than mine does.

Just my own observations.

John Stokes
Bellevue, WA

To: STMFC@...
From: ggg9y@...
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 12:06:49 -0400
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: That Shorpy freight shed photo...

[...]

al_brown03

My first thought on seeing these two cars was "gee, the Ball Line car's weathered almost as orange as the PFE reefer". That is, I too see a difference, and I find the boxcar's color the more remarkable of the two.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

To: STMFC@...
From: ggg9y@...
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 12:06:49 -0400

[...]

Thomas Baker

The Delano photos never lose their punch, always something to make one think. The Ball Line car looks like one of the taller Fowler cars referenced in the article by Monte Switzer, but perhaps that's just a distortion.

Tom