Sunshine Naperville Introductions

Jim Hayes

Today I received a flyer from Sunshine titled Naperville Introductions. The
new introductions are

NC&St.L XM-32 36' steel rebuilt boxcar
Circumferential rivet tanks
GN 2501 series plywood express boxcars
GM&O 35200 40' DD autocar
CRI&P covered hopper for silica sand, Mini-Kit
ATSF Bx-41,42,45,46,49 ARA rebuilds
D&RGW 15' door 10'8" IH auto/grain box
Fruehauf ribbed trailers
NKP, LV, ATSF piggyback flat Mini-Kits

Photos of some are included. There's also a 2nd flyer which is identical to
the ATSF convention flyer with the header changed.
The Naperville Introductions flyer can be viewed on my website on the Meets
page.

Question: Does anyone know what circumferential rivet tankcar will be sold?

Jim Hayes
Portland Oregon
www.sunshinekits.com

al_brown03

The Barrett tank shown has five courses, and those look like AC&F tank mounts (if I have my spotting features right) ... *and* a Dixie Line rebuild? Wow, wish I could go.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

--- In STMFC@..., Jim Hayes <jimhayes97225@...> wrote:

[...]

mike brock <brockm@...>

Jim Hayes says:

Circumferential rivet tanks
Is this a tank car? I assume so, this being the STMFC. Is it a radial tank car?

Mike Brock

Brian Carlson

This is going to be one expensive Naperville if all these kits show up.

Brian J. Carlson, P.E.

Cheektowaga NY

prrk41361@...

[...]

Pierre <pierre.oliver@...>

I would hope so. I'm afraid of the alternatives. :-)
Pierre Oliver

--- In STMFC@..., "mike brock" <brockm@...> wrote:

Jim Hayes says:

Circumferential rivet tanks
Is this a tank car? I assume so, this being the STMFC. Is it a radial tank
car?

Mike Brock

Bill Welch

As a ya'll road modeler I am thrilled to finally see the little NC&StL rebuild. Martin has had the components of this car in the works for well over a decade. They had Murphy ends in addition to the reversed Hutchins ends. In addition to the "stripe" scheme there was at least what I would call the "script" scheme with Dixieland in what looks like a fountain pen stroke which Martin is doing also.

Bill Welch
Clearwater, FL

[...]

seaboard_1966

Guy

We at WrightTRAK will be there as well and will be featuring 2 new kits. One a PRR prototype and the other a SAL prototype. That is all I have to say. See you guys at the Naperville Show. We will be having sales out of our suite during the weekend as well as being present at the show.

Denis Blake
One of The WrightTRAK Guys

2011 Central Ohio Prototype Modelers Meet, May 5-8

http://www.facebook.com/pages/manage/#!/pages/Central-Ohio-Prototype-Modelers-Meet/326645470797

[...]

Roland Levin

Jim

Will you scan the flyer and post it to your website? I'm interested in more information about the D&RGW car.

Roland Levin
Stockholm, Sweden
http://hem.bredband.net/drgw

[...]

Sorry Roland but I don't have the flyers yet. I posted everything I
received. I won't have the flyers until I journey to the Naperville RPM meet
in October. Expect to see them on my website on the 27th or 28th of October.

Jim Hayes
Portland Oregon
www.sunshinekits.com

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 12:02 AM, <roland.levin@...> wrote:

Jim

Will you scan the flyer and post it to your website? I'm interested in more
information about the D&RGW car.

Roland Levin
Stockholm, Sweden
http://hem.bredband.net/drgw

mne: [STMFC] Sunshine Naperville Introductions

[...]

FRANK PEACOCK

Bill, I too am glad Martin is doing the NC&StL XM-32 as it was the largest class on the railroad in 1947. I wonder which Hutchins end he is doing? I did a quick check of one that I saw in 1987 in Illinois and it had two section Hutchins ends, not the four section end shown on p.23 of Freight Cars Journal No. 63. This same publication has as you know some good stenciling diagrams in it including the "To and From Dixieland" (Brush Stroke) and the same in the much finer, earlier script lettering. A question for you and the group: When did the N&C begin to use the large horizontal stripes on box cars? The earliest that I can document is Sept. 1946. I have a feeling that in my era not many of these would be around, which is okay since I like the other "To and From Dixieland" Stencils better. FHP (Frank H. Peacock)

To: STMFC@...
From: fgexbill@...
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 01:36:41 +0000
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Sunshine Naperville Introductions

[...]

Dear Frank

I had not picked up the variations for the Hutchins ends. As for the yellow stripes on their boxcars, I do not know when these began to appear. None of the 3 books I have on the NC&StL talk anything about their freight cars nor did the FCJ monograph put a date to this scheme. My bet is that your research makes you are the authority on this, at least I am nominating you as such!

Bill Welch

To: STMFC@...
From: fgexbill@...
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 01:36:41 +0000

[...]

Frank Greene

FRANK PEACOCK wrote:
... When did the N&C begin to use the large horizontal stripes on box cars? The earliest that I can document is Sept. 1946. I have a feeling that in my era not many of these would be around, which is okay since I like the other "To and From Dixieland" Stencils better. FHP (Frank H. Peacock)

In his 1932 ARA box car book, Ted Culotta says 1947. I'd have to say your 1946 evidence is at least in the right ballpark.

--

Frank Greene
Memphis, TN

Tim O'Connor

Not all XM32 rebuilds had Hutchins ends. There's a photo in Carstens'
"The Dixie Line" on page 52 of NC&StL #20000 in 1942 showing a two-panel
Murphy end that has a tall, blank extension above the Murphy ribs.

Tim O'Connor

At 8/13/2010 02:35 PM Friday, you wrote:
[...]

In 1947 the first new box cars delivered with yellow stripes
were NC&StL 19000-19499. (Builder photo of 19399 on page 14 of
the Carstens book). Whether other cars were painted earlier
with stripes, I don't know for sure.

Tim O'Connor

FRANK PEACOCK wrote:
... When did the N&C begin to use the large horizontal stripes on box cars? The earliest that I can document is Sept. 1946. I have a feeling that in my era not many of these would be around, which is okay since I like the other "To and From Dixieland" Stencils better. FHP (Frank H. Peacock)

In his 1932 ARA box car book, Ted Culotta says 1947. I'd have to say
your 1946 evidence is at least in the right ballpark.

Frank Greene
Memphis, TN

Ray Breyer

Not all XM32 rebuilds had Hutchins ends. There's a photo in
Carstens' "The Dixie Line" on page 52 of NC&StL #20000 in 1942
showing a two-panel Murphy end that has a tall, blank extension
above the Murphy ribs.
Tim O'Connor
The NC&StL's 1955 car diagram book says that the XM-32s came with both Hutchins and Murphy ends, but doesn't specify where in the number range the different types of ends fell. When in doubt, go with what APPEARS to be the most common, which is the Hutchins ends. All of the surviving cars (including the three in Santa Clara, Cuba) have these ends, and all but a VERY few photos of these cars show Hutchins ends.

Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL