ERIE single-sheathed box cars

Gene <bierglaeser@...>

Looking at the equipment diagram for ERIE box cars 71800-71999 (renumbered from 92500-92699 in 1936 & 1937) these cars seem to have started life in 1919 as USRA single-sheathed box cars which were upgraded with AB brakes in 1936 and 1937.

Apparently they were also given steel sides in place of the original wood sides. Can someone tell me when?

Would either Tichy 4028 or 4032 be the best jumping off point to model this car?

My stash of decals includes nothing for the ERIE. Couldn't find anything suitable on Microscale's site. Is the Champ HN-63 the closest decal or have I missed something somewhere?

Gene Green

Benjamin Hom

Gene Green asked:
"Looking at the equipment diagram for ERIE box cars 71800-71999 (renumbered from 92500-92699 in 1936 & 1937) these cars seem to have started life in 1919 as USRA single-sheathed box cars which were upgraded with AB brakes in 1936 and 1937.

Apparently they were also given steel sides in place of the original wood sides. Can someone tell me when?"

1936, and the cars received Climax radial roofs in the process. See Cullotta & Kline's The Postwar Freight Car Fleet, p 30-31 for more information plus a photo.

"Would either Tichy 4028 or 4032 be the best jumping off point to model this car?"

The rebuilds retained the original truss, so 4032 is out. If you want to go with Tichy 4028, you'll need to sand down the wood sheathing details between the truss members (which would be a chore), and replace the kit roof with a Climax radial roof. Another possible starting point is Westerfield 3365, the modernized N&W USRA SS boxcar with radial roof, but you'd have to check to see how close the N&W roof is to a Climax radial roof. It would be closer to fill in the scribed sheathing of the Westerfield kit than to sand down the details on the Tichy kit.

"My stash of decals includes nothing for the ERIE. Couldn't find anything suitable on Microscale's site. Is the Champ HN-63 the closest decal or have I missed something somewhere?"

Al Westerfield still sells his decals for the Erie USRA SS boxcars (kit #3314) separately. They're intended for the cars before their rebuilding in 1936, so you might have to come up with bits and pieces to letter your model accurately for your modeling period.

Ben Hom

Richard Hendrickson

On Aug 15, 2010, at 3:36 PM, Gene wrote:

Looking at the equipment diagram for ERIE box cars 71800-71999
(renumbered from 92500-92699 in 1936 & 1937) these cars seem to
have started life in 1919 as USRA single-sheathed box cars which
were upgraded with AB brakes in 1936 and 1937.

Apparently they were also given steel sides in place of the
original wood sides. Can someone tell me when?
At the same time that they were renumbered, they got steel side
sheathing in place of wood (but kept their original wood sheathed
doors) and Chicago-Climax radial steel roofs, as well as AB brakes.
I have a photo of one after it was renumbered into MW service.

Would either Tichy 4028 or 4032 be the best jumping off point to
model this car?
4032. It has the original USRA side framing with steel sheathing
(4028 has replacement steel sheathed sides).

My stash of decals includes nothing for the ERIE. Couldn't find
anything suitable on Microscale's site. Is the Champ HN-63 the
closest decal or have I missed something somewhere?
Champ HN-63 will give you the lettering needed, as well as the small
heralds.

Richard Hendrickson

al_brown03

I offer a small correction about the Tichy kits. Tichy 4032 is their kit for the Georgia Railroad rebuilds; between the trusses the sides are as smooth as, well, steel. The Tichy kit with board detail between the trusses is 4026, the USRA original; 4028 is the PMcK&Y rebuild, whose new sheathing is outside the trusses (it looks like an all-steel car, except for the inset side sill). Of the three, 4032 seems closest to the Erie cars. As Ben says, the roof isn't radial.

Speedwitch kit K127 models Georgia Railroad rebuilds with a *Murphy* radial roof; I don't know the difference between that and the Climax roof.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

Gene Green asked:

Al Brown wrote:
"I offer a small correction about the Tichy kits. Tichy 4032 is their kit for the Georgia Railroad rebuilds; between the trusses the sides are as smooth as, well, steel. The Tichy kit with board detail between the trusses is 4026, the USRA original; 4028 is the PMcK&Y rebuild, whose new sheathing is outside the trusses (it looks like an all-steel car, except for the inset side sill). Of the three, 4032 seems closest to the Erie cars. As Ben says, the roof isn't radial."

Al, thanks for the assist. I realized that I forgot about the GA rebuild while cooking dinner earlier and didn't get a chance to post a correction until now. The Tichy 4032 kit would be the most reasonable starting point from a Tichy kit.

"Speedwitch kit K127 models Georgia Railroad rebuilds with a *Murphy* radial roof; I don't know the difference between that and the Climax roof."
http://www.speedwitch.com/Models/k127.htm

It's hard to tell from the photo in Culotta & Kline, but there doesn't appear to be immediate corrugations between the carlines on the Erie car; however, I'd do some more digging on this as I seem to remember a Climax ad in the CBCs that showed the roof but I don't remember where I've seen it before. At any rate, Speedwitch K127 would be an even better starting point than the ones mentioned earlier.

Ben Hom

FRANK PEACOCK

Richard and STMFC, I checked my copy of the ORER (10/47, p.175, and note A p.176) and I think that it is telling us that only 75 of the cars kept their wood doors, the rest (122 cars) I guess had steel? There seem to be slight differences in the "width at eaves" dimension. FHP (Frank H. Peacock)

To: STMFC@...
From: rhendrickson@...
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 16:07:27 -0700
Subject: Re: [STMFC] ERIE single-sheathed box cars

[...]

rwitt_2000

FRANK PEACOCK wrote:

Richard and STMFC, I checked my copy of the ORER (10/47, p.175, and
note A p.176) and I think that it is telling us that only 75 of the cars
kept their wood doors, the rest (122 cars) I guess had steel? There
seem to be slight differences in the "width at eaves" dimension. FHP
(Frank H. Peacock)
The ERIE diagram for these cars [Numbers 71806-71966], at the Fallen
Flag site, dated April 22, 1937 lists 25 cars that received Youngstown
steel doors and Creco fixtures. The diagram list the EXW for these
boxcars as 9'-9" with wood doors and 10'-0" with steel doors.
Apparently, more cars were converted before October 1947.

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/el/frt/erie-frt-9-2e.gif

Bob Witt

steve_wintner

westerfield also offers Erie single sheathed decals....

have fun
steve wintner