Single vs. double deck stock cars

gn3397 <heninger@...>

--- In STMFC@..., "rockroll50401" <cepropst@...> wrote:

I made the mistake of telling my operating crew that hogs were shipped in double deck stock cars. I have more Westerfield Milwaukee single deck cars 3 to 1. The crews started giving me crap about having hogs in single deck cars. Finally I emailed Al and asked if he'd make me some double doors. He did. I replaced the doors and redecaled the cars.

The other day they showed me where "Blackstone" is coming out with HOn3 stocks for sheep loading with single doors.....

Clark Propst
Clark,
You might have been able to save yourself some effort. I have an old waybill for a stock shipment on the GN in the 1930s - I forget the year, and I am temporarily in Texas - where two single deck cars were supplied to ship a carload of sheep. Apparently, the tariff specified that if a double deck car was unavailable, two single deck cars were to be supplied at the same rate as a double deck car.

So you weren't so off base, but now you have some unique models to show for your efforts!

Sincerely
Bob Heninger
Iowa City, IA

Clark Propst

Bob, I think we talked about this before. But a little knowledge in the wrong hands is dangerous : ))

Clark Propst

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Bob Heninger wrote:
You might have been able to save yourself some effort. I have an old waybill for a stock shipment on the GN in the 1930s - I forget the year, and I am temporarily in Texas - where two single deck cars were supplied to ship a carload of sheep. Apparently, the tariff specified that if a double deck car was unavailable, two single deck cars were to be supplied at the same rate as a double deck car.
It needn't be in the tariff explicitly. This sort of thing was done for many car types all the time, and the railroad fully understood that they could only charge the shipper at the rate of the REQUESTED car, even if they supplied "more" in some sense, such as a 53-foot flat car for a load that would fit on a 40-foot car. The waybill was often annotated "railroad convenience" so it would be clear why the requested car was not supplied.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Bob Lucas

I have a register of actual Wartime interchange records for loads interchanged between the AC&Y and the Nickel Plate at Bluffton, Ohio (AU Tower). Live stock loads deliverd to the NKP show the following:

19 Double-deck cars with Hogs only (mostly AC&Y markings)
11 Single-deck cars with Hogs only (mostly PRR markings)
3 Double-deck cars with Lambs only
3 Double-deck cars with Lambs and Calves
2 Double-deck cars with Sheep and Calves
3 Single-deck cars with Cattle (all PRR markings)

All shipments were billed to Buffalo Jct on the NKP, presumably for furtherance to New York City packing houses.