What's on your work bench?

Charlie D modeling the Mopac http://mopac51.tripod <trduck@...>

Wondering what's on your work bench and would you recommend it to another modeler?

I'm converting the Tichy USRA rebuilt boxcar to an ACL rebuilt information from Steve Hoxie and decals from Jerry Glow. Not a difficult conversion remove the steel panel roof yesterday and will add a USRA metal seam version and the underframe needs a fish belly vs the USRA straight one. Not a simple redecal kit but an easy conversion.

Second model is the Rocket Express 50' boxcar - flat resin kit, easy to build. I am replacing the kits ladders with those from a Branchline model and rebuild the lower door tracks with Evergreen 2"x3"'s and 1"x3"'s. I also replaced the tack boards with 1"x8" Evergreen. Recommend it to someone familiar with resin kits.

Charlie Duckworth

Clark Propst

Charlie, At this moment there's a RTR IM ATSF WE box car. I bought the car as a second (1/2 price) at the National Train Show. Has a figure smudge, heck, all my models have figure smudges !

I was able to get it out of the box...whew...But when I was setting it on the rails a corner step fell off. I set the step on the roof to remind me to place it when I noticed the running board was black. Off to my work desk.

I replaced all the corner steps with A-Line and painted the running board Floquil Southern Brown, closest I had to the car color, which ain't Santa Fe Mineral Red.

Later I thought I'd better check the couplers and trucks. Looks like IM used Kadee #5s, but I standardized on scale head, whisker style. I had to destroy the coupler boxes to get them off - Well glued on. I knew the ATSF was partial to ACF A3 trucks, so I added a pr of Kato's. I wasn't sure about the trucks, so I emailed Richard. He say the trucks were ok, but IM had left off the class designation Bx-38. While I was putting those decals on I decided to reweigh the car to within my timeframe.

I have one side done. Need to do the other side soon because the car in on the switch list for tonight's op session. Guess I better get after it?
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

Benjamin Hom

Clark Propst wrote:
"I have one side done. Need to do the other side soon because the car in on the
switch list for tonight's op session."

Hey, if push comes to shove, all you need to finish is the side that faces the
aisle!  (Unless you have reversing loops; if that's the case, you'd better get
cracking.)

Ben Hom

Andy Sperandeo <asperandeo@...>

Hi Charlie,

Interestingly enough, given all the recent discussion, I'm working on a Westerfield kit for a MoP stock car, which happens to be the first resin stock car kit I've built. I've got the body, floor, and roof support structure complete, and I've just started on the underbody details. I'm very satisfied with the solidity of its structure, but I did find I had to narrow the floor by about .020" on each side to let the sides and ends fit properly.

I wouldn't say I'm an expert on sanding resin car sides, and I did destroy one door by over-enthusiastic sanding. Maybe next time - I've got several more Westerfield and Sunshine Santa Fe stock car kits! - I'll try pressing down on the side using a block with a rubber pad the way Jack Burgess suggested.

So long,

Andy

Andy Sperandeo
Executive Editor
Model Railroader magazine
asperandeo@...
262-796-8776, ext. 461
FAX 262-796-1142

asychis@...

Three F&C MoPac gondolas
Two ARM ART steel reefers (finishing touches)

Three non-freight car models

Jerry Michels

William Keene <wakeene@...>

Hi Charlie,

Right now on my workbench there are the following... a Tichy USRA boxcar, a Ribside Models 40-ft MILW boxcar, 3 CB&T ATSF Bx48s, and a Speedwitch MKT 40-ft SS boxcar. And on the rip-track lead there are three from IM... an ATSF WE boxcar (that needs work -- same as Ben's -- plus a coupler conversion to Sergents), an ATSF SK-R and a GA-7 (both for detailing). And looking a bit farther down the track there are the following... Westerfield PRR G-22 (BO w/ a bum coupler), and a Tichy 40-ft flat car that requires a coupler conversion (Kadees to Sergents). Then this bunch plus another completed half-dozen cars will get weathering.

Happy modeling to all.

Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

Clark Propst

Ben, the car is decaled and wash weathered. I'll give it a shot of flat finish and a little airbrush weathering after I'm finished eating..

BTW I wrote 'Figure' should be "Finger" and 'ACF' should be "ASF"

Who proof reads my emails? Nobody!
Clark Propst

Armand Premo

My work bench?Other than the usual clutter, a BCW (RCS) resin Rutland baggage,a BCW CV brass side coach and a Branchline NYC 6-3 Glen Echo Pullman.plus a slew of Bad Order freight Cars.Armand Premo

Ben, the car is decaled and wash weathered. I'll give it a shot of flat finish and a little airbrush weathering after I'm finished eating..

BTW I wrote 'Figure' should be "Finger" and 'ACF' should be "ASF"

Who proof reads my emails? Nobody!
Clark Propst

Steve Lucas <stevelucas3@...>

Charlie--

I had a lot of fun with this Tichy kit, converting it to a model of a CN 470000-series steel-rebuild box car. A new "fish-belly" centre sill was made of styrene sheet, and the ends were changed from a 5/5/5 arrangment to a 7/8, with a scale 4" spacer between the top and bottom panels.

I can see a lot of potential in using this kit for modelling many roads' cars...

Steve Lucas.

--- In STMFC@..., "Charlie D modeling the Mopac http://mopac51.tripod" <trduck@...> wrote:

I'm converting the Tichy USRA rebuilt boxcar to an ACL rebuilt information from Steve Hoxie and decals from Jerry Glow. Not a difficult conversion remove the steel panel roof yesterday and will add a USRA metal seam version and the underframe needs a fish belly vs the USRA straight one. Not a simple redecal kit but an easy conversion.

Charlie Duckworth

Bruce Smith

What's on my bench?

1) One each Wegman PFE R-30-12-18 and R-30-13-18, built, painted and lettered and waiting for Tony to get unburied enough to give me a couple of car numbers <G>. The R-30-12-18 has a Red Caboose underframe in place of the Wegman one.

3) A variety of loads for open cars, including the Sunshine steel plate load.

4) Some passenger car stuff and some locos in need of decoders.

Regards
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith
Auburn, AL

__
/ &#92;
| O--O &#92;0 0 0 0/ O--O | 0-0-0 0-0-0

Aley, Jeff A

A Southern Car & Foundry resin kit for a UP Postal car, awaiting stripping and repainting (because I screwed up the clear coat the first time - GRRR). Recommended? Yes.

A Prototype Rails "Shake-N-Take" kit for a UP S-40-6 stock car, awaiting stripping of the paint from the Accurail body. 90% alcohol didn't work, so I'll try ELO next. Recommended? Yes.

A laser-cut 12-panel roof for a UP 65,000 gallon steel water tank. I just received the Archer rivets for this project, so I need to design the form for the tank and the jig for assembling the legs so I can have both laser-cut.

A mock-up of the Arcade Building in Riverside, IL which needs a roof. I may re-do the whole thing w/ the laser, just for fun.

Regards,

-Jeff

Wondering what's on your work bench and would you recommend it to another modeler?

I'm converting the Tichy USRA rebuilt boxcar to an ACL rebuilt information from Steve Hoxie and decals from Jerry Glow. Not a difficult conversion remove the steel panel roof yesterday and will add a USRA metal seam version and the underframe needs a fish belly vs the USRA straight one. Not a simple redecal kit but an easy conversion.

Second model is the Rocket Express 50' boxcar - flat resin kit, easy to build. I am replacing the kits ladders with those from a Branchline model and rebuild the lower door tracks with Evergreen 2"x3"'s and 1"x3"'s. I also replaced the tack boards with 1"x8" Evergreen. Recommend it to someone familiar with resin kits.

Charlie Duckworth

mopacfirst

On my downstairs workbench (which my wife hates, since it's the kitchen table): two 42' RC flatcars converted to 13 stake, for MP, and one 45' spliced from two RC flatcars, also MP, which have the decking finished by the Tichy method but are not painted. Also, an F&C CGW PS-0 minus a couple of small details, but I received the decals last week. And, a Life-Like / Sunshine Wabash 50' auto car. Just off is another Life-Like with MDC fishbelly underframe, MP also, and an IC Centralia box from IM parts, riveted sides from the 37 modified XM and P-S ends and roof, and Accurail 5-panel Superior door. Plus two Sunshine flatcars with the decking not attached to the rest of the car. The Bx-11 is awaiting something else getting finished to make room for it.

On the upstairs workbench: five Branchline cars awaiting corner grabs and cut levers (the pin vises are downstairs). One day soon I'll repair the lamp up there so I can see all that stuff.

Ron Merrick

--- In STMFC@..., "Charlie D modeling the Mopac http://mopac51.tripod" <trduck@...> wrote:

Wondering what's on your work bench and would you recommend it to another modeler?

Steve SANDIFER

Scenery making stuff, and it is a MESS!
______________
J. Stephen (Steve) Sandifer
mailto:steve.sandifer@...

Wondering what's on your work bench and would you recommend it to another modeler?

I'm converting the Tichy USRA rebuilt boxcar to an ACL rebuilt information from Steve Hoxie and decals from Jerry Glow. Not a difficult conversion remove the steel panel roof yesterday and will add a USRA metal seam version and the underframe needs a fish belly vs the USRA straight one. Not a simple redecal kit but an easy conversion.

Second model is the Rocket Express 50' boxcar - flat resin kit, easy to build. I am replacing the kits ladders with those from a Branchline model and rebuild the lower door tracks with Evergreen 2"x3"'s and 1"x3"'s. I also replaced the tack boards with 1"x8" Evergreen. Recommend it to someone familiar with resin kits.

Charlie Duckworth

Benjamin Hom

Charlie Duckworth asked:
"Wondering what's on your work bench and would you recommend it to another
modeler?"

Group of six PRR Walthers/Train-Miniature X29 "Tan Dot" upgrades, various eras
and paint schemes, most going to clubs and private owners, but keeping a couple
in various stages of completion for PM meet display.

Ben Hom

Steve Lucas <stevelucas3@...>

An HO scale model of a fuel dealer's office to park some tank cars next to. I'm using 1/8" Plexiglas for the wall substrate, on which styrene, resin, and paper overlays will model angelstone, concrete block, rusticated concrete block, and insulbrick. But STMFC related (sort of), lying near the workbench--

--a started SC&F Spencer Kellogg tank car kit. Perhaps I'll find another firm like GATX to decorate this six-course car for? Nice kit, castings have little or no flash. I recommend this car to the experienced resin modeller. Couplers are a little tricky to mount.

--NorWest CPR 2200-series coach kit to finish building for my own model road. Had to replace the kit floor with a scratched one of 1/16" acrylic. Still lots of work to see this to completion. Tough kit to build right.

--sides, floors, and ends for a pair of scratchbuilt CN cinder cars (for my own road), which were converted from 36' "Fowlers".

But first there's part of a central vac system to move and re-work, and somewhere I'll find time to finish the work on my Digitrax system, solder some more leads, clean the track it controls, and program a loco decoder or two?

I'll be SO glad when the kids are back in school--I may find some time for all this!

Steve Lucas.

--- In STMFC@..., "Charlie D modeling the Mopac http://mopac51.tripod" <trduck@...> wrote:

Wondering what's on your work bench and would you recommend it to another modeler?

Charlie Duckworth

mike brock <brockm@...>

Hmmm. Everyone seems to be quite busy. I kept waiting to see if anyone...and no, it looks like I may be the only one that is working on the WrightTRAK B&O M-53 box car. It seems to be going OK...

Mike Brock

Dennis Williams

42 resin kits. All at the 3/4 mark.   They shoukd be done in 3 weeks.   Dennis

Wondering what's on your work bench and would you recommend it to another modeler?

I'm converting the Tichy USRA rebuilt boxcar to an ACL rebuilt information from Steve Hoxie and decals from Jerry Glow. Not a difficult conversion remove the steel panel roof yesterday and will add a USRA metal seam version and the underframe needs a fish belly vs the USRA straight one. Not a simple redecal kit but an easy conversion.

Second model is the Rocket Express 50' boxcar - flat resin kit, easy to build. I am replacing the kits ladders with those from a Branchline model and rebuild the lower door tracks with Evergreen 2"x3"'s and 1"x3"'s. I also replaced the tack boards with 1"x8" Evergreen. Recommend it to someone familiar with resin kits.

Charlie Duckworth

Dennis Williams

I am working on one in S-scale.   Dennis

Hmmm. Everyone seems to be quite busy. I kept waiting to see if anyone...and
no, it looks like I may be the only one that is working on the WrightTRAK
B&O M-53 box car. It seems to be going OK...

Mike Brock

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

The Shake 'n' Take 40-ft. gondola kitbash; an IMWX Southern box car; four SP 12,500-gallon tank cars well along to being corrected from Athearn cars and lettered; and a brass Overland ICC 105 tank car painted and awaiting decals.
There are also several cars partway through the weathering process, which I proceed with when in the mood, but those aren't really workbench projects to me.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Bill Welch

As others are leveling I will too. I have four Westerfield R7 FGE reefers w/3 different roofs and two styles of ladders; 2 FGE and one WFE truss rod reefers; a very worked over and modified Ribside MILW 40-ft. auto car; two L&N USRA 40-ft gons, (IM)-one original and one copy; one NC&StL USRA 2-bay hopper (Tichy); 2 Clinchfield F-5's painted & decaled awaiting application of glazing and other details; 2 CRR GP-7's as above; SRR F-3 high fans as above; NC&StL F-3 chicken wire as above; 2 NC&StL cabooses.

I have promised myself not to start anymore kits until I clear this backlog. Charles ask for recommendations which is hard but I will say I have not encountered any assembly or fit problems with most of these.

The exception are the R7's. The 2 Hutchins roofs on the Westerfield R7's required shaving off the ribs on each panel and sanding to get a clean look. On one of the two early roof versions, I had to split the roof and add fill material in the center (hidden by the running boards, which I also scratch built) to achieve the proper width and overhang. I am also substituting Red Caboose ladders for Al's and I am using some brass castings I scored made for Terry Wegman's 30-18 kit for the sill steps. The underframes required much fiddling to sit at the proper depth in the body, using a Dremel to remove material around the perimeter of the back side to achieve the proper look. There are also some sort of castings under the doors that I duplicated by cutting apart some Grandt Line reefer hinges and attaching the narrow part. I am dreading painting these as the are some pesky castings, beautifully rendered, along the bottom sill that are going to make masking very tedious. Having said all of this, I am so happy to have models of this prototype. There are so many little detail differences that all four are different. A feast for fiddlers.

I am also working on master patterns for the Virginian's little Bx-10 SS boxcar, building up the side pattern board by board.

Bill Welch