From: "railsnw1" <railsnw@...>
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Friday, August 27, 2010 12:09:18 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Michigan Car ID Needed

Picked up a snap shot photo of a girl hanging on the side of a wood double sheathed boxcar. The reason I bought it was of the unusual handbrake. On the car side is a shield with the slogan "The Line Through Michigan's Peach Orchards"

Anyone know what railroad this is? I'll try to scan the photo this evening.

Thanks,

Richard Wilkens

railsnw1 <railsnw@...>

So this slogan was on GTW cars?

Richard Wilkens

--- In STMFC@..., water.kresse@... wrote:

Romeo, Michigan, in the "thumb" of the Lower Michigan is the current official Michigan Peach Festival Center.  The GTW use to cut right through the orchards (southeast  corner) of the area surrounding the village.  It was the Pontiac to Rochester to Richmond line.  Ford bought 1st Model A engine blocks from a local foundry in the village.  They always have an annual Peach Fest Queen (at least in "modern" days).

Al Kresse

Picked up a snap shot photo of a girl hanging on the side of a wood double sheathed boxcar. The reason I bought it was of the unusual handbrake. On the car side is a shield with the slogan "The Line Through Michigan's Peach Orchards"

Anyone know what railroad this is? I'll try to scan the photo this evening.

Thanks,

Richard Wilkens

water.kresse@...

Rich,

I never said that.  All I know is 1) Romeo is currently the Peach Capital of Michigan and 2) the GTW was the last RR to run thru town.  GTW shipped engine blocks out in the early 1900s.  GTW could "Y" south from Romeo to Detroit into the Eastern Market area.  You need to bounce your question off a GTW "expert".  I've been here for 23 years . . . . just long enough to see a derailment and subsequent abandonment of the line to then become a walking/biking trail.  The passenger stn , coal storage areas, and granaries were already long gone before I got here.

Al Kresse

in beautiful Romeo, Michigan

[...]

The GTW Historical Society is based out of Durand, Michigan.  They only list a postal contact: GTWHS, PO Box 183682, Shelby Township, MI  48317 (Sheby Township is just south of Romeo).  However, there is a GTWHS Yahoo List site.  It is only a lead, not an answer.

Al Kresse

soolinehistory <destorzek@...>

--- In STMFC@..., "railsnw1" <railsnw@...> wrote:

So this slogan was on GTW cars?

Richard Wilkens
Sounds like something the Detroit & Mackinac would do, somewhere between the turtle herald and Mackinac Mac. :-)

Dennis

William Jensen-Frisk

I suspect it is an interurban electric trailer. Brake wheels and low platforms like that were common to keep away from the wire above when setting brakes on electric interurbans, which usually did not interchange with steam railroads. I have found mention of a combined interurban and Graham & Morton Steamship peach routing to Chicago from about 1906 to 1928. "Peach Belt Way" was a slogan used at one time for the Dowagiac branch of the Benton Harbor- St Joe electric Railway. Coupler does not show but electric lines had much longer shanks to allow for tighter turns in city streets. Bill Frisk

rwitt_2000

William Frisk wrote:

I suspect it is an interurban electric trailer. Brake wheels and
low platforms like that were common to keep away from the wire above
when setting brakes on electric interurbans, which usually did not
interchange with steam railroads. I have found mention of a combined
interurban and Graham & Morton Steamship peach routing to Chicago from
about 1906 to 1928. "Peach Belt Way" was a slogan used at one time for
the Dowagiac branch of the Benton Harbor- St Joe electric Railway.
Coupler does not show but electric lines had much longer shanks to allow
for tighter turns in city streets. Bill Frisk
Based upon some photos I have seen of Indiana Railroad "box cars", I
agree that the car most likely belong to an interurban line.

I guess further discussion will need to move to another list. :-).

Bob Witt