Norwest Scale Models

Does anyone know the status of this company?

Thanks,
Rich Christie

Jim Hayes

Norwest shut down a couple of years ago.

Jim Hayes
Portland Oregon
www.sunshinekits.com

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 7:05 PM, Rich C <rhcdmc@...> wrote:

Does anyone know the status of this company?

Thanks,
Rich Christie

Steve Lucas <stevelucas3@...>

The kits were offered by an architectural and movie (one of their model railway sets was used in "Night at the Museum") model-building firm, Pro Modelbuilders of Vancouver, BC. I bought some of their last products last year.

Unless you want a Great Northern wood caboose, they've nothing else on offer now.

Steve Lucas.

--- In STMFC@..., Rich C <rhcdmc@...> wrote:

Does anyone know the status of this company?

Thanks,
Rich Christie

Doug Rhodes

It's mostly outside the scope of this list (except for the head end cars) but some Norwest products
are expected to live on in new rendition. This from the website of the BGR Group
http://home.cogeco.ca/~bgrgroup/

"Discussions with Brian Pate of Norwest Kits concluded with The BGR Group having the opportunity to
make use of the NorWest research and production materials to re-develop their line of CPR
semi-lightweight passenger cars. "

I haven't heard a time line for when the refreshed kits would be available.

Doug Rhodes

--- In STMFC@..., Rich C <rhcdmc@...> wrote:

> Does anyone know the status of this company?
>
> Thanks,
> Rich Christie

Pierre <pierre.oliver@...>

Knowing BGR's area of interests I would doubt that we'll see any of the former Nor-West freight cars and cabooses.
Pity.
Pierre Oliver

--- In STMFC@..., Rich C <rhcdmc@> wrote:

> Does anyone know the status of this company?
>
> Thanks,
> Rich Christie

Jim Hayes

There is a slim possibility of the NP reefer kit being adopted by
Speedwitch.

Jim Hayes
Portland Oregon
www.sunshinekits.com

--- In STMFC@... <STMFC%40yahoogroups.com>, "Doug Rhodes"

--- In STMFC@... <STMFC%40yahoogroups.com>, Rich C <rhcdmc@>
wrote:

Does anyone know the status of this company?

Thanks,
Rich Christie

11:34:00

Jon Miller <atsf@...>

On 9/2/2010 11:59 AM, Jim Hayes wrote:
There is a slim possibility of the NP reefer kit being adopted by
Speedwitch.

Jim Hayes
Portland Oregon
www.sunshinekits.com

I have (built) one of the CP? /NYC? reefers* that had a very
colorful color scheme for my era. The problem is no decals and the only
picture is a B&W with guesses as to the color. It would be good if Ted
got this kit also.

* Don't have all the data with me at the moment.

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941

Jim Hayes

Decals for most Norwest kits are available from Al Ferguson at Black Cat,
www.greatdecals.com/BlackCat.htm

Jim Hayes
Portland Oregon
www.sunshinekits.com

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 12:22 PM, Jon Miller <atsf@...> wrote:

On 9/2/2010 11:59 AM, Jim Hayes wrote:
There is a slim possibility of the NP reefer kit being adopted by
Speedwitch.

Jim Hayes
Portland Oregon
www.sunshinekits.com
I have (built) one of the CP? /NYC? reefers* that had a very
colorful color scheme for my era. The problem is no decals and the only
picture is a B&W with guesses as to the color. It would be good if Ted
got this kit also.

* Don't have all the data with me at the moment.

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

David Sieber

Jon,
You perhaps got one of the NorWest "Lite Series" kits with only the basic resin castings, but no decals, brake gear, wire, grabirons, or other common detail parts. NorWest also offered "Premium" kits complete with Black Cat decals, all detail parts, and trucks (and sometimes, reportedly, even couplers).
NorWest's wood-sheathed freight reefer kits were: #107(P,L) for the GTW 206900 series, #108 for the CN 207000 series, #109 for the CP 284414-288477 series and #111 for the CP 288500-289399 series, plus #113 for the NP 90000 series. They also did kits #105/6 for a CP 40ft straight-sill flat car (#106 was for the 'stone car' variation with built-up wood gondola sides/ends), #116 for a CP rebuilt 36ft double-sheathed boxcar, and the kit I'd really like Speedwitch Media to pick up, #117 for the 10,000gal 3-radial-course tank cars built by CC&F in the early 1920s for CN, Imperial Oil (ESSO of Canada), etc.
Just a little additional info,
Dave Sieber, Reno NV

--- In STMFC@..., Jon Miller <atsf@...> wrote:
"I have (built) one of the CP? /NYC? reefers that had a very colorful color scheme for my era. The problem is no decals and the only picture is a B&W with guesses as to the color. It would be good if Ted got this kit also."

Bill Welch

I used the Microscale decals for my two NP reefers. One set did both cars. Photos are on the Steam Era Freight Car website.

One problem with the castings I received was the one of the door hinges was "buggered" up. It looked like this was inherent in the masters. The hinges did not match anything I recognized, so I removed all of them and replaced them with Grandt Line parts.

Bill Welch

On 9/2/2010 1:51 PM, ealabhan0 wrote:
Jon,
You perhaps got one of the NorWest "Lite Series" kits with only the basic resin castings, but no decals, brake gear, wire, grabirons, or other common detail parts. NorWest also offered "Premium" kits complete with Black Cat decals, all detail parts, and trucks (and sometimes, reportedly, even couplers).
Black Cat is well aware of the decal required for this particular
scheme for this car. Other decals are available but I wanted the NYC
scheme.
I believe I'm probably the only one who wants this decal and it
would be at least tri-color :-) !

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941

Steve Lucas <stevelucas3@...>

Dave--

I have the Norwest CPR 2200-series coach and CPR 3600-series mail and express car. Also the CN wood reefer, and two of the CN tank cars.

These kits are neither for the faint of heart, nor the novice resin builder. They are a lot of work to assemble properly. Everything that you've been warned about with respect to resin kits applies with NorWest kits. The coach needed a new floor of acrylic and styrene strip--though maybe I'm a bit too picky and also am building an earlier version of this car than modelled by the kit.

The two that I've the most experience building are the tank cars. I've built/resin-bashed one into an Imperial Oil car, and am building the other as a McColl-Frontenac (Texaco Canada) car. I am so glad that I bought these as "Lite" kits. The material supplied with the Premium kits has a few issues, such as the wrong diameter wire for the handrails. And the tank car underframe is a real b*&^% to clean up!! By rights, it ought to have been made as a multi-part assembly like Tichy's tank car frame, but was instead made as a one-piece casting. So many parts have green rubber mould bits stuck to the casting because of the severe undercuts on the part.

It's obvious that the masters were of superb quality, but NorWest tried to do too much as single assemblies, IMHO. Another gent that I know on this list can expand on NorWest kit issues. Nice stuff, but a lot of work to build.

I'd LOVE to see the tank car come out again. I'd be inclined to try making masters for this car (the G/A drawings are in Gregg's Train Shed Cyclopedia #12) if I didn't have so many other irons in the fire right now...but never say never!!

Steve Lucas.

--- In STMFC@..., "ealabhan0" <ealabhan0@...> wrote:

[...]

I tihnk that I'm the "other gentleman" that Steve alludes to.
When Brian Pate, who started Nor-West was doing the casting him self, the end results were some of the finest resin casting at the time. For a variety of reasons Brian had Pro-Mosdel Builders take over casting and things were never the same.
The CC&F tankcar kit had the dubious honour of being one of a short list of kits that I will not accept commision to build. Far too much time was required to clean the underframe casting and still end up with an unsatisfactory result. It would have been quicker to scratch biuild a new underframe. The tank was delight full, on the other hand.
I have been told that it is very likely that we will see CC&F tankcars again before too long. That's all I can say at this point.
"Patience young Jedi" :-)
Pierre Oliver

--- In STMFC@..., "Steve Lucas" <stevelucas3@...> wrote:

[...]

The NP reefer was the only kit in this line that I built and I built two at the same time. Each was detailed slightly differently, mainly the ladders, left end grabs, and gussets on the bottom corners on each side. As I said the major issue was the mushed, mangled hinge problem. A minor irritant was that Brian cast in letters marking where some things went or something along those lines which had to be removed and the sheathing re-scribed. Very silly to do this IMO. Casting them on that is.

The edges of the roof had some issues as I recall. If I were to do a third one, I would kitbash it to have the version with the truss rods on either side of the center sill.

In the end they built into very sharp looking models, and on this kit anyway, I did not feel any advance skills were required. As with any modeling however, some "obsessive compulsive disorder" does help.

Bill Welch

Steve Lucas <stevelucas3@...>

Pierre--

You KNOW that you are "the other gent" on this list. :)

NorWest had an extensive line of Canadian and some US cars, but I get the distinct impression that all kits of theirs were a bit of work to build. As usual with resin kits, they modelled stuff not otherwise available.

It's nice to read of the CC&F tank cars possibly coming back. I could use three or more. Now if they were produced in RTR or undec...just dreaming again. (sigh)

Steve Lucas.