From: ford.donald77 <ford.donald77@yahoo.com>
Subject: [STMFC] Lehigh Valley 41000 series hopper
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thursday, September 2, 2010, 11:27 AM

Does anyone know if the train air line runs along the side or down the center sill of the 41000 quad hoppers. My two photos are of the other side, it is not shown in Chuck Yungkurth drawing or is it shown in the modleing article in the Lehigh Vally modeling group. I have a photo of the rebuilt twin hoppers and it is run alone the side. Would like to get this car off the work bench and painted.
Thanks in advance
Don Ford
Kanab UT

al_brown03

Yungkurth, "Steam Era of Lehigh Valley", p 58, shows the left sides of LV 41254 (composite quad) and 41185 (steel-sided quad); the train pipe isn't visible in either.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Rich C <rhcdmc@...> wrote:

Don, Thats  a good question. I can not assume it being in either location. They may have put it on the side for the twin rebuild only.

Maybe Ben Hom may know, he sent me info on the twin awhile back.

Rich Christie

Does anyone know if the train air line runs along the side or down the center sill of the 41000 quad hoppers. My two photos are of the other side, it is not shown in Chuck Yungkurth drawing or is it shown in the modleing article in the Lehigh Vally modeling group. I have a photo of the rebuilt twin hoppers and it is run alone the side. Would like to get this car off the work bench and painted.
Thanks in advance
Don Ford
Kanab UT

Donald Ford <ford.donald77@...>

Al
Thanks I thought that was it becaquse of the era that they were built the air
line in the center sill was common practice.  They probley started to put the
line on the outside when labor costes beame higher and it was more effecient to
do it that way. OK another car of the workbench. Used an ole Hobbie Line car put
new hopper doors, wire grabs , etc. looks good.
Thanks
Don Ford
Kanab UT

________________________________

Does anyone know if the train air line runs along the side or down the center
sill of the 41000 quad hoppers. My two photos are of the other side, it is not
shown in Chuck Yungkurth drawing or is it shown in the modleing article in the
Lehigh Vally modeling group. I have a photo of the rebuilt twin hoppers and it
is run alone the side. Would like to get this car off the work bench and
painted.
Thanks in advance
Don Ford
Kanab UT

Rich C

That helps me out too, Al & Don. I too have one underway. As a matter of fact, 1 quad, 1 twin conversion and 1 covered hopper conversion. Mine are Lionel, so putty and sanding will be involved to fill the trademark Lionel stamping into the plastic!

Don, can't wait to see your pics of it, will bring inspiration to me.

Rich Christie

Does anyone know if the train air line runs along the side or down the center
sill of the 41000 quad hoppers. My two photos are of the other side, it is not
shown in Chuck Yungkurth drawing or is it shown in the modleing article in the
Lehigh Vally modeling group. I have a photo of the rebuilt twin hoppers and it
is run alone the side. Would like to get this car off the work bench and
painted.
Thanks in advance
Don Ford
Kanab UT

Didn't these cars require "dimples" on the underside to
clear the wheels/truck-swing? Maybe the train line was run
down the center line of the car to avoid interference?

Tim O'Connor

Yungkurth, "Steam Era of Lehigh Valley", p 58, shows the left sides
of LV 41254 (composite quad) and 41185 (steel-sided quad); the train
pipe isn't visible in either.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

Donald Ford <ford.donald77@...>

Tim
Yes they had dimples or depresions in the slope heets, and the comsosite cars
had upside down pans fastened the the composie slope sheets if I read Chuck Y's
drawings rite.  Both the photos in the RMC August 1997 article and I am guessing
that he used the same photos in his book on the Leheigh Valley, same numbers,
are of the side that would not have had the train air line using standard
pratice.  Rich Christe said that his info on the twin hoppers these cars were
rebuilt into had the outside train air line.  I also have a photo of one of
these cars its 3/4 end view but does shown the air line.  They cut the frame
when the cars were rebuilt and could have rerouted it at that time.  I am going
to go with train air line down the center sill.  Well my car will be run on a
modular layout so I will just keep the left side out and the air line cop
shouldn't be albe to see it.
Thanks
Don Ford
Kanab UT

________________________________
Didn't these cars require "dimples" on the underside to
clear the wheels/truck-swing? Maybe the train line was run
down the center line of the car to avoid interference?

Tim O'Connor

Yungkurth, "Steam Era of Lehigh Valley", p 58, shows the left sides
of LV 41254 (composite quad) and 41185 (steel-sided quad); the train
pipe isn't visible in either.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi Donald, Tim, Al,

Al wrote:

Yungkurth, "Steam Era of Lehigh Valley", p 58, shows the left sides
of LV 41254 (composite quad) and 41185 (steel-sided quad); the train
pipe isn't visible in either.
However, on page 63 of the same book there appears to be one of the referenced composite cars (hard to know for certain, since it is
only a partial view with no road number visible) clearly showing an outside train pipe.

Can someone confirm that this car on page 63 is the same hopper car class as is under discussion?

- Claus at Hell Gate Models

Didn't these cars require "dimples" on the underside to
clear the wheels/truck-swing? Maybe the train line was run
down the center line of the car to avoid interference?

Tim O'Connor

Yungkurth, "Steam Era of Lehigh Valley", p 58, shows the left sides
of LV 41254 (composite quad) and 41185 (steel-sided quad); the train
pipe isn't visible in either.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

drgwrail

Been so ong since I did the LV Steam book as well as the drawings that were in
RMC that my recollection is foggy!

Don't know the answer to the air line question.

I made the drawings in RMC from original LV vellums. No longer have these but
loaned them to ARHS and they copied all of the vellums I had. Unfortunately, as
you probably know, the air brake piping and components are on a separate drawing
than the general erection one.

The LV erection drawing clearly show dimples pressed into the slope sheets to
provide clearance for the wheel treads.

Chuck Yungkurth
Boulder CO

________________________________

Didn't these cars require "dimples" on the underside to
clear the wheels/truck-swing? Maybe the train line was run
down the center line of the car to avoid interference?

Tim O'Connor

Yungkurth, "Steam Era of Lehigh Valley", p 58, shows the left sides
of LV 41254 (composite quad) and 41185 (steel-sided quad); the train
pipe isn't visible in either.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

LOUIS WHITELEY <octoraro1@...>

Regarding the rebuilt twins (42000 - 42848), a 1947 photo of LV 42521 in "The Postwar Freight Car Fleet" by Kline and Culotta shows the right side without the train line.  An earlier photo of 42261 clearly shows the train line along the right side.
Has any information surfaced that could shed new light on this thread from 2010?

Lou Whiteley
Lawrenceville, NJ

On Saturday, September 4, 2010 8:49 PM, Charles R Yungkurth wrote:

Been so ong since I did the LV Steam book as well as the drawings that were in
RMC that my recollection is foggy!

Don't know the answer to the air line question.

I made the drawings in RMC from original LV vellums. No longer have these but
loaned them to ARHS and they copied all of the vellums I had. Unfortunately, as
you probably know, the air brake piping and components are on a separate drawing
than the general erection one.

The LV erection drawing clearly show dimples pressed into the slope sheets to
provide clearance for the wheel treads.

Chuck Yungkurth
Boulder CO

________________________________
>Yungkurth, "Steam Era of Lehigh Valley", p 58, shows the left sides
>of LV 41254 (composite quad) and 41185 (steel-sided quad); the train
>pipe isn't visible in either.

However, on page 63 of the same book there appears to be one of the referenced
composite cars (hard to know for certain, since it is
only a partial view with no road number visible) clearly showing an outside
train pipe.

Can someone confirm that this car on page 63 is the same hopper car class as is
under discussion?

- Claus at Hell Gate Models

Didn't these cars require "dimples" on the underside to
clear the wheels/truck-swing? Maybe the train line was run
down the center line of the car to avoid interference?

Tim O'Connor

>Yungkurth, "Steam Era of Lehigh Valley", p 58, shows the left sides
>of LV 41254 (composite quad) and 41185 (steel-sided quad); the train
>pipe isn't visible in either.
>
>Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

John Evans

If the question about the air line is in reference to the rebuilt cars (42000 series) the attached photo of 42060 posted by Ray Stillwell on the Railfan.net LV forum might help.

John Evans
Easton, PA

On Saturday, September 4, 2010 8:49 PM, Charles R Yungkurth <drgwrail@yahoo.com> wrote:

[...]

Benjamin Hom

John Evans wrote:
"If the question about the air line is in reference to the rebuilt cars (42000 series) the attached photo of 42060 posted by Ray Stillwell on the Railfan.net LV forum might help."

Can you post a link to the photo or upload the photo to the group website?  The list is set to strip attachments.

Ben Hom

LOUIS WHITELEY <octoraro1@...>

The link to the photo of 42060 is at:

Very interesting in that this one was rebuilt with seven side stakes instead of six as shown in the photos of the other two examples.  This one does show the train line along the side sill.

Thank you for the answers to my query and the leads to another photo.

Lou Whiteley

On Thursday, March 13, 2014 6:49 AM, Benjamin Hom wrote:

John Evans wrote:
"If the question about the air line is in reference to the rebuilt cars (42000 series) the attached photo of 42060 posted by Ray Stillwell on the Railfan.net LV forum might help."

Can you post a link to the photo or upload the photo to the group website?  The list is set to strip attachments.

Ben Hom

Eric Neubauer <eaneubauer@...>

Doesn't the side design differ from the car pictured in the 1930s article? If so, does this car represent a rebuilt rebuild with new sides?

Eric

John Evans wrote:
"If the question about the air line is in reference to the rebuilt cars (42000 series) the attached photo of 42060 posted by Ray Stillwell on the Railfan.net LV forum might help."

Can you post a link to the photo or upload the photo to the group website?  The list is set to strip attachments.

Ben Hom

John Evans

There's one thing you can say about the Lehigh Valley - they keep you guessing when it comes to their rebuilds.  Just start researching the cars they rebuilt into covered hoppers if you don't believe it.