Discontinuance of Kadee #58 Semi-Scale Couplers

tmolsen@...

I received an email from a friend of mine in Ft. Wayne last evening regarding Kadee discontinuing the Kadee #58 Semi-Scale couplers. This was news to me. Is this because of going to the newer "whisker" version?

Tom Olsen
7 Boundary Road, West Branch
Newark, Delaware, 19711-7479
(302) 738-4292
tmolsen@udel.edu

SamClarke

Hello Group,

Kadee is not discontinuing the #58 coupler, like the good old #5 coupler in our "standard head" coupler line, it's the back bone of our "scale head" coupler line. We are discontinuing a number of other couplers but we are replacing them with new versions using the whisker centering spring. The #78 assembled coupler in a narrow box will be replaced by a #178 (using the whisker #158) in the same box but with a center hole for a #2 (2-56) screw. The older #118 is being fazed out (get a good deal on these now) for a newer #118 with a whisker spring. The entire 40 series couplers will "eventually" be replaced by the whisker spring 140 series, the #46 and #47 have already been sold out and replaced with the #146 and #147 whisker couplers. The couplers in our logging car kits will soon have a whisker coupler. Others will be forthcoming so keep an eye out or better yet just watch our web sight.
We also have some new draft gear boxes for the whisker couplers with snap on lids. The #242 is the box that comes with our standard package of whisker couplers and our #252 is a 30 series box modified for the whisker couplers, and we just released the #262 box that's a bit narrower and shallower than a standard box.

Sam Clarke
Kadee Quality Products

A quick check of Kadee's website shows the #118 being discontinued, but no mention of the #58's demise. Are you sure of your friends numbers?

regards,

Andy Miller