BLI NYC all-steel box cars - photos posted

pwkrueger <kruegerp@...>

BLI put eight photos of one of these cars on their web site this week. Here is a link to the first photo in the gallery:
http://www.broadway-limited.com/images/view.aspx?productId=2332

Paul Krueger
Seattle, WA

Bill Welch

What is the strange growth on the latitudinal running board in the last photo?

Bill Welch

--- In STMFC@..., "pwkrueger" <kruegerp@...> wrote:

BLI put eight photos of one of these cars on their web site this week. Here is a link to the first photo in the gallery:
http://www.broadway-limited.com/images/view.aspx?productId=2332

Paul Krueger
Seattle, WA

Eric Hansmann

Bill,

I believe it is often called "detail", but I don't think I've seen anything quite like it.

The running board lateral looks like it is defying gravity. In this proto image, it seems the lateral is supported closer to the edge of the roof.
http://www.canadasouthern.com/caso/images/p&e-3609.jpg

In BLI images 3 & 4, it seems the door is slightly smaller than the opening.

Are these on hobby shop shelves?

Eric

Eric Hansmann
Chagrin Falls, Ohio
Modeling the Railroads of Newburgh, Ohio, circa 1926:
http://designbuildop.hansmanns.org/

--- In STMFC@..., "lnbill" <fgexbill@...> wrote:

What is the strange growth on the latitudinal running board in the last photo?

Bill Welch

--- In STMFC@..., "pwkrueger" <kruegerp@> wrote:

BLI put eight photos of one of these cars on their web site this week. Here is a link to the first photo in the gallery:
http://www.broadway-limited.com/images/view.aspx?productId=2332

Paul Krueger
Seattle, WA

Bill Welch

I would hope no grain will be loaded in these as there is daylight around the doors perimeter making papering difficult. Also whoever opened the door was very strong as they ripped the body part of the locking hardware right off the side of the car.

The only notable positive thing I see is the little triangular stencil, unavailable in any decal set.

This is great example of why I prefer undecorated models, as there is some much clunky material to remove and replace and I am just colour blind enough that matching paint for me is a lost cause.

There goes the triangular stencil I guess.

I hope BLI is running these past someone before they go into production!

Maybe the trucks are okay.

Bill Welch

--- In STMFC@..., "Eric" <eric@...> wrote:

[...]

Tim O'Connor

Nevertheless, I have to say I've never seen a lateral supported
that way before! It looks from the side like an upside-down grab
iron underneath the lateral.

Has anyone compared these cars to Westerfield's? From these BLI
photos I can't say I'm inclined to buy plastic over resin.

Tim O'Connor

Bill,

I believe it is often called "detail", but I don't think I've seen anything quite like it.

The running board lateral looks like it is defying gravity. In this proto image, it seems the lateral is supported closer to the edge of the roof.
http://www.canadasouthern.com/caso/images/p&e-3609.jpg

In BLI images 3 & 4, it seems the door is slightly smaller than the opening.

Are these on hobby shop shelves?

Eric

Tim O'Connor

Bill, I haven't run downstairs to check, but I think that the
NYC triangular stencil can be found on some of Mark Vaughan's
decal sets and also in some CDS dry transfers.

Tim O'Connor

I would hope no grain will be loaded in these as there is daylight around the doors perimeter making papering difficult. Also whoever opened the door was very strong as they ripped the body part of the locking hardware right off the side of the car.

The only notable positive thing I see is the little triangular stencil, unavailable in any decal set.

This is great example of why I prefer undecorated models, as there is some much clunky material to remove and replace and I am just colour blind enough that matching paint for me is a lost cause.

There goes the triangular stencil I guess.

I hope BLI is running these past someone before they go into production!

Maybe the trucks are okay.

Bill Welch

Frederick Freitas <prrinvt@...>

Bill,

Pray you never have to change out the trucks. They appear to be the same type used on the stock cars, and drove the Pennsy fans bonkers mounting new ones.

Fred Freitas

[...]

jerryglow2

It's on my set for the Tichy P&LE/PMcK&Y rebuild also.
http://home.comcast.net/~jerryglow/samples/PLE.jpg

Jerry Glow
http://home.comcast.net/~jerryglow/decals/

[...]

Must be factory applied rust & mold.

Fred Freitas

What is the strange growth on the latitudinal running board in the last photo?

Bill Welch

--- In STMFC@..., "pwkrueger" <kruegerp@...> wrote:

BLI put eight photos of one of these cars on their web site this week. Here is a link to the first photo in the gallery:
http://www.broadway-limited.com/images/view.aspx?productId=2332

Paul Krueger
Seattle, WA

Fritz Milhaupt

--- In STMFC@..., "pwkrueger" <kruegerp@...> wrote:

BLI put eight photos of one of these cars on their web site this
week. Here is a link to the first photo in the gallery:
http://www.broadway-limited.com/images/view.aspx?productId=2332
I'm not seeing anything supporting the lower door track.

Let's see. So far, I'd have to lower the walkway, correct the lateral walkway supports and grabs, free half the door latching hardware from the door, and install gussets to support the lower door track.

Then, there's the door fit. Is the door opening too large, or the door too small? Each suggests a different remedy, with the first being considerably more effort than the second.

I really hope that they aren't planning to ship the cars like that.
When these were announced, I was optimistic they'd save me time over the Westerfield kits, plus be a bit more durable for operations. But unless they correct the door issue (at the very least), it's looking like the Westerfield model would be a far better investment of my time and effort

-Fritz Milhaupt
Web Guy and DCC Wrangler, Operations Road Show
http://www.railsonwheels.com/ors

Frederick Freitas <prrinvt@...>

GUYZ,,

After following this thread, I am reminded of the old AHM models. The truck photo indicates they used the same non-standard mounting as used on the stock cars. I agree that the Westerfield is the way to go for now.

Fred Freitas

[...]

Donald Ford <ford.donald77@...>

Group
Lets see these are my changes, Air Hose, hand brake wheel, hand grabs, ladder
rungs, door size, door hardware, running board lateral brackets, running board
too high off roof.  All that and save the paint too.  My Westerfield car wasn't
that hard or time consuming.  The BLI car looks toy like.
Don Ford
Kanab UT