Illinois Central 3-bay hopper...

Steve Lucas <stevelucas3@...>

I have a couple of undec HO Bowser three-bay hopper kits. Are they suitable for modelling IC hoppers, or total foobies if decorated for the IC?

Thanks in advance,

Steve Lucas.

Benjamin Hom

Steve Lucas asked:
"I have a couple of undec HO Bowser three-bay hopper kits. Are they suitable for
modelling IC hoppers, or total foobies if decorated for the IC?"

Are you asking about the former Stewart offset triple, or the 100-ton triple?

Ben Hom

Steve Lucas <stevelucas3@...>

Sorry, Ben--

To clarify, the 70-ton ex-Stewart tripple hopper.

Steve Lucas.

--- In STMFC@..., Benjamin Hom <b.hom@...> wrote:

Steve Lucas asked:
"I have a couple of undec HO Bowser three-bay hopper kits. Are they suitable for
modelling IC hoppers, or total foobies if decorated for the IC?"

Are you asking about the former Stewart offset triple, or the 100-ton triple?

Ben Hom

Benjamin Hom

Steve Lucas asked:
"I have a couple of undec HO Bowser (ex-Stewart 70-ton) three-bay hopper kits.
Are they suitable for

modelling IC hoppers, or total foobies if decorated for the IC?"

They'd be foobies, but getting to an accurate IC offset triple is not an easy
path.  The IC cars are a taller three-bay version of the ARA offset quad
familiar to HO scale modelers as the Athearn (and multiple knockoffs) quad, with
the earlier "stepped" taper.  The following photos are of these cars after
rebuilding in the 1970s:
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/ic/icg330532alb.jpg
http://home.mindspring.com/~paducah/icg24.htm

I remember seeing an in-process HO scale model of one of these cars out at the
first St. Louis prototype meet done from an MDC offset triple, but I don't
remember the modeler (it was either Dan Kohlberg or Mike Budde).  The problem,
as always, with this model is the goofy deep side sill and shallow profile
hoppers, but it does have the stepped taper and, with Archer rivets now
available, doing the four side sheet reinforcements is now a lot easier.
Another route would be to convert an Athearn quad to a three bay hopper, but my
gut feeling is that this conversion would be too short in height.

Ben Hom

Steve, which one? I think Stewart made 4 70-ton triple hoppers.

Tim O'Connor

At 9/10/2010 02:34 PM Friday, you wrote:
Sorry, Ben--

To clarify, the 70-ton ex-Stewart tripple hopper.

Steve Lucas.

--- In STMFC@..., Benjamin Hom <b.hom@...> wrote:

Steve Lucas asked:
"I have a couple of undec HO Bowser three-bay hopper kits. Are they suitable for
modelling IC hoppers, or total foobies if decorated for the IC?"

Are you asking about the former Stewart offset triple, or the 100-ton triple?

Ben Hom

Tim O'Connor

How about the old Ulrich triple hopper? You'd have to redo the
sides and gussets (grind off?) because it represents the AAR
alternate standard style of construction, but otherwise the body
shape appears pretty close.

Tim O'Connor

[...]

killercarp

--- In STMFC@..., Benjamin Hom <b.hom@...> wrote:

Steve Lucas asked:
"I have a couple of undec HO Bowser (ex-Stewart 70-ton) three-bay hopper kits.
Are they suitable for

modelling IC hoppers, or total foobies if decorated for the IC?"

They'd be foobies, but getting to an accurate IC offset triple is not an easy
path.  The IC cars are a taller three-bay version of the ARA offset quad
familiar to HO scale modelers as the Athearn (and multiple knockoffs) quad, with
the earlier "stepped" taper.  The following photos are of these cars after
rebuilding in the 1970s:
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/ic/icg330532alb.jpg
http://home.mindspring.com/~paducah/icg24.htm
At the risk of disagreeing, the two cars referenced are ICG renumbers of the IC 65300-66699 series 3263 cu ft cars built by the IC in Centralia in 1965, which puts them, even in original paint and number series, outside the range of the STMFC. http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/ic/ic-f146.gif

While not entirely with the STMFC either, the IC 82000-83499 series 2773 cu ft cars built in 1960 would not have the same height issue. If they are within your era, they may be an acceptable stand in for you despite the lack of the stepped taper.
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/ic/ic-f146.gif
Many of these cars got side extensions later, beyond STMFC-era, but some remained unchanged through the ICG merger of 1972.
Here's are a couple without the added extensions:
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/ic/ic82351w.jpg
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/ic/ic82960ajg.jpg
There are also pictures on page 67 of the IC/GM&O Color Guede from Morning Sun.

I have pictures that show the 82000 series coupled to other, identifiable cars with no appreciable height difference, but the 65300s are clearly taller.

Prior to 1960, I can find no IC triple hoppers. The fleet appears to have been primarily twin hoppers and gondolas before this.

To me, the height would be more outside my foobie tolerance than the taper, at least for a larger fleet, but, of course, yours may be different.
Tim VanMersbergen

Ray Breyer

Prior to 1960, I can find no IC triple hoppers.  The
fleet appears to have been primarily twin hoppers and
gondolas before this.
Tim VanMersbergen

IC 713000-713749, built 1929 by GACC and Standard Steel.
Renumbered to 81000-81744 in 1951.

Three cars converted from 81000-series into woodchip hoppers with raised sides and roof, numbered 81750-81752 in 1951.

C&IW 1000-1099, built 1929 by GACC. 35 cars renumbered to 900-934 in 1951, others leased to C&IM under original numbers (but in C&IM paint).

IC 81790-81799, built for People's Gas in 1947, sold to IC in 1957.

Since I don't have any triple hoppers in my car fleet I can't measure and compare any of these cars against the models in question. If anyone wants copies of these car diagrams, email me offlist!

Regards,
Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL

Steve Lucas <stevelucas3@...>

To Ben and everyone else who replied, thanks!

I'll try making an HO Athearn 4-bay into an IC 3-bay. Just a little cutting and splicing and comparing a mocked-up model model to the real thing. Which may lead me into yet another project to work on...

Thanks again,