From: "lifeisgood_u2" <goodheart05@yahoo.com>
Sender: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 16:51:39
To: <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [STMFC] ACCURAIL separate ladders & grabs

I enjoy resin and the better plastic kits but have started an ambitious new layout, so don't log much craftsman kit time these days. But need a fleet of period (30's)cars in the interm. Was talking to a dealer and we mentioned Accurail and lamented that they didn't have a line of cars with separate ladders, grabs, etc. as a balance between the shake-the-box and time-consuming craftsman kits. He said "yeah, everyone says that," so I assume Accurail hears it a lot too. Some of our members clearly have ties to Accurail. Can anyone comment on Accurail's position on the topic?

Wayne O'Hern
New York & Northern (aka Rutland)

Greg Martin

Wayne,

Can you tell me why you would ask us to comment on ACCURAIL's position when
you could email them at _dennis@accurail.com_ (mailto:dennis@accurail.com)
.

It is funny you didn't ask for comments on our personal opinions of
ACCURAIL kits. Mine is I have used them extensively in upgrading and kit
conversions with great success and shared them with others. The time spent is as
rewarding as laying track or doing scenery in my opinion, I find all of this
to be essential.

Greg Martin

In a message dated 9/11/2010 9:51:54 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
goodheart05@yahoo.com writes:

Can anyone comment on Accurail's position on the topic?

Gene <bierglaeser@...>

I'd like to echo Mark's statement.
Gene Green

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, bnonut@... wrote:

I like accurail. Realize the cast on detail but prefer American products. <snip>
Mark Morgan
<Snip>

lifeisgood_u2 <goodheart05@...>

Hi Greg--

Tx to you and the rest for your comments. I too like Accurail,very much. Otherwise the subject would not have come up and I hope that nobody is taking offense at the question. I've been looking for a modest temporary upgrade for an even more modest amount of time away from getting the new roadbed & such in. It started as a casual comment on my part, "gee, it sure would be nice...." and I was startled by the dealer's response, like he hears that a lot. If he's accurate I thought, no use sending yet another email. But the point is well taken, ought to do it anyhow.

I also enjoy upgrading cars, but for me at least its a slippery slope: "Oh, I'll just do this" quickly turns into a major diversion.

Tx for your replies, no offense intended

Wayen O'Hern

you could email them at _dennis@..._ (mailto:dennis@...)
.

goodheart05@... writes:

Can anyone comment on Accurail's position on the topic?

Bill Welch

I "feel you" Greg in terms of upgrading. I am resigned to the fact it seems to take me the same amount of time to do build, paint and decal a styrene kit, no matter whether it is RC, IM, Accurail, Tichy, BL, etc as it does to build, paint and decal a resin kit. (And I am not Jack Spencer)

Bill Welch

goodheart05@ writes:

Can anyone comment on Accurail's position on the topic?

Tim O'Connor

Accurail is not in the "hi fidelity" business (like Sunshine)
but they aim to provide products to a wider market at a much
lower price. Accurail makes many very useful products to scale
modelers (esp scale size draft gear & couplers, and underframes).
Most of their models represent specific prototype cars. Some are
not available in correct form in HO scale from anyone else e.g.
USRA twin hoppers, and some others are better than anyone else's
e.g. AAR offset-side triple hoppers. The Accurail Bettendorf truck
may be the second most widely used HO scale truck behind Athearn's
ASF A-3.

Hear hear Bill! Sometimes it feels like it takes me just as long
to finish an "RTR" model as a resin kit (tank cars excepted) ;-)

Tim O'Connor

At 9/12/2010 08:51 PM Sunday, you wrote:
I "feel you" Greg in terms of upgrading. I am resigned to the fact it seems to take me the same amount of time to do build, paint and decal a styrene kit, no matter whether it is RC, IM, Accurail, Tichy, BL, etc as it does to build, paint and decal a resin kit. (And I am not Jack Spencer)

Bill Welch

Greg Martin

Bill and All,

Off line I sent Wayne a couple of photos of the Shake N Take Accurail
Reefer we did in the past and one that was done later representing the Needham
Packing/Sioux City Dressed Beef car that I did and have had at Cocoa Beach.
These cars are simple (currently have four underframes nearly completed on
the bench) and the results are better than average. Never having built a
resin kit I have finished I suffer from a comparison issue. I nearly finished
a Roller Bearing Models resin Troop Sleeper but gave it to a friend
before it was finished. Shame on me, well perhaps.

I will likely never finish all the styrene kits that I have in my "stash".

Greg Martin

In a message dated 9/12/2010 5:51:45 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
fgexbill@tampabay.rr.com writes:

I "feel you" Greg in terms of upgrading. I am resigned to the fact it
seems to take me the same amount of time to do build, paint and decal a styrene
kit, no matter whether it is RC, IM, Accurail, Tichy, BL, etc as it does
to build, paint and decal a resin kit. (And I am not Jack Spencer)

Bill Welch

Armand Premo

Tim,How would you compare Accurail's twin hopper with Tichy''s?Too much work needs to be done on Accurail's car to make it an acceptable model IMHO.For those who need large numbers of twin hoppers these are merely stand ins.Armand Premo

Accurail is not in the "hi fidelity" business (like Sunshine)
but they aim to provide products to a wider market at a much
lower price. Accurail makes many very useful products to scale
modelers (esp scale size draft gear & couplers, and underframes).
Most of their models represent specific prototype cars. Some are
not available in correct form in HO scale from anyone else e.g.
USRA twin hoppers, and some others are better than anyone else's
e.g. AAR offset-side triple hoppers. The Accurail Bettendorf truck
may be the second most widely used HO scale truck behind Athearn's
ASF A-3.

Armand Premo

I have recently tried to upgrade an Accurail reefer.All went well until I tried to match the paint.I never knew there were so many different shades of yellow.What would you suggest that I use? Armand Premo
-----

ken_olson54022 <kwolson@...>

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Armand Premo" <armprem2@...> wrote:

I have recently tried to upgrade an Accurail reefer.All went well until I tried to match the paint.I never knew there were so many different shades of yellow.What would you suggest that I use? Armand Premo
-----
Doesn't their web site have a listing of which paint was used on which models? I seem to remember that all were Pollyscale, but that reefer yellow might not necessarily be what was used on a particular reefer....

Ken Olson

Ray Breyer

How would you compare Accurail's twin hopper with
Tichy''s?Too much work needs to be done on Accurail's
car to make it an acceptable model IMHO.For those who
need large numbers of  twin hoppers these are merely
stand ins.Armand Premo
Hi Armand,

Remember, the Tichy USRA twin hopper is almost 18" too long. Accurails, while having cast-on grabs, are the correct length. That in itself makes the Tichy (Gould) model much more of a foobie than the Accurail.

Accurail hoppers have VERY fine cast-on grabs. For those of us needing to assemble a FLEET of cars, they're pretty much good as-is out of the box. Add cut levers, maybe a few other SMALL free-standing details, and a quality weathering job, and they're done.

And remember: once the cars start rolling all those fine details disappear into a blur of browns and blacks. Superdetailing each and every car to super fine standards might be fun and earn brownie points, but it doesn't get the cars on a layout moving!

Regards,
Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL

Armand Premo

Tried Five different brands of Reefer yellow without an acceptable match,Polly Scale included.Armand Premo

> I have recently tried to upgrade an Accurail reefer.All went well until I tried to match the paint.I never knew there were so many different shades of yellow.What would you suggest that I use? Armand Premo
> -----

Doesn't their web site have a listing of which paint was used on which models? I seem to remember that all were Pollyscale, but that reefer yellow might not necessarily be what was used on a particular reefer....

Ken Olson

Benjamin Hom

Ray Breyer wrote:
"Remember, the Tichy USRA twin hopper is almost 18" too long. Accurails, while having cast-on grabs, are the correct length. That in itself makes the Tichy (Gould) model much more of a foobie than the Accurail."

Ray, where are you getting this? The length of the Tichy USRA twin is NOT the issue, and if you've got proof otherwise, I'd be happy to see your work.. The following side-by-side illustrates the issue with the Tichy model:
http://tinyurl.com/Prototype-Tichy-HO-USRA-Twin

The center two panels of the model are wider than prototype. Granted, it's not noticeable unless you look for it, but once you know it's there, it's like an itch you can't scratch.

Ben Hom

Armand Premo

Ray ,I do not consider myself as a "Rivet Counter",but some things about the Accurail Twin hopper really bother me:Some of the detail parts are grossly cast and out of scale,The brake lever is an easy fix.Lack of slope sheet supports is also fixable as is missing interior detail.The unloading mechanism is poorly presented.The car also looks a bit too narrow.Having said all that,I am very pleased with their new triple hopper and gondola.Armand premo

Armand Premo wrote:
"Lack of slope sheet supports is also fixable..."

Know thy prototype - the USRA twins did not have slope sheet supports.  See the
linked photo in my previous post.

Ben Hom

David Sieber

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Armand Premo" wrote: I have recently tried to upgrade an Accurail reefer. All went well until I tried to match the paint. I never knew there were so many different shades of yellow. What would you suggest that I use?
--- "Ken Olson" wrote: Doesn't their web site have a listing of which paint was used on which models? I seem to remember that all were Pollyscale, but that reefer yellow might not necessarily be what was used on a particular reefer.
--- "Armand Premo" wrote: Tried Five different brands of Reefer yellow without an acceptable match, Polly Scale included.

Gentlemen,

I suspect Ken was thinking of 5th Avenue Car Shops, who market excellent custom painted and lettered Accurail cars, and whose web site has a complete list of all current and previously issued cars by road number with Polly Scale references for matching the sides and ends of all their cars. I have not seen this on Accurail's web site for their own releases; note that on their Decal Renumber Set page, they advise that "There have been too many changes in paint formulation for us to be able to match the color of many of our older kits." I suspect that like many other manufacturers, Accurail uses commercial paint products rather than paint from any of the firms that market to modelers. Perhaps Dennis Storzek can comment on this.

When we modelers modify/upgrade cars to suit our needs, we can only try to match existing paint as best we can, then use weathering to blend the shades together. If you want to represent a newly delivered or repainted car, but you've replaced molded-on details, just bite the bullet and repaint and decal it. (Unless the car you want is available from 5th Avenue Car Shops, so you can get match the paint from Polly Scale per their paint reference ... until/unless Floquil changes the Polly Scale formulation.)

Good luck, Dave Sieber, Reno NV

pullmanboss <tcmadden@...>

Ray Breyer wrote:
Remember, the Tichy USRA twin hopper is almost 18" too long.
Accurails, while having cast-on grabs, are the correct length.
Not so. See this photo comparing the two bodies:
http://www.pullmanproject.com/Hoppers%20compared.jpg

Tom Madden

Andy Carlson

Perhaps the source of this confusion was the first runs of the Atlas hopper. I
heard that Atlas sent some published plans (Mainline Modeler?) to China, where
the car duplicated the error of the extra post printed on the plans across the
stapled page. I believe that Atlas corrected this error on later runs.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA