NC&StL (was GN) Flat Cars

Benjamin Hom

Bob Kutella asked:
“A friend (and member here) scanned the insert in the set of Champ decals that I
have ordered. The immediate question is do any of you know what color the TICHY
flat car kits were painted for this road? The info on the decal sheet suggests
black or iron oxide, but not which one.”

Brian Carlson posted the same question earlier last week.  To date, nobody has
posted an answer.  If you have two Tichy kits (or have one of the Ertl models on
hand that models the same prototype), you can paint one black and the other red!

“The sheet also suggests a number of 70229; do any of you know if this is a
correct number or the series the cars may have had?  The kit in question is sold
by TICHY as their Kit 4021 and is said to be a 40' fifty ton flat car and has
straight side sills, not fishbelly. The claim is that it was built by AC&F in
1928 for the NC&StL.”

NC&StL bought these cars in two batches:
NC&StL 70100-70199, 1923
NC&StL 70200-70299, 1926

A builder’s photo of NC&StL 70229 was published in the 1928 and 1931 issues of
the Car Builders Cyclopedia.

See Richard Hendrickson’s article in the June 1993 issue of Railmodel Journal
for more information on this and other potential prototypes for this kit.

Ben Hom

Tim O'Connor

Ben Hom wrote

A builder's photo of NC&StL 70229 was published in the 1928 and 1931
issues of the Car Builders Cyclopedia.
... and that photo makes the car appear to be painted black.
Later photos from the 1950's appear to be oxide red.

Tim O'Connor

Richard Hendrickson

On Sep 13, 2010, at 10:50 AM, Tim O'Connor wrote:

Ben Hom wrote

A builder's photo of NC&StL 70229 was published in the 1928 and 1931
issues of the Car Builders Cyclopedia.
... and that photo makes the car appear to be painted black.
Later photos from the 1950's appear to be oxide red.
That's my conclusion, too, since I've never found either a color
photo or NC&StL color documentation. FWIW, I painted my model
mineral red.

Richard Hendrickson

FRANK PEACOCK

I'm going with freight car red for the color of NC&StL flat cars. About 25-30 years ago Richard told me that railroads generally paint their open tops the same. Since the N&C painted their hoppers and gons FCR that is what I am gonna paint the flats. FHP (Frank H. Peacock)

To: STMFC@...
From: rhendrickson@...
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 11:47:25 -0700
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: NC&StL (was GN) Flat Cars

On Sep 13, 2010, at 10:50 AM, Tim O'Connor wrote:

Ben Hom wrote
A builder's photo of NC&StL 70229 was published in the 1928 and 1931
issues of the Car Builders Cyclopedia.
... and that photo makes the car appear to be painted black.
Later photos from the 1950's appear to be oxide red.

That's my conclusion, too, since I've never found either a color

photo or NC&StL color documentation. FWIW, I painted my model

mineral red.

Richard Hendrickson

Frank, that's a good rule, but you can't ignore the exceptions. SP's
G-70-8 "G31b" gondolas (Tangent model) were delivered in BLACK, for
example. :-) And Southern was a road that had both black and red open
cars together for a while (and later continued the practice). Photos
are really indispensible IMO.

Tim O'Connor

On Sep 13, 2010, at 4:19 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:

Frank, that's a good rule, but you can't ignore the exceptions. SP's
G-70-8 "G31b" gondolas (Tangent model) were delivered in BLACK, for
example. :-) And Southern was a road that had both black and red open
cars together for a while (and later continued the practice). Photos
are really indispensible IMO.
All true, Tim, but when there are no color photos, you gotta work
with what you have. And I continue to think the NC&StL flats were
mineral red until someone produces positive evidence to the contrary.

Richard Hendrickson

Bill Welch

I have used Modelflex Oxide red on all of my NC&StL cars, open top and house cars for those painted in the yellow stripe period and the mineral red/brown for two in their prewar schemes.

The few colour photos I have seen of their stripped boxcars have a distinctly red cast.

Bill Welch

To: STMFC@...
From: rhendrickson@...
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 11:47:25 -0700

On Sep 13, 2010, at 10:50 AM, Tim O'Connor wrote:

Ben Hom wrote
A builder's photo of NC&StL 70229 was published in the 1928 and 1931
issues of the Car Builders Cyclopedia.
... and that photo makes the car appear to be painted black.
Later photos from the 1950's appear to be oxide red.

That's my conclusion, too, since I've never found either a color

photo or NC&StL color documentation. FWIW, I painted my model

mineral red.

Richard Hendrickson

Bob Kutella

All true, Tim, but when there are no color photos, you gotta work
with what you have. And I continue to think the NC&StL flats were
mineral red until someone produces positive evidence to the contrary.

Richard Hendrickson
Richard, Tim, Mitchell, all of the rest of you - THANKS!! You are a wealth of information found nowhere else and have shared it freely! Perhaps I can return the favor sometime in the future.

Bob Kutella

Bob Kutella

Sometimes progress is agonizingly slow, sometimes happens at warp speed.

I found a reference library that had the 1931 Car Builders Cyclopedia, they copied the pic in question, and I have it in hand now.

THAT IS FAST!

This Yahoo board does not support pics well or easily, and it is already a copy of a pic, but if anyone really needs this, use the e mail button and I will try to make a scan and send same.

So thanks again to all of you who helped give me an education!

Bob Kutella

Sigpress <thompson@...>

Tim, SP also painted some flat card black in that brief window for black gondolas. It's all in my volumes, of course.
Tony Thompson

Sent from my iPod