Endangered Tools

Denny Anspach <danspach@...>

Like the advancing thin edge of the wedge, it has come to my attention that several of our very favorite tools are no longer available, namely the very fine Utica Swiss-made PBL sprue cutters, both varieties. They are no longer on dealers' shelves, nor are they on P-B-L's website or product list. I suspect that with the weak dollar, PBL could not longer afford to import them, and the flooding of the modeling market with cheap Pakistan clones by Micro Mark did not help (the Micro Mark cutter WILL cut melted butter but nothing more substantial- making it as a replacement tool a pretty dear item).

Otto Frei has a similar Swiss cutter to the Swiss P-B-L varieties (Dumont No. 15A High Precision Carbon Steel Tweezers 157.312) at @$87; and Wiha has a German-made variety #49501- almost identical @$86, which gives some clue as to what values are involved for fine tools these days. .

Also noted is that in some Otto Frei listings, their outstanding, popular, and precise French- made brass-handle/steel-chuck miniature pin vise #23650 is either just "Out of Stock", or is no longer listed. I have made inquiry.

Although I do take extremely good care of tools (usually!), this certainly is a cautionary note to guard even more closely my P-B-Ls, reserving to cutting pliers any tasks calling for cutting any metals, no matter how small.

Also, once again, with regard to the MicroMark copy, I got exactly what I paid for- performance and quality commensurate with the cheap price. Caveat Emptor.

Denny

Denny S. Anspach, MD
Okoboji, Iowa

Tim O'Connor

Denny

Didn't Terry Wegmann also make some of these? I seem to recall
someone at Naperville with handfuls of these "home made" sprue
cutters... (This would be a while before they became widely known
and sold by P-B-L and others.)

But yeah, as kit building disappears as a hobby, all of the support
infrastructure (tools, adhesives, paints, decals, detail parts) may
disappear too. But not in our lifetimes I hope. :-)

Tim O'Connor

Like the advancing thin edge of the wedge, it has come to my attention that several of our very favorite tools are no longer available, namely the very fine Utica Swiss-made PBL sprue cutters, both varieties. They are no longer on dealers' shelves, nor are they on P-B-L's website or product list. I suspect that with the weak dollar, PBL could not longer afford to import them, and the flooding of the modeling market with cheap Pakistan clones by Micro Mark did not help (the Micro Mark cutter WILL cut melted butter but nothing more substantial- making it as a replacement tool a pretty dear item).

Otto Frei has a similar Swiss cutter to the Swiss P-B-L varieties (Dumont No. 15A High Precision Carbon Steel Tweezers 157.312) at @$87; and Wiha has a German-made variety #49501- almost identical @$86, which gives some clue as to what values are involved for fine tools these days. .

Also noted is that in some Otto Frei listings, their outstanding, popular, and precise French- made brass-handle/steel-chuck miniature pin vise #23650 is either just "Out of Stock", or is no longer listed. I have made inquiry.

Although I do take extremely good care of tools (usually!), this certainly is a cautionary note to guard even more closely my P-B-Ls, reserving to cutting pliers any tasks calling for cutting any metals, no matter how small.

Also, once again, with regard to the MicroMark copy, I got exactly what I paid for- performance and quality commensurate with the cheap price. Caveat Emptor.

Denny S. Anspach, MD
Okoboji, Iowa

Bill Welch

Dear Denny and everyone:

I encountered this when trying to find an HO ruler while I continue to find some of my tools from my move a year ago. I have two, one a long Walthers example which is good but often feels unwieldy because of its 12 inch or so length. My short one, which is still eluding me, is I think from "General Tool" and is about 6-inches and BTW is NOT straight on one side. It is great for measuring in HO including one section in HO inches. So desperate was I for a small one right now that I ordered a "Factory second" manufactured for a company named "Creative Horizons" that no longer sells these rulers. The price was about $2 and it is straight on both sides and will serve until I can find my favorite, albeit crooked one. It is straight on the HO edge.

I did order something from H&R Trains and will pick it up. Walthers no longer offers any under its brand and buying something like this from a website or catalog is difficult. Some are described as flexible, which is the LAST thing I want in a ruler.

I am sure my small one will show up and now think it is in the same box with the small power supply for my little drill and my HO calipers which are plastic but okay. I wish I had been modeling when PFM offered an HO caliber.

So I echo Denny's Caveat Emptor but also go by the words of Gen. "Vinegar" Joe Stillwell's advice: "Illegitimum non carborundum." (pardon my poor Latin spelling)

Bill Welch

--- In STMFC@..., Denny Anspach <danspach@...> wrote:

Denny

Denny S. Anspach, MD
Okoboji, Iowa

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Brian Ehni <behni@...>

You¹re forgiven for the poor Latin spelling, but that¹s not a proper Latin
phrase in the first place.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illegitimi_non_carborundum

Thanks!
--

Brian P. Ehni

Reply-To: STMFC List <STMFC@...>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 21:51:18 -0000
To: STMFC List <STMFC@...>
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Endangered Tools

Dear Denny and everyone:

I encountered this when trying to find an HO ruler while I continue to find
some of my tools from my move a year ago. I have two, one a long Walthers
example which is good but often feels unwieldy because of its 12 inch or so
length. My short one, which is still eluding me, is I think from "General
Tool" and is about 6-inches and BTW is NOT straight on one side. It is great
for measuring in HO including one section in HO inches. So desperate was I
for a small one right now that I ordered a "Factory second" manufactured for
a company named "Creative Horizons" that no longer sells these rulers. The
price was about $2 and it is straight on both sides and will serve until I
can find my favorite, albeit crooked one. It is straight on the HO edge.

I did order something from H&R Trains and will pick it up. Walthers no
longer offers any under its brand and buying something like this from a
website or catalog is difficult. Some are described as flexible, which is
the LAST thing I want in a ruler.

I am sure my small one will show up and now think it is in the same box with
the small power supply for my little drill and my HO calipers which are
plastic but okay. I wish I had been modeling when PFM offered an HO caliber.

So I echo Denny's Caveat Emptor but also go by the words of Gen. "Vinegar"
Joe Stillwell's advice: "Illegitimum non carborundum." (pardon my poor Latin
spelling)

Bill Welch

--- In STMFC@... <mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com> , Denny
Anspach <danspach@...> wrote:

Like the advancing thin edge of the wedge, it has come to my attention that
several of our very favorite tools are no longer available, namely the very fine
Utica Swiss-made PBL sprue cutters, both varieties. They are no longer on
dealers' shelves, nor are they on P-B-L's website or product list. I suspect
that with the weak dollar, PBL could not longer afford to import them, and the
flooding of the modeling market with cheap Pakistan clones by Micro Mark did not
help (the Micro Mark cutter WILL cut melted butter but nothing more substantial-
making it as a replacement tool a pretty dear item).

Otto Frei has a similar Swiss cutter to the Swiss P-B-L varieties (Dumont
No. 15A High Precision Carbon Steel Tweezers 157.312) at @$87; and Wiha has a
German-made variety #49501- almost identical @$86, which gives some clue as to
what values are involved for fine tools these days. .

Also noted is that in some Otto Frei listings, their outstanding, popular, and
precise French- made brass-handle/steel-chuck miniature pin vise #23650 is
either just "Out of Stock", or is no longer listed. I have made inquiry.

Although I do take extremely good care of tools (usually!), this certainly is
a cautionary note to guard even more closely my P-B-Ls, reserving to cutting
pliers any tasks calling for cutting any metals, no matter how small.

Also, once again, with regard to the MicroMark copy, I got exactly what I paid
for- performance and quality commensurate with the cheap price. Caveat Emptor.

Denny

Denny S. Anspach, MD
Okoboji, Iowa

Larry Wolohon

Denny & others,

This is bad news, I have used my PBL sprue cutters continuously since I bought mine in 1997. I also used a miniature T square a lot that Simpson used to make quite a bit, from the early 1980's. I dropped last spring, it broke & I was unable to fix it. This tool is also no longer available, since Russ Simpson passed away. I still haven't been able to find a suitable replacement.

Now I will be more careful with my tools.

Larry Wolohon

----- Original Message -----
To: "STMFC List" <STMFC@...>
Sent: Monday, September 13, 2010 2:44:52 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Endangered Tools

Denny

Denny S. Anspach, MD
Okoboji, Iowa

jerryglow2

It probably was Dan Smith. Both of them were regulars at our Tues nite get togethers and were running a pretty good business on them when they could find the raw product which Terry fine ground on a diamond grinder.

Jerry Glow
http://home.comcast.net/~jerryglow/decals/

--- In STMFC@..., Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

Denny

Didn't Terry Wegmann also make some of these? I seem to recall
someone at Naperville with handfuls of these "home made" sprue
cutters... (This would be a while before they became widely known
and sold by P-B-L and others.)

But yeah, as kit building disappears as a hobby, all of the support
infrastructure (tools, adhesives, paints, decals, detail parts) may
disappear too. But not in our lifetimes I hope. :-)

Tim O'Connor

Denny S. Anspach, MD
Okoboji, Iowa

Carey Probst <carey@...>

Actually I just checked the P-B-L site and both the flat backed and

rounded back flush cutters are available for $21.95 and 19.95
respectively. They also have a a Stainless Steel flush cutter for 16.95

See the Online Catalog/Tools/ Page 3, cat. numbers 840, 841, 842.

Carey

Carey Probst

Member, M.I.T. Educational Council

S Scale, Sn3 and S High Rail/AF

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State,

the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

4a.

Denny & others,

This is bad news, I have used my PBL sprue cutters continuously
since I bought mine in 1997. I also used a miniature T square a
lot that Simpson used to make quite a bit, from the early 1980's.
I dropped last spring, it broke & I was unable to fix it. This
tool is also no longer available, since Russ Simpson passed away.
I still haven't been able to find a suitable replacement.

Now I will be more careful with my tools.

Larry Wolohon