Endangered Tools

Denny Anspach <danspach@...>

Like the advancing thin edge of the wedge, it has come to my attention that several of our very favorite tools are no longer available, namely the very fine Utica Swiss-made PBL sprue cutters, both varieties. They are no longer on dealers' shelves, nor are they on P-B-L's website or product list. I suspect that with the weak dollar, PBL could not longer afford to import them, and the flooding of the modeling market with cheap Pakistan clones by Micro Mark did not help (the Micro Mark cutter WILL cut melted butter but nothing more substantial- making it as a replacement tool a pretty dear item).

Otto Frei has a similar Swiss cutter to the Swiss P-B-L varieties (Dumont No. 15A High Precision Carbon Steel Tweezers 157.312) at @$87; and Wiha has a German-made variety #49501- almost identical @$86, which gives some clue as to what values are involved for fine tools these days. .

Also noted is that in some Otto Frei listings, their outstanding, popular, and precise French- made brass-handle/steel-chuck miniature pin vise #23650 is either just "Out of Stock", or is no longer listed. I have made inquiry.

Although I do take extremely good care of tools (usually!), this certainly is a cautionary note to guard even more closely my P-B-Ls, reserving to cutting pliers any tasks calling for cutting any metals, no matter how small.

Also, once again, with regard to the MicroMark copy, I got exactly what I paid for- performance and quality commensurate with the cheap price. Caveat Emptor.

Denny

Denny S. Anspach, MD
Okoboji, Iowa

Tim O'Connor

Denny

Didn't Terry Wegmann also make some of these? I seem to recall
someone at Naperville with handfuls of these "home made" sprue
cutters... (This would be a while before they became widely known
and sold by P-B-L and others.)

But yeah, as kit building disappears as a hobby, all of the support
infrastructure (tools, adhesives, paints, decals, detail parts) may
disappear too. But not in our lifetimes I hope. :-)

Tim O'Connor

[...]

Bill Welch

Dear Denny and everyone:

I encountered this when trying to find an HO ruler while I continue to find some of my tools from my move a year ago. I have two, one a long Walthers example which is good but often feels unwieldy because of its 12 inch or so length. My short one, which is still eluding me, is I think from "General Tool" and is about 6-inches and BTW is NOT straight on one side. It is great for measuring in HO including one section in HO inches. So desperate was I for a small one right now that I ordered a "Factory second" manufactured for a company named "Creative Horizons" that no longer sells these rulers. The price was about $2 and it is straight on both sides and will serve until I can find my favorite, albeit crooked one. It is straight on the HO edge.

I did order something from H&R Trains and will pick it up. Walthers no longer offers any under its brand and buying something like this from a website or catalog is difficult. Some are described as flexible, which is the LAST thing I want in a ruler.

I am sure my small one will show up and now think it is in the same box with the small power supply for my little drill and my HO calipers which are plastic but okay. I wish I had been modeling when PFM offered an HO caliber.

So I echo Denny's Caveat Emptor but also go by the words of Gen. "Vinegar" Joe Stillwell's advice: "Illegitimum non carborundum." (pardon my poor Latin spelling)

Bill Welch

--- In STMFC@..., Denny Anspach <danspach@...> wrote:

[...]

Brian Ehni <behni@...>

You¹re forgiven for the poor Latin spelling, but that¹s not a proper Latin
phrase in the first place.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illegitimi_non_carborundum

Thanks!
--

Brian P. Ehni

From: Bill Welch <fgexbill@...>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 21:51:18 -0000
To: STMFC List <STMFC@...>
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Endangered Tools

--- In STMFC@... <mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com> , Denny
Anspach <danspach@...> wrote:

[...]

Larry Wolohon

Denny & others,

This is bad news, I have used my PBL sprue cutters continuously since I bought mine in 1997. I also used a miniature T square a lot that Simpson used to make quite a bit, from the early 1980's. I dropped last spring, it broke & I was unable to fix it. This tool is also no longer available, since Russ Simpson passed away. I still haven't been able to find a suitable replacement.

Now I will be more careful with my tools.

Larry Wolohon

[...]

jerryglow2

It probably was Dan Smith. Both of them were regulars at our Tues nite get togethers and were running a pretty good business on them when they could find the raw product which Terry fine ground on a diamond grinder.

Jerry Glow
http://home.comcast.net/~jerryglow/decals/

[...]

Carey Probst <carey@...>

Actually I just checked the P-B-L site and both the flat backed and

rounded back flush cutters are available for $21.95 and 19.95
respectively. They also have a a Stainless Steel flush cutter for 16.95

See the Online Catalog/Tools/ Page 3, cat. numbers 840, 841, 842.

Carey

Carey Probst

Member, M.I.T. Educational Council

S Scale, Sn3 and S High Rail/AF

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State,

the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

4a.