From: ed_mines <ed_mines@...>
Subject: [STMFC] shipping kits
To: STMFC@...
Date: Thursday, September 23, 2010, 3:43 PM

Can you guys recommend the most economical way to ship kits?

I'm shipping a P2K gon in it's original box and 2 Athearn gon shells. The P2K box is a little longer than usual so I put everything in a bigger box.

USPO wanted to charge $8+. Staples (who I thought represented UPS)wanted $12+

Ed

Pierre <pierre.oliver@...>

Ed,
I've been shipping models now many years now using the mail exclusively.
I find the rates fair and the delivery times quite acceptable, even to Europe from Canada.
Pierre Oliver

--- In STMFC@..., "ed_mines" <ed_mines@...> wrote:

Can you guys recommend the most economical way to ship kits?

I'm shipping a P2K gon in it's original box and 2 Athearn gon shells. The P2K box is a little longer than usual so I put everything in a bigger box.

USPO wanted to charge $8+. Staples (who I thought represented UPS)wanted $12+

Ed

ed_mines

Thanks to all who made suggestions. Will concentrate on the USPO and use a minimum sized box.

Never had this problem before.

Damn P2K box is pretty long relative to other demensions.

Ed

Benjamin Hom

Ed Mines asked:
"Can you guys recommend the most economical way to ship kits?

I'm shipping a P2K gon in it's original box and 2 Athearn gon shells. The P2K box is a little longer than usual so I put everything in a bigger box.

USPO wanted to charge $8+. Staples (who I thought represented UPS)wanted $12+"

Ed, to answer our question, you'll need to do the following homework:

- Weigh the contents of your package plus your shipping box plus the packaging material. Due to the relatively light weight of your contents, I recommend finding a regular shipping box first vice using carrier-provided as they will steer you towards higher-priced services that may not be economical for a small shipment.

- Explore your options online. Go to the USPS postage calculator at
http://www.usps.com/tools/calculatepostage/welcome.htm?from=home_header&page=calculatepostage
and run your package weight and destination in the calcualtor to figure your postage. You essentially have several different options: First Class Mail (weight less than 13 oz); standard Priority Mail rates, and Priority Mail flat rate packaging. I strongly recommend you explore your options using this too because depending on the weight of your package and the destination, the rates may differ greatly. FedEx and UPS have similar tools online.

- USPS, FedEx, and UPS also allow you to process pacakges and print postage online (Priority Mail only for USPS), saving you time in line at the post office/FedEx Office store/UPS Store.

If you do your homework, you can do better than the prices quoted to you. I've been shipping packages for eBay auctions for over 10 years now, and have learned the system to keep shipping costs down.

Ben Hom

Andy Carlson

Single car shipping, the goal should be to keep the weight below 13 ounces,
above that there is a big increase to Priority Mail, and about $2.00 more. 1st
class is also non-zone rated, which means a cross crountry shipping will not
cost extra over a near destination. Priority Mail charges hefty extra fees to
farther away destinations.

I will frequently wrap a HO kit with kraft paper. Most freight cars will then
ship 1st class. I sent two kraft wrapped flat cars to a STMFC member; to keep
the total under 13 ounces, I had to remove one of the instructions. The same two
cars in a box would have been about $7.00 instead of the $3.80.

-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

Tim O'Connor

In addition to weight of 13 oz, a first class package cannot be longer
than 12" in any dimension. First class is the cheapest way to go whenever
possible! Priority Mail/Fixed Price boxes are all 12" or smaller in all
dimensions, until you go to the LARGE box -- and then the price is very
high! So if you're shipping HO passenger cars, UPS probably is the less
expensive route. I recently had to look all this up trying to ship a
long car to New Zealand -- the price jumped from $18 to $40 at the 12"
dimension threshold.

Tim O'Connor

Single car shipping, the goal should be to keep the weight below 13 ounces,
above that there is a big increase to Priority Mail, and about $2.00 more. 1st
class is also non-zone rated, which means a cross crountry shipping will not
cost extra over a near destination. Priority Mail charges hefty extra fees to
farther away destinations.

I will frequently wrap a HO kit with kraft paper. Most freight cars will then
ship 1st class. I sent two kraft wrapped flat cars to a STMFC member; to keep
the total under 13 ounces, I had to remove one of the instructions. The same two
cars in a box would have been about $7.00 instead of the $3.80.

-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

SUVCWORR@...

Generally, USPS parcel post is the least expensive. I ship everything by Priority mail with tracking.

Rich Orr

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Rich Orr wrote:
Generally, USPS parcel post is the least expensive. I ship everything by Priority mail with tracking.
For the lighter packages, yes, but NOT true in general. In book shipping, we look to see where the "crossover" is with UPS, often around two or three books.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Tim O'Connor

Tony

I just looked up Media Mail rates -- to ship 20 lbs of books from
California to Massachusetts is less than $10. I always ask for media
mail when ordering books, if it's available from the seller.

Tim O'Connor

For the lighter packages, yes, but NOT true in general. In book
shipping, we look to see where the "crossover" is with UPS, often
around two or three books.

Tony Thompson

Charles Hladik

Carey,
Not sure but I think there is a difference between "bulk" media rates
and "media" rates.
Just got a book from Western Ohio in 2 days to Central Virginia via
"media rate".
Chuck Hladik

In a message dated 9/29/2010 12:46:53 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
carey@... writes:

All I can say about media rates it that it took 27 days for a magazine
mailed in NJ using bulk media rates to get to my home in PA under 200
miles away.

It may be cheap but you better warn buyers about the times involved.

Carey

Tony wrote:

I just looked up Media Mail rates -- to ship 20 lbs of books from
California to Massachusetts is less than $10. I always ask for media
mail when ordering books, if it's available from the seller.

Carey Probst

Member, M.I.T. Educational Council

Perm: _hcprobst@... (mailto:hcprobst@...)

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State,

the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Carey Probst <carey@...>

Tony wrote:

I just looked up Media Mail rates -- to ship 20 lbs of books from
California to Massachusetts is less than $10. I always ask for media
mail when ordering books, if it's available from the seller.

Carey Probst

Member, M.I.T. Educational Council

Perm: hcprobst@...

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State,

the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Tim O'Connor

Technically magazines are not eligible for media mail rates. But in
any case I think 27 days to go 200 miles sounds like the truck broke
down, lost its brakes, rolled down an embankment, and was lost in the
woods for 24 days. Not a typical case.

Tim O'Connor

At 9/29/2010 12:49 PM Wednesday, you wrote:
Carey,
Not sure but I think there is a difference between "bulk" media rates
and "media" rates.
Just got a book from Western Ohio in 2 days to Central Virginia via
"media rate".
Chuck Hladik

Andy Carlson

I got a Ebay Negative feedback from an irate buyer of a railroad book because 30
days from the bid closing, he still did not have the book. On the next day, the
book showed up. He felt bad, I got stuck with the - feedback, and the post
office had his book for over 4 weeks, shipping from Southern California to
Northern California--media rate. Probably fell behind a box or something, only
to be discovered weeks later.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

________________________________
Technically magazines are not eligible for media mail rates. But in
any case I think 27 days to go 200 miles sounds like the truck broke
down, lost its brakes, rolled down an embankment, and was lost in the
woods for 24 days. Not a typical case.

Tim O'Connor

At 9/29/2010 12:49 PM Wednesday, you wrote:
Carey,
Not sure but I think there is a difference between "bulk" media rates
and "media" rates.
Just got a book from Western Ohio in 2 days to Central Virginia via
"media rate".
Chuck Hladik

Schuyler Larrabee

Media mail is so cheap because it is "when we get around to it" mail.

There is zero urgency assigned to it. In the case of getting it in two
days, they were obviously not very busy, the dull part of the summer, maybe.
Media mail in November and December is a disaster.

SGL

=======
=======

=======