Running crap was : Re: Accurail single-sheathed box cars and SL-SF single-sheathed box cars.

Clark Propst

Gene Green wrote: "I don't want visiting engineers or conductors unintentionally damaging a resin car while rerailing it."

Gene and all,
My layout is operated twice a month. Most of my rolling stock is resin, the rest has separate details (hoppers are the exception). I regularly operate on three other layouts and have been to the "Op till you drop" weekend marathons. Guys try to handle other's equipment with respect. Trick is to not to give them a reason to touch your stuff : ))

Damage does occur to my cars. It's a price I'm willing to pay to have the most realistic layout possible. Damage is mostly to the plastic models, resin cars are tough. The most common damage is to anything near the coupler. What air hoses I did put on, that haven't been knocked off, I've removed. I like uncoupling levers. Plastic ones disappear quickly. I've had to reglue a couple wire ones.
My P2K tank cars are really beat up. This winter I'll replace most of the plastic hand rails with wire. Something I should have done to begin with.

I think durability starts during assembly. Any model with plastic detail parts should have as many replaced as possible while on the workbench. I recently bought a RTR car in a weak moment. I knocked a corner step off getting it out of the box. The model went straight to the work desk for refurbishing and of course weathering, which includes reweigh dates and chalk marks, before it was put into service.

I feel modeling is about pushing yourself to be better. It's a self gratification thing. If you want an operating layout then modeling has to be your main focus. You can't be a good golfer if you don't play regularly. You also have to know your comfort level. If you've tried to build a couple of resin kits and are frustrated with the results, then maybe you should shy away from them. But, you won't know till you've tried a few.

Operators are different than most on this list. One of the reasons is you can't build resin kits and build a layout at the same time, but most disturbing to me is the fact they don't care. Rolling stock is just a piece in a broad game.
What really ticks me off is when at a train show a guy says "I just bring Athearn cars because I don't want damage my good stuff". I have no time for that attitude!!

Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

william darnaby

As a layout owner I strongly feel that I have to put the best product out there for the crews as they are doing me a favor by coming over and making the layout come alive for me. There are nearly 500 resin cars on the layout and after nearly 200 sessions there has been no serious damage. Just the annoying stray brake wheel, ladder or grab that I find along the right of way and collect in a little pile on the work bench. Eventually, the parts catch up with the car. Yesterday I found a car missing a tack board and, sure enough, it was in the pile.

Bill Darnaby

Garth G. Groff <ggg9y@...>

Clark and friends,

In general I agree with you about operators being generally careful with equipment, though I haven't been in an operating group for many years (long before RC and Proto 2000). However, children can be a problem with carefully built freight cars. At the request of one of my wife's work friends, I allowed his two pre-teen boys to run my small layout when they visited our house. I finally had to politely close things down when they got too rough with the equipment, though fortunately nothing was at that point broken. So when I later purged my layout of mass market plastic, I retained a dozen or so of the better cars with plastic grabs that could take rougher treatment by visiting youngsters: mostly Accurail and Bowser. If something happens to these like a trip to the floor, I won't be heartbroken.

Kind regards,

Garth Groff

On 10/4/2010 9:43 AM, Clark and Eileen wrote:
[...]

Armand Premo

When cars lose parts I put them back in their original box with a "Bad Order"slip.They are not put back into operation until repaired.If the mishap occurs during an op session the car in question is placed on the nearest empty track not to disrupt the session.Armand Premo

As a layout owner I strongly feel that I have to put the best product out
there for the crews as they are doing me a favor by coming over and making
the layout come alive for me. There are nearly 500 resin cars on the layout
and after nearly 200 sessions there has been no serious damage. Just the
annoying stray brake wheel, ladder or grab that I find along the right of
way and collect in a little pile on the work bench. Eventually, the parts
catch up with the car. Yesterday I found a car missing a tack board and,
sure enough, it was in the pile.

Bill Darnaby

Clark Propst

Most of the cars I've found with damage can be repaired is a couple of minutes. Last one had a missing tack broad (what's the correct name again?). Found one in the scrap box, glued it on and painted it. Box car was back in service.

Models made by Accurail and Bowser usually have protoypes. There have been several articles written on how to make them look like they have separate parts. If you choose the correct paint scheme. Along with some nice weathering they will do nicely.

IMO while Gene is waiting for 'floor money' he should be building all the kits his accomulated over the years and not worrying about any other freight cars until his layout is running.

Focus Old Jedi

Clark Propst

Armand Premo

How do you handle your "Ham Handed"crew members? Armand Premo

Most of the cars I've found with damage can be repaired is a couple of minutes. Last one had a missing tack broad (what's the correct name again?). Found one in the scrap box, glued it on and painted it. Box car was back in service.

Models made by Accurail and Bowser usually have protoypes. There have been several articles written on how to make them look like they have separate parts. If you choose the correct paint scheme. Along with some nice weathering they will do nicely.

IMO while Gene is waiting for 'floor money' he should be building all the kits his accomulated over the years and not worrying about any other freight cars until his layout is running.

Focus Old Jedi

Clark Propst

Bill Welch

Are they not Placard Boards and Route Card holders to which their namesakes are tacked?

Bill Welch

--- In STMFC@..., cepropst@... wrote:

Most of the cars I've found with damage can be repaired is a couple of minutes. Last one had a missing tack broad (what's the correct name again?). Found one in the scrap box, glued it on and painted it. Box car was back in service.

Models made by Accurail and Bowser usually have protoypes. There have been several articles written on how to make them look like they have separate parts. If you choose the correct paint scheme. Along with some nice weathering they will do nicely.

IMO while Gene is waiting for 'floor money' he should be building all the kits his accomulated over the years and not worrying about any other freight cars until his layout is running.

Focus Old Jedi

Clark Propst

Pierre <pierre.oliver@...>

Firing squad at dawn?
Pierre Oliver

How do you handle your "Ham Handed"crew members? Armand Premo
Most of the cars I've found with damage can be repaired is a couple of minutes. Last one had a missing tack broad (what's the correct name again?). Found one in the scrap box, glued it on and painted it. Box car was back in service.

Models made by Accurail and Bowser usually have protoypes. There have been several articles written on how to make them look like they have separate parts. If you choose the correct paint scheme. Along with some nice weathering they will do nicely.

IMO while Gene is waiting for 'floor money' he should be building all the kits his accomulated over the years and not worrying about any other freight cars until his layout is running.

Focus Old Jedi

Clark Propst

Jack Burgess <jack@...>

Armand asked:
<
< How do you handle your "Ham Handed"crew members?

When I have an operating session with modelers who have not previously
operated on my layout, I do an 15-minute orientation for everyone giving a
general overview of the operations, how to know which toggles operate which
turnouts, clearance point paint colors, the need to line all turnouts to the
mainline position, etc. I also make sure that everyone knows that NO ONE IS
ALLOWED to touch the equipment. If there is a derailment, they are to call
me and I'll take care of it. Cars are NOT to be picked up to uncouple them.
TTs and switchlists are not allowed to be placed on the layout nor elbows.

I've never had a problem with visiting operators not understanding why I
insist on this level of "hands off". If I know an operator is a
detail-oriented scratchbuilder, I will relax the restrictions on them but I
need to personally know that. (Darnaby can rerail all the cars he needs.)

But for this approach to work, you need to have good track work with few if
any derailments (operator error doesn't count and I usually have someone
forget to set a derail and go off of the track..they do work <g>). You also
need to block the layout so that, when someone goes through a turnout the
wrong way, it doesn't shut down the whole layout (which causes everyone to
feel the need to push their engine to re-establish power).

Just my approach...

Jack Burgess
www.yosemitevalleyrr.com

Andrew Miller <aslmmiller@...>

Why do you wait unitl dawn? ;-)

Andy Miller

> How do you handle your "Ham Handed"crew members? Armand Premo

Pierre <pierre.oliver@...>

Tradition?!
Pierre Oliver

--- In STMFC@..., "Andrew Miller" <aslmmiller@...> wrote:

Why do you wait unitl dawn? ;-)

Andy Miller
> How do you handle your "Ham Handed"crew members? Armand Premo

Gene <bierglaeser@...>

--- In STMFC@..., cepropst@... wrote:
<snip>
IMO while Gene is waiting for 'floor money' he should be building all the kits his accomulated over the years and not worrying about any other freight cars until his layout is running.
Clark Propst
Clark,
When you're right, you're right! The rest of my response will go only to Clark.

After reading a number of posts subsequent to Clark's, perhaps I have been overly concerned about damage to freight cars.

Gene Green