ORER help

Ian Cranstone

On 2010-10-04, at 6:18 PM, Bill Welch wrote:

I am trying to narrow down when two groups of Fruit Growers Express
steel rebuilds first appeared in the ORER. Here is what I know about
each.

FGEX 10850-10999 appeared by July 1937 and was not in the July 1936
ORER entry. If you have an ORER between these two dates, could you
let me know whether or not this series is present?
This would probably show in the supplements issued every other month between these two dates, which unfortunately I don't have one potential source is the New York City Public Library which has the ORER on microfilm from 1895 to 1960, and having seen these particular supplements a few years ago I can assure you that they have them.

FGEX 52600-52999 appeared by October 1940 but was not present in the
April 1940 edition. If you have access to the July 1940 Edition, can
you tell me if this series is or is not present?
There are three series present in the July 1940 covering this number range:

52000-52679: 180 cars
52680-52779: 100 cars (symbols next to this series denote both increase and reduction)
52780-52999: 1 car

Ian Cranstone
Osgoode, Ontario, Canada
lamontc@...
http://freightcars.nakina.net
http://siberians.nakina.net

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Rich Burg wrote:
As for the need for a July 1940 ORER issue, that issue is part of the Kalmbach Memorial Library collection, and you could probably get the information from them directly. Issues in 1940, and early 1941 seem to be hard to find, at least in my circle of collectors. Al Westerfield has the Jan. 1940 issue . . .
I have the April 1940 issue. But for most things I rely on the CSRM collection, which is largely complete from 1898 into the late 1960s.

Publishers of books on railroad history

proto48er

Rich -

I have the ORER's for May, 1934, and November, 1935: however, I have not found any issue from 1936 for sale. Also have April, 1940 and April, 1941 issues.

A.T. Kott

--- In STMFC@..., cinderandeight@... wrote:

Bill,
First off, there were no ORER issues between July 1936, and July 1937.
The ORER went to yearly July publication due to the depression in July
1932 after being published monthly before that date. The publication went to
quarterly starting with the July 1937 issue. There were small monthly
updates published in the interim. Somewhere in my seemingly endless files I
have some of them, but after a move I can't seem to locate them. I'll renew
my efforts to find them and report to you if I have one that has your
needs.
As for the need for a July 1940 ORER issue, that issue is part of the
Kalmbach Memorial Library collection, and you could probably get the
information from them directly. Issues in 1940, and early 1941 seem to be hard
to find, at least in my circle of collectors. Al Westerfield has the Jan.
1940 issue, and the KML issue is the only other one I know about personally.
Anyone out there with more? Trading some sections would be welcome.
Rich Burg

Bill Welch

Thanks Richard

For now it sounds like my july 1937 entry is the authority for one question and I will write KML about the second.

Bill Welch

[...]

I think this is a narrow enough question to request offline responses
if you can help.

Thanks for listening!

Bill Welch
2225 Nursery Road; #20-104