Branchline Blueprint 40 ft postwar AAR boxcar

Larry Kline

Was the Branchline Blueprint 40 ft postwar AAR boxcar produced lettered for P&LE?

Does anyone have a photo of a Branchline Blueprint 40 ft, 6 ft door, postwar AAR boxcar, lettered for P&LE, that I can use in my Naperville talk next week?

Larry Kline
Pittsburgh

Ed Hawkins

On Oct 13, 2010, at 4:38 PM, Larry Kline wrote:

Was the Branchline Blueprint 40 ft postwar AAR boxcar produced
lettered for P&LE?

Does anyone have a photo of a Branchline Blueprint 40 ft, 6 ft door,
postwar AAR boxcar, lettered for P&LE, that I can use in my Naperville
talk next week?
Larry,
P&LE 5000-5999, Lot 774-B, built by Despatch Shops 3-49 can accurately
be modeled with the BT kits. However, I don't believe that BT produced
any P&LE kits.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

Bill Schneider

On Oct 13, 2010, at 4:38 PM, Larry Kline wrote:

Was the Branchline Blueprint 40 ft postwar AAR boxcar produced
lettered for P&LE?

Does anyone have a photo of a Branchline Blueprint 40 ft, 6 ft door,
postwar AAR boxcar, lettered for P&LE, that I can use in my Naperville
talk next week?
Larry,
P&LE 5000-5999, Lot 774-B, built by Despatch Shops 3-49 can accurately
be modeled with the BT kits. However, I don't believe that BT produced
any P&LE kits.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

I have it on pretty good authority that they did not....

Bill Schneider

SUVCWORR@...

Larry,

AFAIK they never did the Blueprint series in P&LE. They did do the Yardmaster in a P&LE post WWII scheme.

Rich Orr

Was the Branchline Blueprint 40 ft postwar AAR boxcar produced lettered for
P&LE?

Does anyone have a photo of a Branchline Blueprint 40 ft, 6 ft door, postwar AAR
boxcar, lettered for P&LE, that I can use in my Naperville talk next week?

Larry Kline
Pittsburgh

Larry Kline

Bill, Thanks, now I know for sure. Larry

On Oct 13, 2010, at 4:38 PM, Larry Kline wrote:

Was the Branchline Blueprint 40 ft postwar AAR boxcar produced
lettered for P&LE?

Does anyone have a photo of a Branchline Blueprint 40 ft, 6 ft
door, postwar AAR boxcar, lettered for P&LE, that I can use in
my Naperville talk next week?
I have it on pretty good authority that they did not....

Bill Schneider

jerryglow2

Since I have the pre '55 system herald, it wouldn't be that much of a streach to do a set for the car to augment the one I already have for a rebuilt (Tichy model) car. Any interest?

Jerry Glow
http://home.comcast.net/~jerryglow/decals/

--- In STMFC@..., SUVCWORR@... wrote:

Larry,

AFAIK they never did the Blueprint series in P&LE. They did do the Yardmaster in a P&LE post WWII scheme.

Rich Orr

Was the Branchline Blueprint 40 ft postwar AAR boxcar produced lettered for
P&LE?

Does anyone have a photo of a Branchline Blueprint 40 ft, 6 ft door, postwar AAR
boxcar, lettered for P&LE, that I can use in my Naperville talk next week?

Larry Kline
Pittsburgh

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Jerry;

Yes, and also for "Steel Centers" scheme.

Elden Gatwood

--- In STMFC@... <mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com> , SUVCWORR@...
wrote:

Larry,

AFAIK they never did the Blueprint series in P&LE. They did do the
Yardmaster in a P&LE post WWII scheme.

Rich Orr

Was the Branchline Blueprint 40 ft postwar AAR boxcar produced
lettered for P&LE?

Does anyone have a photo of a Branchline Blueprint 40 ft, 6 ft door,
postwar AAR boxcar, lettered for P&LE, that I can use in my Naperville talk
next week?

Larry Kline
Pittsburgh

James F. Brewer <jfbrewer@...>

Ditto

Jim Brewer

Yes, and also for "Steel Centers" scheme.

Elden Gatwood

Yes, and also for "Steel Centers" scheme.

Elden Gatwood

Was the Branchline Blueprint 40 ft postwar AAR boxcar produced
lettered for P&LE?

Does anyone have a photo of a Branchline Blueprint 40 ft, 6 ft door,
postwar AAR boxcar, lettered for P&LE, that I can use in my Naperville talk
next week?

Larry Kline
Pittsburgh

Ed,

I didn't think that Branchline made a 40 ft overhanging diagonal panel
(ZU eave) roof. Did they? Jeff English once commented that this group of
P&LE cars were the first box cars on the NYC system with ODP roofs.

Tim O'Connor

Was the Branchline Blueprint 40 ft postwar AAR boxcar produced
lettered for P&LE?

Does anyone have a photo of a Branchline Blueprint 40 ft, 6 ft door,
postwar AAR boxcar, lettered for P&LE, that I can use in my Naperville
talk next week?
Larry,
P&LE 5000-5999, Lot 774-B, built by Despatch Shops 3-49 can accurately
be modeled with the BT kits. However, I don't believe that BT produced
any P&LE kits.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

Tim O'Connor

Ed

Oops, nevermind, I was thinking of P&LE 20000-20999 lot 800-B built
a year after 5000-5999.

By the way, CDS set #458 is exactly right for P&LE 5000-5999.
http://www.canadasouthern.com/tmr/images/cds-458.jpg

I also vote for the Serves the Steel Centers repaints! That scheme
was applied as well to 1937 AAR box cars.

Tim O'Connor

On Oct 16, 2010, at 10:44 AM, Tim O'Connor wrote:

I didn't think that Branchline made a 40 ft overhanging diagonal panel
(ZU eave) roof. Did they? Jeff English once commented that this group
of
P&LE cars were the first box cars on the NYC system with ODP roofs.
Tim,
BT offers a 50' ODP, but not a 40' ODP.

There were a number of series of 40' box cars having this type of roof
built from 1950-1953 including 3 series for P&LE, 2 series for NYC, and
one series each for PRR and UP. More came in the late 1950s for GN,
PRR, and UP. In addition there were several series of 40' insulated box
cars including BAR, NH, & MILW built from 1953-1956.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

Tim O'Connor

Thanks Ed. Add B&O M-66, M-67 (PS ZU eave), NP (combo doors)
to your list of 40 ft box cars. Many rebuilds received ZU eave
roofs too but that was after 1960.

What class of new PRR box cars received ODP roofs 1950-1953? I
only have information for some X29 rebuilds.

Quite a few insulated 40' box cars received ODP roofs including
many rebuilds prior to 1961 but I digress...

Tim O'Connor

-----------------------------

Tim,
BT offers a 50' ODP, but not a 40' ODP.

There were a number of series of 40' box cars having this type of roof
built from 1950-1953 including 3 series for P&LE, 2 series for NYC, and
one series each for PRR and UP. More came in the late 1950s for GN,
PRR, and UP. In addition there were several series of 40' insulated box
cars including BAR, NH, & MILW built from 1953-1956.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

SUVCWORR@...

Tim,

Branchline had not made the 40 ft overhanging roof. They do have a 50 ft overhanging roof from which 10 ft can be removed. I have been hounding them for at least the last 3 years to make the 40 ft. With the interchangeable ends and sides they currently have, this roof would provide a number of additional configurations they could market for a relatively small investment in one die.

Rich Orr

I didn't think that Branchline made a 40 ft overhanging diagonal panel
(ZU eave) roof. Did they? Jeff English once commented that this group of
P&LE cars were the first box cars on the NYC system with ODP roofs.

Tim O'Connor

Was the Branchline Blueprint 40 ft postwar AAR boxcar produced
lettered for P&LE?

Does anyone have a photo of a Branchline Blueprint 40 ft, 6 ft door,
postwar AAR boxcar, lettered for P&LE, that I can use in my Naperville
talk next week?
Larry,
P&LE 5000-5999, Lot 774-B, built by Despatch Shops 3-49 can accurately
be modeled with the BT kits. However, I don't believe that BT produced
any P&LE kits.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

Rich, I think all of the roofs for the 40' cars are in one mold. This
was how they could cost-effectively give you all of the roof and other
options in an undec kit. A new mold would greatly increase costs, not
just the mold itself but also manufacturing cost.

On Oct 16, 2010, at 12:06 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:

What class of new PRR box cars received ODP roofs 1950-1953? I
only have information for some X29 rebuilds.
Tim,
X46, PRR 86901-87650, ca. 9-53, 8' door openings, straight side sills.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

SUVCWORR@...

Tim, that could be. I am most familiar with the manner in which C&BT shops molded cars. The molds were in parts, ends, sides and roof. All of the ends fit all the sides and all the roofs fit all the sides so they were interchangeable. The three mold parts were fitted together and clamped into one master mold. I did assume Branchline used a similar setup.

Rich

Rich, I think all of the roofs for the 40' cars are in one mold. This
was how they could cost-effectively give you all of the roof and other
options in an undec kit. A new mold would greatly increase costs, not
just the mold itself but also manufacturing cost.

Tim O'Connor

Tim,

Branchline had not made the 40 ft overhanging roof. They do have a 50 ft
overhanging roof from which 10 ft can be removed. I have been hounding them for
at least the last 3 years to make the 40 ft. With the interchangeable ends and
sides they currently have, this roof would provide a number of additional
configurations they could market for a relatively small investment in one die.

Rich Orr

Schuyler Larrabee

I don't think that's right. It wouldn't be all THAT expensive to make one
mold for a specific roof and add it to a kit. They could simply add the new
roof to the kit with the old roof still in there, or if they wanted to go to
the trouble, they could salvage the "wrong" roof from the kit molding, and
recycle the plastic. This may muddy the waters, but when ELHS worked with
Intermountain, they cut a new roof to fit the other mold parts so we could
get a specific combination of sides, ends and roof which they had in
separate kit, but not together. They could mate up the sides and ends, but
not the roof they already had, so they made a separate, new, mold for the
roof to fit the other two parts. I realize that BL kits are differently
structured, so it may not be quite as simple, but it still seems feasible.

SGL

Rich, I think all of the roofs for the 40' cars are in one mold. This
was how they could cost-effectively give you all of the roof and other
options in an undec kit. A new mold would greatly increase costs, not
just the mold itself but also manufacturing cost.

Tim O'Connor

Tim,

Branchline had not made the 40 ft overhanging roof. They do have a 50 ft
overhanging roof from which 10 ft can be removed. I have been hounding them
for at least the last 3 years to make the 40 ft. With the interchangeable
ends and sides they currently have, this roof would provide a number of
additional configurations they could market for a relatively small
investment in one die.

Rich Orr

=======
=======

=======
http://www.pctools.com/
=======

haagtk <haagtk@...>

I doubt that Branchline will ever release a 40' version of their overhanging roof. As others mentioned their 50' version can be cut down to 40'. However I think a better option is to use the Moloco 50' roof and then cut it down to 40'. I have heard that this roof is of a slightly later prototype but I still think that it looks better than the Branchline overhanging roof.

I have added a photo to the Files section of my PRR X54 plugdoor boxcar that I added a shortened Moloco roof to.

See:
http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/QOW6TEl199HFUJU8rQ3QXwPJ5p48L1OO2hq0f0EpyCnuOhrhkJ2JSe3Pz-ftgOZWHXzAjiCpmHL0wapN6N5TNVVKa0A/Moloco%20Roof%20Cut%20Down%20to%2040%27

Or look under "Moloco Roof"

By the way the X54 was kitbashed from a 50' Branchline plugdoor boxcar by cutting ~5' away from each end, deepening the sidesill, and shortening the underframe. The PRR decals are my own that I designed and had DM Decals print.

-Tom Haag

Clark Propst

One thing you guys are forgetting. They aren't producing any 'Blueprint' series kits.

Clark propst