From: sctry <JGreedy@...>
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Sun, October 17, 2010 8:07:27 PM
Subject: [STMFC] RRED Shirt Day for STMFC at Naperville

Once again, the Chief Dispatcher of the "Shirts" (aka: Chicago shirt mafia,
Polish National Tour Bowling and Steam Era Modeling Society, those guys with the
shirts, etc.) has declarerd Saturday, October 24, 2010 to be RED SHIRT DAY at
RPM Naperville. He encourages all members in good standing to wear the colors
to maximize their enjoyment of all the Steam Era Freight Car models, clinics and
hospitality and if by chance you can not attend Naperville then we will see you
at Cocoa Beach!

J. Greedy
Recording Secretary - SHIRTS
(unofficially appointed)

Tim O'Connor

Hmmmmm. And what exactly distinguishes a "red shirt" from a "vest"
(as in: "vesties"). What is this costume/uniform theme all about?

Just wonderin'.

Tim O'Connor

Once again, the Chief Dispatcher of the "Shirts" (aka: Chicago shirt mafia, Polish National Tour Bowling and Steam Era Modeling Society, those guys with the shirts, etc.) has declarerd Saturday, October 24, 2010 to be RED SHIRT DAY at RPM Naperville. He encourages all members in good standing to wear the colors to maximize their enjoyment of all the Steam Era Freight Car models, clinics and hospitality and if by chance you can not attend Naperville then we will see you at Cocoa Beach!

J. Greedy
Recording Secretary - SHIRTS
(unofficially appointed)

Brian Carlson

I immediately thought of Star Trek Red Shirts and you did not want to be one
of those guys on an away team.

Brian J. Carlson, P.E.

Cheektowaga NY

prrk41361@...

Hmmmmm. And what exactly distinguishes a "red shirt" from a "vest"
(as in: "vesties"). What is this costume/uniform theme all about?

Richard Hendrickson

On Oct 17, 2010, at 6:55 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:

Hmmmmm. And what exactly distinguishes a "red shirt" from a "vest"
(as in: "vesties"). What is this costume/uniform theme all about?
Well, I'm going to wear my black "Friends of the Freight Car" shirt
on Saturday, and that's as close to "vestie-ness" as I ever want to get.

Richard Hendrickson

sctry

Right you are. Saturday, October 23, 2010 is RED shirt day.

J. Greedy

--- In STMFC@..., Allen Rueter <allen_282@...> wrote:

You mean Saturday Oct 23?

--
Allen Rueter
StLouis MO

________________________________

soolinehistory <destorzek@...>

Hmmmmm. And what exactly distinguishes a "red shirt" from a "vest"
(as in: "vesties"). What is this costume/uniform theme all about?

Just wonderin'.

Tim O'Connor
The wearers of the red shirts tend to be younger than vesties, and probably have more hair; otherwise, not much.

Dennis

Bill Welch

Tim:

Surely you have noticed that on Saturdays there are a group of us running around in Hawaiian shirts. Mr. Jim Singer purchased a bunch of these one year and gifted them to his posse, Mark V., Stan R., etc and then it spread to a few more of us with a passion for freight cars (to keep us inside the rules of this list). Thank you to Dennis S. from Dr. D. and myself for keeping us young.

I have to go now. I am in a panic because I cannot find either of my shirts!

Bill Welch

--- In STMFC@..., "soolinehistory" <destorzek@...> wrote:

--- In STMFC@..., Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@> wrote:

Hmmmmm. And what exactly distinguishes a "red shirt" from a "vest"
(as in: "vesties"). What is this costume/uniform theme all about?

Just wonderin'.

Tim O'Connor
The wearers of the red shirts tend to be younger than vesties, and probably have more hair; otherwise, not much.

Dennis

Steve Lucas <stevelucas3@...>

Um, guys, Fridays are red shirt days--

In the US--

http://www.redshirtfridays.org/

In Canada--

http://www.redfridays.ca/

In the UK--

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=150226645598

Modellers can wear red shirts on Fridays, too.

Steve Lucas.

(who has to buy another red shirt or two for Fridays).

--- In STMFC@..., "soolinehistory" <destorzek@...> wrote:

--- In STMFC@..., Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@> wrote:

Hmmmmm. And what exactly distinguishes a "red shirt" from a "vest"
(as in: "vesties"). What is this costume/uniform theme all about?

Just wonderin'.

Tim O'Connor
The wearers of the red shirts tend to be younger than vesties, and probably have more hair; otherwise, not much.

Dennis

Armand Premo

What,No Speedos at freight car meets? Armand Premo

Surely you have noticed that on Saturdays there are a group of us running around in Hawaiian shirts. Mr. Jim Singer purchased a bunch of these one year and gifted them to his posse, Mark V., Stan R., etc and then it spread to a few more of us with a passion for freight cars (to keep us inside the rules of this list). Thank you to Dennis S. from Dr. D. and myself for keeping us young.

I have to go now. I am in a panic because I cannot find either of my shirts!

Bill Welch

--- In STMFC@..., "soolinehistory" <destorzek@...> wrote:

> --- In STMFC@..., Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@> wrote:
> >

> > Hmmmmm. And what exactly distinguishes a "red shirt" from a "vest"
> > (as in: "vesties"). What is this costume/uniform theme all about?
> >
> > Just wonderin'.
> >
> > Tim O'Connor
>
> The wearers of the red shirts tend to be younger than vesties, and probably have more hair; otherwise, not much.
>
> Dennis

I truly never noticed Bill, but I have no problem with folks who
want to make a fashion statement. :-) Like Richard, I like to wear
my FFC shirts at RPM meets. As for staying young, I'm in favor of
that too!

Tim O'

Tim:

Surely you have noticed that on Saturdays there are a group of us running around in Hawaiian shirts. Mr. Jim Singer purchased a bunch of these one year and gifted them to his posse, Mark V., Stan R., etc and then it spread to a few more of us with a passion for freight cars (to keep us inside the rules of this list). Thank you to Dennis S. from Dr. D. and myself for keeping us young.

I have to go now. I am in a panic because I cannot find either of my shirts!

Bill Welch

pullmanboss <tcmadden@...>

Bill Welch:
Surely you have noticed that on Saturdays there are a group of us running around in Hawaiian shirts.
I thought the Hawaiian shirt - Speedo costume was unique to Cocoa Beach.

Tom Madden

mike brock <brockm@...>

There seems to be some concern about the validity...some might even venture...good taste regarding the Hawaiian [?] shirts...and speedo that one of our membersd apparently wears out on the beach late in the evening. As far as I can tell, there appears to be little in the way of a beach at Naperville but Cocoa Beach has a real beach and I'm guessing that wearing a speedo on the streets of Naperville might get you a free room night somewhere in the city other than the hotel. Regardless, I have received some questions from the hotel staff in Cocoa Beach about the possibility of one of our guys wearing a speedo on the beach after midnight. I of course deny any possibility of one of our guys...I mean...a speedo? You're kidding, right? BTW, for those curious...there is really nothing illegal about wearing a speedo [ or any part of it ] in Cocoa Beach...well, there is the matter of taste I guess. The real issue concerns the loggerhead turtles. For those that don't know, Cocoa Beach is one of their prime nesting areas and the little buggers [ the newly hatched ] head for the water soon after hatching. Lights confuse them [ so such lights are not legal during the night ] and, apparently, someone [ to be nameless ] wore a brightly colored speedo on the beach late in the night which caused 12 little bugger turtles to head for the Hilton's swimming pool. This caused another problem [ noises sounding like screams ] at the pool [ apparently several "guests" were trying out the pool sans speedos...or anything else ]...not our guys of course when the turtles arrived.

BTW, for those that don't know, Cocoa Beach...while normally a rather sedate and conservative place these days...was once home to a rather more "fun loving" crowd, particularly back in the mid 60's when the space program was in its infancy. More than one self styled astronut tried unsuccessfully to reach orbit after dining in the old Mousetrap restaurant [ long gone I fear...burned down a few yrs ago when another potential astronut thought he could...well...anyhow it was a famous landmark. Durangos sits there now although, alas, it is now closed. Nooo problem, we'll be doing our dinner at Silvestro's not far from the hotel. And, while the subject of Cocoa Beach's night life is still on my mind, when those that attend Prototype Rails are here in Jan, you might note that back in the early 80's [ I think ], the NASA Center Director [ the guy in charge at vKennedy Space Center ] apparently thought he was in charge of most things here and was apparently caught running down the beach late at night sans speedo or anything else, not having taken the time to dress before he leaped out of a window of a nearby house. Try as he could he was unable to convince the local security officials that he was simply in training. He, BTW, did not retain his position at the center for too many nights thereafter. He upset the turtles of course.

Mike Brock

Brian Carlson

Denny threatened that once at Cocoa. As far as I know it never happened,
thankfully.

Brian J. Carlson, P.E.

Cheektowaga NY

prrk41361@...

--- In STMFC@... <mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com> ,
"soolinehistory" <destorzek@...> wrote:

--- In STMFC@... <mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com> , Tim
O'Connor <timboconnor@> wrote:

Hmmmmm. And what exactly distinguishes a "red shirt" from a "vest"
(as in: "vesties"). What is this costume/uniform theme all about?

Just wonderin'.

Tim O'Connor
The wearers of the red shirts tend to be younger than vesties, and
probably have more hair; otherwise, not much.

Dennis
02:34:00

Schuyler Larrabee

Not that you KNOW about, Brian, but knowing Denny . . . .

SGL, R.A.

prrk41361@... <mailto:prrk41361%40yahoo.com>

From: STMFC@... <mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com>

O'Connor <timboconnor@> wrote:

Hmmmmm. And what exactly distinguishes a "red shirt" from a "vest"
(as in: "vesties"). What is this costume/uniform theme all about?

Just wonderin'.

Tim O'Connor
The wearers of the red shirts tend to be younger than vesties, and
probably have more hair; otherwise, not much.

Dennis
02:34:00

=======
=======

=======
http://www.pctools.com/
=======

Brian Carlson

SGL, Ok, let me clarify, I did not see it. But your right, I didn't see the
moon landings either but that doesn't mean they didn't happen.

Brian J. Carlson, P.E.

Cheektowaga NY

prrk41361@...

From: STMFC@... <mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com>