research, index,db,yeah, steam era and freight cars, can this group

Charlie Vlk

Slicing and dicing is great if you know in advance what you might need 10-15 years from now..... if your interests are fixed and not subject to change cutting apart magazines does save space. But I find the advertisements to have some value as they often show products that can shed light on modeling / research projects.
Besides, I find myself interested in things related to the history of the Hobby.
Seems to me if you want to just save selected pages scanning would be more efficient than having to file paper shreds.
Hopefully Model Railroader, Railroad Model Craftsman, etc.. will make this discussion moot by issuing searchable archival disks like Trains Magazine is doing for the first 70 years of publication.
I do agree that it is the information that is important, not the uncounted (so far... we're starting to pack for a long-distance move!!) pounds of paper and shelf space it takes up.
Charlie Vlk

ken_olson54022 <kwolson@...>

--- In STMFC@..., Monk Alan <Alan.Monk@...> wrote:

My preferred solution to the great magazine indexing issue is to fillet the individual issues for the articles I want to keep for future reference and bin/recycle the rest.
That works wonderfully if your interests never change over your entire lifetime.
Certainly wouldn't work for me.......
:-{

Ken Olson

Monk Alan <Alan.Monk@...>

My preferred solution to the great magazine indexing issue is to fillet the individual issues for the articles I want to keep for future reference and bin/recycle the rest. A good issue might be 25% good/75% bad in terms of useful articles... why on earth would you keep hold of the 75% bad??

Each filleted article is placed in plastic pocket and this then filed in a lever-arch file with similar articles - so if I want DS boxcars I just pull one file off the shelf and it's all there. Ditto for gons, cabeese, etc. So far, about 1 dozen lever-arch files of US-related articles (and about 20-odd for UK stuff).

You could divide by subject (locos, box cars, gons, layout planning, scenery, structures, track, etc) or by RR, with further sub-divisions (wood box-cars, steel boxcars, etc) whichever works best for you. I also include kit instructions in with the relevant folders, especially if they contain useful prototype info.

Pros - Saves me time (no wading through indexes, then getting distracted by other articles or, worse, adverts for stuff long out of production) and shelf-space/weight (any idea how heavy 25 years-worth of complete mags are??)

The main con is that there'll always be that one article you didn't keep... or worse, you one day change era/location/RR and suddenly your library's usefulness drops :(

But even eliminating the ads will cut the space/weight problem - and I have to say that the UK mags are ahead of the game here (and have been for many years) with all the adverts placed en-bloc at each end of the mag, leaving all the articles and features in one easily removed section in the middle - my local club recently went through our entire magazine library and removed all the ads from the UK magazines, saving around 60% on the shelf space and weight formerly required to store the whole collection with ads!

HTH,
Alan Monk,
London, UK

The contents of the e-mail and any transmitted files are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. Transport for London hereby exclude any warranty and any liability as to the quality or accuracy of the contents of this email and any attached transmitted files. If you are not the intended recipient be advised that you have received this email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this email is strictly prohibited., If you have received this email in error please notify postmaster@...., This email has been sent from Transport for London, or from one of the companies within its control within the meaning of Part V of the Local Government and Housing Act 1989. Further details about TfL and its subsidiary companies can be found at http://www.tfl.gov.uk/ourcompany, This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept for the presence of computer viruses.