Tank car types

Clark Propst

I have a friend struggling with his tank car fleet (asked some questions on his behalf at N'ville) He asked me last night what TPI and TVI AAR codes mean. We guessed that TPI was a pressurized, insulated tank car, but haven't a clue about TVI.

He's main interest right now is in the Staley fleet.
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Clark Propst wrote:
I have a friend struggling with his tank car fleet (asked some questions on his behalf at N'ville) He asked me last night what TPI and TVI AAR codes mean. We guessed that TPI was a pressurized, insulated tank car, but haven't a clue about TVI.
My ORER copies from the 1940s and 1950s have no "TV" classification. The suffix "I", as you surmise, means "insulated." Might he mean "TW"? That's a tank with a wooden container.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Clark Propst

Tanks for the quick responce Tony! He models 1972, so TVI may not have been invented yet during the time of this list?
Clark Propst

Clark Propst wrote:
Tanks for the quick responce Tony! He models 1972, so TVI may not have been invented yet during the time of this list?
Nope. By 1970 all the AAR Mechanical Designations for tank cars had been simplified to "T" for all cars.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Ian Cranstone

On 2010-10-26, at 2:42 PM, Clark and Eileen wrote:

I have a friend struggling with his tank car fleet (asked some questions on his behalf at N'ville) He asked me last night what TPI and TVI AAR codes mean. We guessed that TPI was a pressurized, insulated tank car, but haven't a clue about TVI.

TVI is an oddball designation, turning up only in the mid- to late-1960s (1966-1968 for sure). The definition is:

Tank car equipped with insulated container having an inner and outer shell with a vacuum in the annular space to AAR Specification 204-W.

Sounds like a giant thermos bottle to me!

Ian Cranstone
Osgoode, Ontario, Canada
lamontc@...
http://freightcars.nakina.net
http://siberians.nakina.net

tmolsen@...

Tony and all,

The Class "TVI" is a very late STMFC tank car type, added to the listings sometime between mid-1959 and October 1961. My January 1961 (eff. October 31, 1960) shows the following AAR description of a "TVI" designation:

"TVI" - Tank car equipped with insulated container having an inner and outer shell with a vacuum in the annular space to AAR Specification 204-W."

Tom Olsen
7 Boundary Road, West Branch
Newark, Delaware, 19711-7479
(302) 738-4292 (H)
(302) 740-2897 (C)
tmolsen@...

tmolsen@...

I meant to say that this "AAR" tank car designation appeared in the latter part of this list's time period between January 1959 and our cut-off at the end of 1960. I have a gap in my ORERs between January 1959 and the January 1961 issue.

Perhaps someone else who has these registers can fill us in when this AAR designation appeared. It would be interesting to see what one of these tank cars looked like.

Tom Olsen
Newark, Delaware, 19711-7479

Frank Greene

"TVI" is in the October 1960 ORER.