Pickles car

Bill Lane

All,

I am hoping to find some drawings and/or photos of the Heinz Pickle car.
While I like the car with the exposed tanks I am more interested in the
"gondola" type. I saw it in a car builders I have but no plans were there.
They are for a project I want to do - a "good enough" run of 2 or 3 cars as
possibly my first scratchbuilding effort in S.. I could go for an HO plan
with a few basic dimensions if necessary or if there is a close (&
inexpensive) HO plastic car I could use for a reference.

Please reply directly with what you have.

Thank You,
Bill Lane

Modeling the Mighty Pennsy & PRSL in 1957 in S Scale since 1988

See my finished models at:
<http://www.lanestrains.com/> http://www.lanestrains.com
Look at what has been made in PRR in S Scale!

Custom Train Parts Design
<http://www.lanestrains.com/SolidWorks_Modeling.htm>
http://www.lanestrains.com/SolidWorks_Modeling.htm

PRR Builders Photos Bought, Sold & Traded
(Trading is MUCH preferred)
<http://www.lanestrains.com/PRRphotos.xls>
http://www.lanestrains.com/PRRphotos.xls

***Join the PRR T&HS***
The other members are not ALL like me!
<http://www.prrths.com/> http://www.prrths.com
<http://www.lanestrains.com/PRRTHS_Application.pdf>
http://www.lanestrains.com/PRRTHS_Application.pdf

Join the Pennsylvania Reading Seashore Lines Historical Society
It's FREE to join! <http://www.prslhs.com/> http://www.prslhs.com
Preserving The Memory Of The PRSL

Gene Deimling <losgatos48@...>

Bill
I have a drawing for a "coffin style" pickle car once operated by H.J. Heinz. I can scan it and send it to you.

Gene Deimling
El Dorado Hills

Bill Lane <bill@lanestrains.com> wrote:

[...]

Benjamin Hom

Bill Lane asked:
"I am hoping to find some drawings and/or photos of the Heinz Pickle car.
While I like the car with the exposed tanks I am more interested in the
"gondola" type. I saw it in a car builders I have but no plans were there.
They are for a project I want to do - a "good enough" run of 2 or 3 cars as
possibly my first scratchbuilding effort in S. I could go for an HO plan
with a few basic dimensions if necessary or if there is a close (&
inexpensive) HO plastic car I could use for a reference."

Bill, is this the type of car that you're looking for?
http://tinyurl.com/Pickle-Car-Sides

Builder's photos of the following cars were published in the CBC:
HJHX 73, 1931 CBC
HJHX 115, 1949 CBC

Plans also were published in the July 1954 issue of Railroad Model
Craftsman - I'll check tonight to see if I have this issue to see if it's
the same type of car that we're looking for.

The Athearn and Bachmann models of this "coffin" style car aren't very good
- the roof and underframe are incorrect, so I would advise aganist using
these models as a pattern.

If you'd like an earlier car, Westerfield has a 36 ft Heinz car:
http://tinyurl.com/Westerfield-Claussen-Heinz

Ben Hom

David Sieber

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Bill Lane wrote: "... I am hoping to find some drawings and/or photos of the Heinz Pickle car. While I like the car with the exposed tanks I am more interested in the "gondola" type. I saw it in a car builders I have but no plans were there."

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Benjamin Hom replied: "Bill, is this the type of car that you're looking for? http://tinyurl.com/Pickle-Car-Sides ... Plans also were published in the July 1954 issue of Railroad Model Craftsman - I'll check tonight to see if I have this issue to see if it's the same type of car that we're looking for."

Bill and Ben,
I have the July 54 RMC right at hand, having found it at Des Plaines Hobbies while attending RPM Naperville. The article has two poor halftone 3/4-view photos of H.J. Heinz Picle Tank Car 73, plus plans and info on scratchbuilding the car. The prototype photos in the article are of the same car number as the ebay pickle car printed sides/ends/top (at tinyurl above), which appear nearly identical to the Athearn car, down to black hatch covers on the brown roof (unpainted black plastic on my two Athearn HJH 3 and HJH 70 cars in plastic). However, the plans and photos show that the prototype roof was T&G wood with 7 major and 6 minor reinforcing roof ribs, possibly in six removable sections, but with NO hatches. It's not clear from the photo whether the six rectangular pickle vats were inserted and removed vertically, or slid in and out sideways through removable side panels for pickle loading and unloading.
Bill, I'll attempt to scan the article and email it to you, but it's a typical magazine of the '50s on yellowing pulp paper, so may not come out as well as you might like. I also could xerox it for you and mail direct copies to you if you send me your mailing address (direct email, rather than to the group).
Hope this helps,
Dave Sieber, Reno NV

Benjamin Hom

Dave Sieber wrote:
"I have the July 54 RMC right at hand, having found it at Des Plaines Hobbies
while attending RPM Naperville. The article has two poor halftone 3/4-view
photos of H.J. Heinz Pickle Tank Car 73, plus plans and info on scratchbuilding
the car. The prototype photos in the article are of the same car number as the
ebay pickle car printed sides/ends/top (at tinyurl above), which appear nearly
identical to the Athearn car, down to black hatch covers on the brown roof
(unpainted black plastic on my two Athearn HJH 3 and HJH 70 cars in plastic).
However, the plans and photos show that the prototype roof was T&G wood with 7
major and 6 minor reinforcing roof ribs, possibly in six removable sections, but
with NO hatches. It's not clear from the photo whether the six rectangular
pickle vats were inserted and removed vertically, or slid in and out sideways
through removable side panels for pickle loading and unloading."

Dave, thanks for the backup.  Athearn used the same roof on their "coffin" type
car as they did on their "vat" type pickle car, which, as you pointed out, is
incorrect according to these drawings.

Ben Hom

frograbbit602

Bill in addition to the HO drawing of the Heinz pickle car which appeared in the July 1954 Railroad Model Craftsman another drawing with prototype car dimensions appeared in the December 1941 issue of The Model Craftsman. The 41 MC drawing shows the door rests attached to the wood running board when the six hinged roof sections were opened to gain access to the pickle tanks inside. The 54 RMC plan does not show this detail. I am getting this data from my notes on two pickle cars I built some years ago. I am sorry I can not find my copy of the 41 MC drawing which I remember I obtained from the Kalmbach Memorial Library for a copy fee and postage.

Lester Breuer

Richard Brennan <brennan8@...>

At 05:45 AM 11/2/2010, Bill Lane wrote:
I am hoping to find some drawings and/or photos of the Heinz Pickle car.
While I like the car with the exposed tanks I am more interested in the
"gondola" type. I saw it in a car builders I have but no plans were there.
They are for a project I want to do - a "good enough" run of 2 or 3 cars as
possibly my first scratchbuilding effort in S.. I could go for an HO plan
with a few basic dimensions if necessary or if there is a close (&
inexpensive) HO plastic car I could use for a reference.
You've seen the Heinz archive...?
<http://digital.library.pitt.edu/images/pittsburgh/heinz.html>http://digital.library.pitt.edu/images/pittsburgh/heinz.html

Search for "vinegar tank car"...
which should lead to: